Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL550B operating rod

I've been having problems again the past few reloading sessions with the primer slide not quite coming back far enough to pick up primers (far enough, that from my angle, it looks like it came back all the way, but just barely didn't).  After taking the priming system apart and cleaning it, and seeing that I have unimpeded smooth travel of the slide, I finally decided to try bending the op-rod at the lower bend to give the primer slide a bit more of a push.  I think that may have done it, as I was able to load 100 rounds after that without any primer pickup failures.  Is there a recommended geometry for the angles on the op-rod...and what's the best way to bend it if you don't have a bench vise?

On 9/4/2018 at 8:22 PM, njl said:

I've been having problems again the past few reloading sessions with the primer slide not quite coming back far enough to pick up primers (far enough, that from my angle, it looks like it came back all the way, but just barely didn't).  After taking the priming system apart and cleaning it, and seeing that I have unimpeded smooth travel of the slide, I finally decided to try bending the op-rod at the lower bend to give the primer slide a bit more of a push.  I think that may have done it, as I was able to load 100 rounds after that without any primer pickup failures.  Is there a recommended geometry for the angles on the op-rod...and what's the best way to bend it if you don't have a bench vise?

If this happens again, check for an errant primer anywhere along where the primer slide moves. I've experienced a primer getting caught not allowing the slide to fully retract at times. 

7 hours ago, jdk129 said:

If this happens again, check for an errant primer anywhere along where the primer slide moves. I've experienced a primer getting caught not allowing the slide to fully retract at times. 

I've had that happen a few times, but it's not what was happening recently.  If I can gently tug on the primer slide, and get it to move the remaining fraction of an inch necessary to pick up a primer, there's nothing blocking it.

For the past few years, I've been using a primer slide bearing similar to the one above, minus the roller bearing.  A friend of mine that does some metal work made one based on the OEM bearing plate and images I sent him from someone who'd posted the "original" version of that idea here.  I really wish Dillon would come out with an official upgrade for the RL550 priming system that works better/longer/more reliably than the current one.

On 9/6/2018 at 8:31 PM, njl said:

I've had that happen a few times, but it's not what was happening recently.  If I can gently tug on the primer slide, and get it to move the remaining fraction of an inch necessary to pick up a primer, there's nothing blocking it.

I'd recommend examining the bottom of the primer magazine and look for any plastic that may have become deformed. I've had to replace this part in the past. It can prevent the slide from retracting and can also prevent a primer from dropping into the unit.

I use the 650 brass tip for the primer magazine on both my old 1986 550 and my 2001 SD. Have never had a primer problem since then. The plastic tips just deform and cause issues. Dillon does not recommend this, but I've run hundreds of thousands of rounds that way.

I'm pretty sure the magazine tube tip is not the problem.  I think what's happening is galling as the primer arm exerts a torque against the primer slide, and the slide rubs on the primer housing.  It kind of makes me wonder if anyone's ever done alternate materials for the housing base or slide (i.e. brass for either one)?

I guess I may try one of those primer bearing plates with an actual bearing on it to counter the primer arm torque.

When my 550 primer system starts acting up I simply rebuild it. That is, I change out some old parts for new ones.

They are as follows:

#14003 Flexible orifice (large or small primer).

#14051 Primer feed stop pin.

#13979 Primer feed stop spring.

If you've been bending your operating rod (you shouldn't have to bend it at all) you might want a new one. Part #13869.

Put a .45 ACP case over the head of the follower rod. Polish it with metal polish.

UniqueTek has the full length slide plates. They are well worth the money but those with the roller bearings can be problematic over time. You don't really need it.

Depending upon how much use the press gets I typically do this this little tuneup about every two years, or so.

Have fun,

Mike

Edited by MikieM

• 1 month later...

One other issue to look at is the op-rod itself.   The op-rod is a wear item just like the orifices, springs etc.   Call up Dillon and request couple extra op-rods and keep one as a master to compare against your active rod that is on the machine.  I have bent them in the past to make them work, but I find it's just a temporary fix.    

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)  
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry. 
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row. 
  • Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 1.215 - 1.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.
  • Be sure the plastic tips of all your Primer Pickup Tubes and the plastic tip on the bottom of the Priming Magazine are seated fully against the tubes.
  • Grease the short end of the op-rod where it inserts into the bracket clamped around the primer shield.