Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First PCC Build - Feedback Before I Buy

Hey all, I’m looking at building my first PCC and I’d like feedback on my plan before I start buying anything. I’m thinking:

-Taccom complete ULW upper (~$500)

-PSA Complete Glock lower (~$150)

This would get me a complete rifle for $650 and let me did my toes into PCC. Once I get hooked, I’ll probably upgrade the trigger and swap out the stock and grip for ones I like better. I could buy just a lower and build it myself, but with how much less expensive the PSA complete lower is it seems like a no brainer. 

Thoughts?

Solid plan!  A lot of guys who are much better than me and who have their choice of equipment choose to run the ULW upper.  As far as the lower, while the PSA lower isn't top notch in fit/finish, it's really hard to beat the price for a complete lower.  One word of caution, I've heard of a lot of folks having ejection issues with the PSA lowers.  Most of the time, the issues are corrected by adding a slight bend to the ejector.

That's the exact setup I have, but with a Rise 140 trigger. 

It runs awesome with RN bullets. I can't get hollow points to work worth a damn though. So RN it is. 

I may try the feed ramp taccom offers at some point, I'm just not ready to cut into my upper yet to install it.

Edited by Matt1911
3 minutes ago, Matt1911 said:

That's the exact setup I have, but with a Rise 140 trigger. 

It runs awesome with RN bullets. I can't get hollow points to work worth a damn though. So RN it is. 

I may try the feed ramp taccom offers at some point, I'm just not ready to cut into my upper yet to install it.

Ill be running round nose anyway. 

I’m probably going to put the new CMC PCC flat trigger in it since my 3 gun rifle has a CMC flat trigger. 

Before you drop money on a trigger. Try just the light JP competition springs for 11 bucks or so. I have to PCCs. One with Hyperfire 3g and one with polished mil-spec and the forementioned springs. 

Hyperfire is better but to be honest  when shooting I do not notice. But that combo of springs and polish drastically improves your typical mil spec trigger.  

1 minute ago, Smithcity said:

If you want a reliable pcc that can feed various types of bullets, you will have best luck using an upper, lower, and barrel from the same manufacturer made for 9mm. 

I’ve heard this, but it adds quite a bit of cost. Plus, if I'm going to do my own lower build, I’m going to use a Coda Evolution lower, and they don’t make uppers. 

33 minutes ago, DKorn said:

I’ve heard this, but it adds quite a bit of cost. Plus, if I'm going to do my own lower build, I’m going to use a Coda Evolution lower, and they don’t make uppers. 

Then dont be surprised if it is unreliable and does not feed certain ammo.  The magazine presentation depth and angle relative to the chamber and chamber type are all critical. 

The is no milspec for 9mm ARs like there is for traditional 223 ARs

Edited by Smithcity
Just now, Smithcity said:

Then

Then dont be surprised if it is unreliable and does not feed certain ammo.  The magazine presentation depth and angle relative to the chamber and chamber type are all critical. 

I’m willing to take the time to tune a PCC-specific load if need be.

That said, if it’s going to make a big difference I’m willing to look at options. 

The taccom upper is definitely going to be included, so that won’t change. If I decide to do my own (better) lower assembly than the PSA, what would you go with as far as parts other than the lower itself?

1 minute ago, Smithcity said:

You can probably get away with a frankenbuild that works with only round nose and requires a specific OAL.

Given that it’ll be a competition and range toy only gun, and that I already load only round nose of a specific OAL for my pistol for USPSA, why is this a problem? I’m seriously wondering- many people bring it up as a problem, but then accept without comment that a Limited or Open gun may run only with certain loads. 

14 minutes ago, DKorn said:

Given that it’ll be a competition and range toy only gun, and that I already load only round nose of a specific OAL for my pistol for USPSA, why is this a problem? I’m seriously wondering- many people bring it up as a problem, but then accept without comment that a Limited or Open gun may run only with certain loads. 

Sounds like you know what you are getting yourself into. Shouldn't be a problem if you are ok experimenting until you figure out what runs in your build. Might have to play with different OALs and bullets.

I went down this road and was pissed when I couldn't run HPs in my AR9. All my reloads for production minor were 1.145" JHPs and nothing ran reliable in my AR9 except certain shape round nose at 1.13" OAL. Was hoping to use the same 9mm JHPs for both guns. Didn't work out that way.

14 minutes ago, DKorn said:

It's not really a problem. If it runs on the ammo you like to use then all is good. 

I wanted to try using hollow points in mine to maybe get a better knock down at a bowling pin match I occasionally attend but couldn't get them reliable in the setup I use for USPSA. 

12 minutes ago, Smithcity said:

Sounds like you know what you are getting yourself into. Shouldn't be a problem if you are ok experimenting until you figure out what runs in your build. Might have to play with different OALs and bullets.

I went down this road and was pissed when I couldn't run HPs in my AR9. All my reloads for production minor were 1.145" JHPs and nothing ran reliable in my AR9 except certain shape round nose at 1.13" OAL. Was hoping to use the same 9mm JHPs for both guns. Didn't work out that way.

Right now I’m running 125 grain round nose blue bullets at a fairly short (1.10-1.12) OAL since the PPQ has a pretty tight/short chamber. I figure they’ll hopefully work in the PCC- if not then I’ll experiment and ideally find a load that works for both. 

I have several barrels that require bullets loaded short (pre-PCC PSA and Spinta) and all run well with the 125 gr Blue Bullets RN loaded at 1.100".

The Taccom ULW barrel has a generous throating that allows most bullet combination to be loaded long.

You should be good for just about any barrel you choose.

Just checked the Taccom website.  You can buy the complete upper with a ramped barrel.  Cheap insurance.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

You’ll also need an optic. The TACCOM handguard will not accept a front iron sight, so you’ll need something like a red dot on an appropriate riser for an AR height firearm.  There are 1 million threads on this site about red dots so you can check those out for opinions on that matter.

Edited by jkrispies
13 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

You’ll also need an optic. The TACCOM handguard will not accept a front iron sight, so you’ll need something like a red dot on an appropriate riser for an AR height firearm.  There are 1 million threads on this site about red dots so you can check those out for opinions on that matter.

I have a few optics that can be moved over, but will worry about it separately since the optic can be used on a different gun depending on what I end up preferring for the PCC. 

6 hours ago, Smithcity said:

OAL/Feeding limitation is specific to the glock mag

if you try to feed a (HP)OAL longer than 1.135 into small frame glock, the same thing will happen. 
- it's one of the (many)reasons open glocks are not popular

Your plan is solid.  When I first started, I bought a complete PSA upper and lower.  I now have three.  Two are mine and one is my daughter's.  Here's what my setups look like now.  All three were once PSA uppers and lowers.

Steel Challenge PCC-PSA lower with Hiperfire 24C trigger, Taccom 3 stage buffer with ahort stroke kit

Aero Precision Slick side upper with Taccom ULW Ramped barrel, Taccom extreme bolt, Taccom Carbon Fiber                                              Handguard and C-more red dot. Weighs just over 5lbs.

Daughter's PCC has a PSA lower with hiperfire 24 3G trigger, Taccom 3 stage buffer with short stroke kit and a Taccom Magwell funnel..  Her upper is a aero slick side upper with taccom ULW barrel with foam hndguard and PSA bolt using a BCM Gunfighter charging handle and C-more red dot.

My USPSA PCC is a complete PSA upper and lower with Taccom hiperfire 24c trigger, Taccom 3 stage buffer with short stroke buffer kit, laser, BM aluminum magwell and c-more red dot. It weighs 8lbs.  I just ordered the Taccom tension barrel and a carbon fiber handguard in an attempt to lighten up the gun.  

The moral of the story is this...Get what you can now.  Try out PCC.  If you like it, you can make changes to your current setup and still have a decent base from which to build from.

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Or if you can assemble things you could build a pretty damn nice one for $1100 with a very good trigger and optic. Thanks, Eric

It sounds like a funny response, but there's a lot of truth to this.  Folks who buy things complete often end up throwing away 3/4 of their parts and replacing them with something else, which is actually more expensive in the long run than just doing your research and buying once and crying once.  Of course, if you're not sure about diving into PCC for the long haul, then going less expensive may be the better choice.  I personally would recommend investing in a high end trigger sooner rather than later.  As far as the optic goes, if you have some extras already then run what you have while you test drive other guys' equipment in the meanwhile.

1 hour ago, jkrispies said:

It sounds like a funny response, but there's a lot of truth to this.  Folks who buy things complete often end up throwing away 3/4 of their parts and replacing them with something else, which is actually more expensive in the long run than just doing your research and buying once and crying once.  Of course, if you're not sure about diving into PCC for the long haul, then going less expensive may be the better choice.  I personally would recommend investing in a high end trigger sooner rather than later.  As far as the optic goes, if you have some extras already then run what you have while you test drive other guys' equipment in the meanwhile.

I’m actually thinking about borrowing a buddy’s PCC for a match just to see if I like it.