Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting First in squad....

WaJim

17 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Learn to process faster rather than asking for more time.

It happens so rarely that I have never seen it be a match issue. That said, things happen, if the person just finished his non optional 100 yard hike from a porta potty ,or whatever the deal was, I am not going to rush him and maybe make him blow his chance at a good finish. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The better a person gets at figuring out stages the less this an issue. You cant count on others to help you , but you can work on your own abilities. 

I'd rather not leave my performance to another's actions. Simply that. I'm also a B last name and invariably shoot first. So I've had my fair share of first shooter, first stage at nationals and on down.

I've seen some really poor behavior by people who cant be nice and or cant figure a tough stage out.  (From D class to GMs you've seen on top shot) So again, I'd rather rely on me. Not meant to be mean or against anyone specifically. 

Edited by rowdyb

I've only RO'd locally, but I've never had anyone ask for a solo walk-through.  I admit that I have done them myself when I'm the only RO on the squad and I ran the shooter right before me (thankfully that doesn't happen often). 

I always make sure that the first shooter has the view they want for demonstration of any moving targets.  Depending on where the moving target needs to be shot from, that can actually be an advantage that only the first shooter gets.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 1:46 PM, GunBugBit said:

Allowing the first shooter the chance to have some quality time looking at the stage, similar to the time everyone else will have and maybe a little extra since they won't have the advantage from watching and learning from others' runs, is a good way to deal with it.  It's not going to happen at every match on every stage, but I will take this thought with me to the matches I shoot.  Most times this will be possible.

This is what we try to do at a local match. Everyone gets their 5 mins and then the RO will allow the 1st shooter a chance to run through it alone. You won't get 2 minutes to yourself but one run through with no distractions is nice to get. 

I would never count on the good graces of someone else to make things fair.  You are just setting yourself up for disappointment.  If you are shooting anything higher than a club match, then you should have gotten there early enough to look at the stages beforehand and at least have a rough idea of how your going to shoot it.

Arrive the day before match.  Walk all the stages for however long you'd like.  That's how I solve the first stage first shooter problem.  This won't help much with moving props, but will make memory stages a nonissue.  I typically just shoot very conservative plans if I am the first shooter on a stage full of unfamiliar moving props.  

On 9/11/2018 at 6:06 PM, rowdyb said:

I'd rather not leave my performance to another's actions. Simply that. I'm also a B last name and invariably shoot first. So I've had my fair share of first shooter, first stage at nationals and on down.

My last name also starts with B, so I am used to shooting first...  It sucks to alway shoot first, but that's the way it is.

21 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

My last name also starts with B, so I am used to shooting first...  It sucks to alway shoot first, but that's the way it is.

Same here, but my wife’s name starts with K so she’s usually first followed by Michael.... I’ve seen some names like Aran Anders lol.  And on the other end Xiabo Zheng....  I wish they would mix things up instead of being so lazy with the shooting order alphabetically by last name.

15 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

Same here, but my wife’s name starts with K so she’s usually first followed by Michael.... I’ve seen some names like Aran Anders lol.  And on the other end Xiabo Zheng....  I wish they would mix things up instead of being so lazy with the shooting order alphabetically by last name.

I've started doing it by First name at locals.  Flips me to the other end.  

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

You can sort by Random names at a local match...  The problem is that as long as everyone else isn't the first shooter...  They don't want to change anything...

At a major match, where the tablets don't travel with the squad, it's easier to use last name first because all the tablets are normally sorted that way...  Reverse order or first name sort order would work, but no one wants to change to that because they might have to shoot first.

My plan is to really scout the stage I'll be starting on before the match starts...  Make sure I find all the targets and set my plan...  I've gotten used to it...

3 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

You should never accept that you will always shoot first.  You may shoot first quicker than I, last name "w", but it should rotate through.

And most do a random jumble of names, set the list and rotate from there.

Or even ask if they will start at the bottom of the alphabet and rotate from there.  

It's rare to not rotate, unless someone really likes going first and at times I've volunteered to do just that as waiting around is sometimes worse to me.

As long as the system is set at the beginning and the procedure stays the same for all.

My last name is ZHANG, and I shoot first about 40% of the time.  I don't think last name is the deciding factor.  Most major matches go with random order, or with the shooter number (e.g. the order in which you registered for the match).  Probably just in local matches where they default to last name order.   

Again, arrive a day early and walk all the stages carefully.  That's the key to solve first stage first shooter issue.  Interestingly, my average first shooter stage performance is slightly better than all other stages since I have started tracking it.  

If you try to have a good rapport with your squad, they will be more understanding of somethings. This means really being a team player in resetting and helping prior to this happening. 

I always try to let the first shooter cut in line and get in my way. If they want to skip the line and run through a few times, I totally get it and it doesn't bother me. 

Sometimes if the stage is really crazy and I know Im first up, I will head over there early from the previous stage. I let my squad know though. I don't just skip out. If you helped tape and reset for 45 rotations, anyone that's pissed that you left 1 shooter early will never be satisfied with your work efforts.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

*just shot 1st on four stages at Optics Nats. One of them being first shooter, first stage, first day.

Wow, that's a pain...  I hate shooting first in a big match...  especially when the first stage is really two stages in one bay that you move between hot...

You shot well though...  Nice shooting!

Thank you. But today I suffered the pain and peril of going first, and not heeding my own better wisdom. I didn't listen carefully at the stage brief, and I was first shooter, first stage, first day of the 2nd Nats match today. I didn't do the proper procedure on one of the many, many, stand and shoot stage. 3 misses within the first 20 seconds of my day....... Sad.

I had issues with going first on stages once upon a time. One year at every local match I shot, I talked with the squad and arranged the order so that I went first on every single stage for every match. They were always more than happy since it meant none of them had to go first that day. That pretty much eliminated any mental issues I had with going first. The biggest issues are occasionally with movers or timing things you haven't yet seen. There's not much of a cure to that besides experience and doing your due diligence with gathering as much information about the stage as possible prior to your slotted shooting time.

As always, the key is to focus on the fundamentals. Find target, aim at target, hit target, repeat. Having your plan set and burned in when your squad walks up to the stage is a huge benefit.

Shooting first is no longer an issue for me either. I had to shoot first 4 times at the World Shoot last year including 3 stages in a row.

Have also speed passed a few matches which is like shooting first every stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Jake Di Vita said:

I had issues with going first on stages once upon a time. One year at every local match I shot, I talked with the squad and arranged the order so that I went first on every single stage for every match. They were always more than happy since it meant none of them had to go first that day. That pretty much eliminated any mental issues I had with going first. The biggest issues are occasionally with movers or timing things you haven't yet seen. There's not much of a cure to that besides experience and doing your due diligence with gathering as much information about the stage as possible prior to your slotted shooting time.

As always, the key is to focus on the fundamentals. Find target, aim at target, hit target, repeat. Having your plan set and burned in when your squad walks up to the stage is a huge benefit.

Make your weakness your strength, I did similar years ago and did the same for re-shoots whenever I have been asked at local matches if I wanted one I took it.  It paid dividends at one of the Memphis Charity Revolver Matches where I had it happen twice!  And both times improved on the original run.