Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limcat Metal Grip

Hammerman

Has anyone held or used the Limcat metal checkered grip?  Just wondering how it compares to the PT grip for aggressiveness.  Also, I'm thinking about getting it for an STI frame if anyone knows how it would fit on that.

I recently held JJ's new Limcat and it was definitely less aggressive than my PT EVO, it felt a bit lighter as well. Overall it felt good in the hand. The checkering added friction without being overly aggressive. 

If you want maximum control though, the added weight and friction from the PT EVO will likely shoot flatter

Edited by Avedis

The Limcat is thinner and lighter than the EVO. The texture is not abrasive on the limcat compared to the EVO or the regular PT classic rough texture .

The EVO is larger in the hand compared to the classic and the classic is larger than the Limcat if that helps .

20180430_125240.jpg

2 minutes ago, Sprig said:

The Limcat is thinner and lighter than the EVO. The texture is not abrasive on the limcat compared to the EVO or the regular PT classic rough texture .

The EVO is larger in the hand compared to the classic and the classic is larger than the Limcat if that helps .

20180430_125240.jpg

I agree with all of that.  One thing that surprised me about the Limcat grip was how thin it felt, side to side.  It almost felt like a mag wouldn't fit inside it.  I really like the aggressiveness of the PT Evo, but I didn't feel like the Limcat grip was lacking grip at all.

On 9/9/2018 at 5:54 AM, Balakay said:

I have a Limcat magwell on a plastic grip.  I have to use TTI basepads.  Dawson SNLs on 140mm mags will not work

This has been my experience as well. You need a low profile baseplate like TTI or SV. 

16 hours ago, Sprig said:

I have both, the Limcat is thinner than the SVI as well, not sure what else you want to compare ?

How do they compare at the level of the mag release? I love the SVI and how "cut in" it is, as well as their proprietary elongated mag release button. How does the Limcat compare?

And as for the front strap, how "rounded" is the Limcat compared to the relatively square SVI?

Thanks!!

I have had plastic Sti, SV signature, etc and the Limcat grip is exceptional. It’s sitting on my Phanterra and it will stay there. It’s narrower towards the back to ensure full palm contact (even with my large hands), has plenty of grippiness without too much, and also 3+ oz lighter than others but still shoots flat as a frozen rope. Johnny got this one right for sure. 

It will go on an Sti grip. Also, the new magwell is money! Yes, you must use a low profile base pad unless all your shoot is 155 or 170 mags. 

Enjoy! 

Edited by Posvar

On 9/13/2018 at 12:39 AM, Unregistered said:

How do they compare at the level of the mag release? I love the SVI and how "cut in" it is, as well as their proprietary elongated mag release button. How does the Limcat compare?

And as for the front strap, how "rounded" is the Limcat compared to the relatively square SVI?

Thanks!!

Sorry for the late reply, was prepping for a out of state match and was away .

The Limcat grip uses a standard mag release , they supply a Dawson with their grips on a build.  Unsure if they send one with the grip alone. I found due to the thinner grip , i would hit the release unintentional with a extended button on it. I ended up swapping it for the Dawson IDPA length release and i took that one down even more to prevent a accidental mag drop, especially weak hand .

The roundness feeling of the front , to me, the Limcat feels more rounded than the SVI signature grip .

Edited by Sprig

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2018 at 3:59 PM, Hammerman said:

Has anyone held or used the Limcat metal checkered grip?  Just wondering how it compares to the PT grip for aggressiveness.  Also, I'm thinking about getting it for an STI frame if anyone knows how it would fit on that.

way way way less aggressive that the PT and much smaller.  

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up the new Limcat steel grip. I've been wanting one ever since I decided the Cheely E2 profile and weight wasn't my cup of tea.

Grip is lighter and less aggressive than the Cheely E2. I would say it's comparable to a DVC grip, or slightly more aggressive than a factory STI grip. 

Overall, installation required a fair amount of fitting. My Brazos magwell needed a minor amount removed from the rear sides in order to slide into the grip fully. 

ZYkhkoD.jpg

BmDH4iS.jpg

I had to profile the top and bottom of my STI magazine release in order to fit and move freely.  Basically just lengthened the flats on both sides.The two other STI mag catches I had were a little closer to fit but would've needed work as well. I also had to blend the forward edges to the curve of the grip. 

ajrOarS.jpg

The grip and frame took a lot more than my Cheely. I had to carefully remove material from the grip or the frame, like a raised edge or burr that didn't interfere with plastic grips, from about 6 different points of contact as the fit got closer and closer. Cerakote on the frame was rubbed raw in some places. 

tuWQBTU.jpg

Like the Cheely, installing the trigger guard sleeve/barrel thing took a little work. Outer diameter and inner diameter were exactly the same. A little bit of #4 needle filing and sandpaper smoothed it all out. Sleeve is snug fit and both recess into the trigger guard like they should.

It's exactly 6oz heavier than my STI plastic grips (give or take a few tenths for reduction). 8.5oz by itself. 

As others have said, it's slim. The rear comes in around 1.18inches and the front is right at 1.2. it's wedge or teardrop shaped, tapers towards the back. It immediately reminded me of a single stack with thin grips from the back. 

The front profile is rounded and wider relative to the rear, and happens to match my "best fit" STI grip profile. I've found this design works great for my hand and grip

My 6 inch guns are 38 and 38.1oz (unloaded and no mag) respectively with polymer grips, so 44oz feels like a great middleweight for me. Weighed this before I finished fitting/installing the trigger guard sleeve but it's close enough.

Live fire testing will occur in an hour or two.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1543704125914.jpg_1543704127191.jpeg

Edited by Aiden