Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I definitely have a comp issue on my matchmaster

Bamaboy

In the pics you will see the gas burn on the lens of my rts2. The guys at STI are sending me a different mount to try but have both said it's crazy that the gasses are coming that far back and to the right. Don't bash me but honestly have y'all seen gas on a shorty come that far back and only to the right side. The front of the mount is a good half inch behind the last popple hole.   What am I missing?rps20180905_143206_710.thumb.jpg.554cea697168d63aceb695f92740fcdb.jpg

rps20180905_143309_185.jpg

rps20180905_143353_384.jpg

Um... every red dot on a open gun will get carbon build up if you shoot it enough... Every barrel set up and every comp type ends up getting some carbon on the lens. Some more (Lots more) than others. No big deal. Just use Windex to clean it off. Hoppes if its really caked on.

Mine has the first popple hole even further away (not a short) and gets stuff on the right side .. 

I used to shoot Blue Bullets and the haze was horrible and real hard to remove.

Switched to Precision Delta and now I could probably go  2 matches. Before it was 2 stages.

I believe some of it was the polymer coating on the Blue Bullets.

35 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Hoppes if its really caked on.

Do NOT use hoppe’s... youll blow the glass out. Hoppe’s weakens the older bonding agent used to secure the glass in the optic. Ask me how I know, used it once... cablam no glass in my sight. 

Just now, 3gunDQ said:

Do NOT use hoppe’s... youll blow the glass out. Hoppe’s weakens the older bonding agent used to secure the glass in the optic. Ask me how I know, used it once... cablam no glass in my sight. 

Well yea... dont pour it on. But ive used this method without issue for the last 3 years or so when It gets really caked on. Never had what you are describing. I also normally never let it get to that point where I need hoppes to break through the crud.

6 hours ago, Bamaboy said:

In the pics you will see the gas burn on the lens of my rts2. The guys at STI are sending me a different mount to try but have both said it's crazy that the gasses are coming that far back and to the right. Don't bash me but honestly have y'all seen gas on a shorty come that far back and only to the right side. The front of the mount is a good half inch behind the last popple hole.   What am I missing

What is you load? Powder bullet etc?

What's your lube? How wet is it before you start shooting? First pic the slide looks wet?

5 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I don't get anything on the lens of my open pistol with this comp setup. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

These work great. I have them on 2 of my guns. I also have a Steel Master and after about 100 rounds of 5.1gr of Auto comp with SNS bullets the glass needs to be cleaned. I think Broncman is right, it has something to do with the coating.

23 hours ago, Bamaboy said:

6.8 grn CFE pistol 124grn BBI and I use Lucas extreme duty lube. No fouling in the comp and a tack driver free standing at 25 yards

I messed around with coated bullets trying to evaluate for suppressor usage. Basically all the ones I tried (didn't try BBI) at minor velocity had coating loss = exposed lead leaving the barrel. I decided it wasn't worth running them thru my suppressors and stick with HP loads. It would be interesting to see if you tried a CMJ or HP bullets of the same weight and kept the powder charge the same and see if the issue persists.

5 minutes ago, corny said:

I second CLR.  I mix it with distilled water, works great.

Content called me today and said the literally had to use hoppes no 9 and an exacto balde to get it clean. They said this is the most extreme way they clean glass.  

On 9/7/2018 at 8:00 PM, Bwilmot said:

Clr works really well getting the crud from a dot lens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This! Also will clean the carbon/smoke build up on the comp & slide. I keep a small bottle in my range bag with some Q-tips and it works great.

gerritm