Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jammed up a Tanfo

kujo929

I had a failure to eject and the brass remained on extractor and was rammed back into the chamber.

I used a screwdriver from muzzle end and whacked it and it popped the brass right out. I test loaded and in dryfire it cycled fine. Extractor and ejector looked intact so I tried again. Same result. Was able to pop out the brass again in same manner.

Took it home and checked it out thinking ejector must be broken but when compared to my other guns it appeared fine.

Took it out today and fired one round and locked it up extremely tight. Beat on it with hammer /screwdriver and nothing. No movement at all. Stripped the optic, mount and everything and it just seems completely locked.

Any suggestions?

786dfdc431ab71ec83ae57825014a9eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar problem where mine was stuck 1/4" out of battery with a loose piece of brass in there.  After cutting the slide release and then beating on the barrel with 2 hammers I was able to get it apart.  Apparently I had tried to stuff 2 bullets down the barrel at once during a practice session which caused had a bulge in the barrel about halfway down.  Dropped in a new barrel and she's been running like a top ever since.

Perhaps your barrel was slightly bulged/worn and with the last 3 firings finally expanded enough to not allow the slide to cycle?

Edited by V2plus25

He got it loose.  Where the slide is stuck is shouldn't have a barrel issue up that far with the end of the slide starting down the cone comp.  Not sure yet what happened but I'm sure he'll be along with an update after getting it all cleaned up.

Ended up being able to pound out the pin and slide came off fine once out. No noticeable material that could have been binding it up.

Degreased everything and put back together and it functions fine dry. Will try shooting again tomorrow and see.

13 hours ago, kujo929 said:

Ended up being able to pound out the pin and slide came off fine once out. No noticeable material that could have been binding it up.

Degreased everything and put back together and it functions fine dry. Will try shooting again tomorrow and see.

I strongly suspect the gun is not fully cycling. That would explain the fail to eject. It just isn't going that far back.

If correct something is keeping it from freely moving.  you'll need to slowly and carefully inspect and locate it.

Before firing it again...

Closely inspect the frame where the guide rod is held. Also the gap the bottom barrel lug passes thru. As well as the barrel.

You are looking for any raised edges or peened over areas.  failure to use a cone fit guiderod will cause this. A piece of something (trash, rock  brass) in there can cause it too.

I just fought a similar situation with that as the cause.

I would also ensure the slide lock lever is straight.

Tough to diagnose remotely. Good luck

I strongly suspect the gun is not fully cycling. That would explain the fail to eject. It just isn't going that far back.

If correct something is keeping it from freely moving.  you'll need to slowly and carefully inspect and locate it.

Before firing it again...

Closely inspect the frame where the guide rod is held. Also the gap the bottom barrel lug passes thru. As well as the barrel.

You are looking for any raised edges or peened over areas.  failure to use a cone fit guiderod will cause this. A piece of something (trash, rock  brass) in there can cause it too.

I just fought a similar situation with that as the cause.

I would also ensure the slide lock lever is straight.

Tough to diagnose remotely. Good luck

John

You are correct. Don’t have it figured out yet but dropped in the barrel and slide lock from my other gun and it ran just fine. So narrowed down. I’ll inspect both and figure it out.

I Use cone fit guide rods in both guns.

Thanks.

The clearance between frame and barrel is tight.  it probably will be a small discontinuity. 

(Hopefully not a crack in the under lug)

Coat with sharpie black and hand cycle. Rubs should show.

Good luck with it!

The clearance between frame and barrel is tight.  it probably will be a small discontinuity. 

(Hopefully not a crack in the under lug)

Coat with sharpie black and hand cycle. Rubs should show.

Good luck with it!

3cef6b323baff79cae09dd5f6122c4de.jpg

I haven’t been able to find any cracks but do have damage to the barrel lockup area

I tried the barrel from my other gun and think I tore it up also. It ran fine in this gun but wasn’t grouping well so I pulled out the barrel and it has more damage than this one now.

DO NOT RUN until you find out WTF is causing that!

(Yikes!)

Can you show the slide lugs?

Also the frame where the lower lug passes.

I'm guessing (?) There is some mechanical issue keeping it from going into lock. Then firing it causes it to pound out of lock VS being pulled down and out cleanly.  But... i don't know what is causing it!

On 9/4/2018 at 10:54 PM, kujo929 said:

I'm betting those beat up lugs on the barrel were what was locking it. With the pin out, it allowed the barrel to drop more and clear the lugs.

Well, I don't think it could be the frame. Check the breach face of the offending slide. Maybe a burr of metal got stuck to the face and it causing the gun to fire ever so slightly out of battery. Since it did it with 2 barrels, that pretty much rules out the barrels. Check the slide lock pin for straightness. 

Wow those open barrel lugs are beat up!  Does the lower lug of the barrel pass cleanly through the frame where the slide lock lever attaches?  With the standard guide rod and minor pf ammo I actually had a few burrs develop that prevented the lower lug of the barrel from passing freely back and forth through the frame.  Henning's conefit guiderod and some filing/polishing of the offending area has helped prevent that.

But yeah like everyone else is saying, there's got to be a burr in there somewhere preventing total lockup and causing that damage to both of your barrel lugs.  Yikes!

It almost seems like the barrels not going fully into lock up, hows the comp to slide fit? One of the slides looks stroked how much did you take off? I took .25 inch any more and you need buffers to stop slide from locking back and causing lock up issues. What recoil spring and did you cut coils to stop coil bind ? Is this super or 9mm what powder charge?  I’m just trying to think of every angle possible . 

My theory is that the gun has been firing slightly out of battery for awhile. I’ve been using super light recoil springs and not changing them often. Gun just shot so well that way I didn’t pay attention to it.

Load is 8.5 HS6 with a 115 around. 170pf

But I just ran about 1k that I had loaded for a section match which cheono’d 177pf

I just ordered 2 new barrels and picking up some comps from kneelingatlas and will get the parts checked by a smith before I go back at it.

Timing was just bad since I’m shooting a section match this weekend and another in 2 weeks.

I’ll bump the spring up quite abit when I start with the new barrels.

In the mean time I’ll try my 3rd slide with some sub minor Loads with the limited barrel and check frame out.

I run 6 to 8 on my super gun , stroked, I suspected it was not fully locked up in the barrel lugs when firing, these tangopen guns are finicky suckers! I’ve had my share of issues as a few here know, but when they run they are awesome.  I can’t wait for kneeling comps to be available as well. Good luck keep us informed sir

12 hours ago, kujo929 said:

My theory is that the gun has been firing slightly out of battery for awhile. I’ve been using super light recoil springs and not changing them often. Gun just shot so well that way I didn’t pay attention to it.

Load is 8.5 HS6 with a 115 around. 170pf

But I just ran about 1k that I had loaded for a section match which cheono’d 177pf

I just ordered 2 new barrels and picking up some comps from kneelingatlas and will get the parts checked by a smith before I go back at it.

Timing was just bad since I’m shooting a section match this weekend and another in 2 weeks.

I’ll bump the spring up quite abit when I start with the new barrels.

In the mean time I’ll try my 3rd slide with some sub minor Loads with the limited barrel and check frame out.

Your theory is plausible. 

The barrels are done... sad.

The slide lugs might be ok, might not.  hard to see how sharp and square the edges have become. 

Weak springs can fool ya, so you probably are on the right path.

Joe, you have a thought?

@PatriotDefense