Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shock buff or ney

RGC

1 hour ago, ParaGunner said:

When I shot open, I had a 38 SC with a cp buff and a 8lbs recoil spring. Only changed buff  once a year. Recoil impulse was softer with the buff. CP buffs are a lot harder then the rest.

My experience is the same, I ran my open gun for a couple of months without a buff and the difference was noticeable 

without the buff the recoil impulse was noticeably sharper

Wow, that is a very divided group of answers. Having just started shooting open with a 9mm gun with a aluminum buff I am very interested in these answers. I wonder to what does it matter as to the way a gun is built or just personnel preference. Does a gun need to be built a certain way to not need or need a buff. Does a stroked gun only need one? Curious as to why, it seems, some swear by them and some swear at them,,,

Yes, actually now a tad more keen to simply test.  I am going to drop to 7lbs on my 38SC and run a buff vs the 8lb without and see what the recoil does.  I don’t mind the snap of the gun, I am just more concerned with recoil being flatter while not introducing some thing that could just go wrong at the wrong time.

I ran shok buffs in all my competition pistols. Over the years, I had a couple pistols would run 100% with two buffs.

They probably fall into the category of things that don't really matter. But, when I took them out I did notice a sharper recoil impulse. So I ran them.

I use the aluminum buffs in my open guns  with no issues.  To me it's good assurance against frame damage and the aluminum is more of a dead blow hammer effect and much better than plastic buffs.  It doesn't hurt to try one, if you don't like it or have a gun issue then you take it out, simple.

15 hours ago, digi531 said:

I use the aluminum buffs in my open guns  with no issues.  To me it's good assurance against frame damage and the aluminum is more of a dead blow hammer effect and much better than plastic buffs.  It doesn't hurt to try one, if you don't like it or have a gun issue then you take it out, simple.

Same here 

22 minutes ago, Broncman said:

So in effect, does that not destroke the gun?

Two buffs "destrokes" the gun by .200", leaving .100 of stroking.  Depends on how the gun runs with vs. without the buffs.  

I've tried 1, 2, and 3 on my stroked gun, and 3 gives the best dot control and tighter pairs (for me, that is).  YMMV, gotta experiment.