Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magpul D60 vs Surefire

After reading all of the rave reviews on the D60, I finally bought one. Other than being slow to load, it seemed to work fine in practice. The first time I used it in a match, I had an issue twice where the loading lever popped up and obviously the rounds refused to feed. I finally resorted to putting a rubber band around the magazine body and latch to hold it in place. Has anyone else had this problem? In spite of the many complaints against the Surefire, I have never had any issues with the ones that I have.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 of the surefires and they work great most of the time.  One of the guys I shoot with has a few of the D60's and they all worked great even with Binary trigger doing mag dumps.  He did have one break but magpul took care of him With all of the cases rolling on each other they have to be kept clean.  I got some sand in one and it had some malfunctions until I got it cleaned out. 

I have 2 D60s and haven't had the issue with the loading lever popping up.  I actually really like them for prone shooting because they are a bit shorter than a standard 30 round mag and wide enough to be a fairly stable monopod.  I'm sure if you contact magpul they will get you squared away.

I've used one for the past year with a lightweight BCG and JP light buffer with rifle length gas and never had an issue. 

It's usually my go to mag. 

The only issue I have with it is it's a bit of a chore to load. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't speak to the D60, but I have been running the Surefire for a little over a year now with no issues. It has been my primary mag on damn near every multigun stage I have shot over the last year with good success. I will say that I load it at 55 rounds, not for any specific reason other than I usually never have to worry about getting to round 60 on a stage and it's just a habit from loading aluminum 30s for so long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, CJW3 said:

Would like to hear some peoples feed back on the surefire mag. 

When I was getting into 3 gun about four years ago everyone was in the process of throwing their Surefires in the trash. Haven't seen them since.

My Surefire works great with brass ammo.  I heard it can be finicky with steel. No issues with Hornsby steel match ammo though for me. 

A very wise person suggested a little graphite every 20 rounds eliminates issues. 

I leave it empty between matches. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2019 at 7:45 PM, pjb45 said:

My Surefire works great with brass ammo.  I heard it can be finicky with steel. No issues with Hornsby steel match ammo though for me. 

A very wise person suggested a little graphite every 20 rounds eliminates issues. 

I leave it empty between matches. 

what do you mean a little graphite every 20 rounds? in the mag? that seems like it could cause a huge mess pretty quickly.

15 hours ago, CJW3 said:

what do you mean a little graphite every 20 rounds? in the mag? that seems like it could cause a huge mess pretty quickly.

Yes. In the mag. Just a small puff was all I did.. I am in AZ so for the most part 360 of sunshine. 

I picked it up at an auto store. The kind used for locks. 

I RO at a major 3 gun match every year. When the Surefire came I saw a few shooters using them and almost everyone of them would have been for sale after the match cheap. I heard some very colorful language from a few people. The D60 is an excellent mag except that little lever can get bumped up and cause problems( ask me how I know that). A rubber band around the mag and lever solved the issue.

I have both D60 and Surefire 60. D60 is great but limited in ammo OAL so I only use it for FMJ. My Surefire 60 accommodates longer ammo and so is my go-to for higher-BC projectile loads. As long as I use a LULA to load my Surefire, it has been 100%

I found that my Surefire 60's will run great in my regular ARs, they would give me issues when I tried using them with my racier lightened bolt carrier gun, seems like the faster cycling gun can get ahead of the mag and causes nose dive jambs. 

• 3 weeks later...