Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting First in squad....

WaJim

I don't know if all RO's give the first guy a break but I try to. But one thing that everyone can do to help everyone, is that when you get to the end of your walkthrough of a COF, DO NOT WALK BACK UPSTREAM in front of everybody else trying to do their thing. Step out to the side and walk around. PLEASE!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started shooting USPSA, which was basically only 2 years ago, I was overly concerned about how to run the stage and between each shooter I would walk through the COF. Well, as a newbie it was quickly pointed out to me by the RO to tape and that I needed to show courtesy to the next up and on deck shooters; to which I obliged. This got me thinking how to better manage my stage prep better. After a few more matches and a whole lot of reading, watching and listening to seasoned shooters I follow this game plan for every stage regardless if I am first or last: 

1. 'Dry'  walk the stage (no 'air gunning'). just look and see where all the targets and all the shooting ports are.

2. Count all the targets (it's always a good idea to count them and compare to the stage briefing to make sure you didn't forget any.)

3. Walk through again looking for the best positions to shoot from taking in consideration of movements etc.

4. Plan mag changes if needed

5. Final walk through complete with 'air gunning' and mag changes. 

With that said, obviously you're not always afforded the luxury of 5 walk-throughs but this can be pretty much collapsed into two or three which is fairly reasonable. 

But then again... I'm barely a 'B' shooter .. so maybe I should rethink this! lol ??

Oh yeah, I'm a lefty ... sooooo as mentioned above ... I'm usually swimming upstream too! 

19 minutes ago, schaet said:

When I first started shooting USPSA, which was basically only 2 years ago, I was overly concerned about how to run the stage and between each shooter I would walk through the COF. Well, as a newbie it was quickly pointed out to me by the RO to tape and that I needed to show courtesy to the next up and on deck shooters; to which I obliged. This got me thinking how to better manage my stage prep better. After a few more matches and a whole lot of reading, watching and listening to seasoned shooters I follow this game plan for every stage regardless if I am first or last: 

1. 'Dry'  walk the stage (no 'air gunning'). just look and see where all the targets and all the shooting ports are.

2. Count all the targets (it's always a good idea to count them and compare to the stage briefing to make sure you didn't forget any.)

3. Walk through again looking for the best positions to shoot from taking in consideration of movements etc.

4. Plan mag changes if needed

5. Final walk through complete with 'air gunning' and mag changes. 

With that said, obviously you're not always afforded the luxury of 5 walk-throughs but this can be pretty much collapsed into two or three which is fairly reasonable. 

But then again... I'm barely a 'B' shooter .. so maybe I should rethink this! lol ??

Oh yeah, I'm a lefty ... sooooo as mentioned above ... I'm usually swimming upstream too! 

Ive seen these "plans" in action ???

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'm cool with that too, but I've also shot stages that took a couple people 30 mins just to figure out how to shoot all the targets. And unless you get there the day before or someone tells you exactly what to do you're hosed. One that comes to mind, I was pretty new and had a more experienced shooter not said told me exactly what targets to shoot from each location I never would of got it.  And it still took me more than 5 min. That I don't like.

Makes perfect sense. 

The extremes of anything kind of suck.

Last summer I shot a stage that had a 25 yard dash followed by a 30 yard dash, and most of the r.o.'s & scorekeepers were over 50. The very fleet of foot were happy though, but I think even they got tired of the hike for pasting. 

20 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Another reason to have shooting challenges and not memory challenges. 

I don't think stages need to be so difficult to remember everyone can't get it done in 5 minutes. That's not what makes a stage good IMO. I'm a big fan of getting to the match early to figure things out, but that doesn't always work out.

+1 

Because of my last name, most of the time I am first shooter on the first stage when the squad goes alphabetic. I kind of like the way this works. I show up a hair early and figure out or finalize my first stage plan and then I can coast for the rest of the match as far as stage planning goes. At bigger matches, I'll get hit with being the guinea pig twice. I'm good with that. If I'm doing really well and have a chance at a class win, I'll sneak over to my next 'first up' stage while my squad has one shooter left at its current stage. Gives me a little extra time to figure out and finalize my plan again. If I'm in the running, everyone's good with me trying to finish strong. If I'm not in the running, I stay put and help out the squad.

10 hours ago, selecw said:

Get to the match early and walk through all the stages to develop a mini plan of what you intend to do for each stage. If it's a bigger match, say an Area match, do this the day before you shoot. 

This. Being left handed, I don't get the same amount of walk thru as everyone else. Is what it is. Plus I like to see what there is to see at new places.

10 hours ago, selecw said:

Get to the match early and walk through all the stages to develop a mini plan of what you intend to do for each stage. If it's a bigger match, say an Area match, do this the day before you shoot. 

I too do this, like the day before early. Typically the squads I have shot on agree with having the shooting order in alphabetical order. Since I know I’ll probably be in the first two or three, I go early to the stages where our squad will start. Good if a squad is already shooting so I can see what options some shooters are taking. 

10 hours ago, HI5-O said:

I too do this, like the day before early. Typically the squads I have shot on agree with having the shooting order in alphabetical order. Since I know I’ll probably be in the first two or three, I go early to the stages where our squad will start. Good if a squad is already shooting so I can see what options some shooters are taking. 

That is exactly the way to do it.

In major matches that I have attended, after the squad walk through, the RO/CRO usually gives the first shooter a chance to walk the stage alone.  Same in most of the local matches.  Sometimes, RO/CROs need to be reminded it about the shooter getting a fair chance.

Seriously, how many of you have notice that not just the on deck shooter but others are walking the stage between shooters.  

From a personal standpoint, I like being the first shooter if I have a chance to walk the stage appropriately.  There have been times where I did not take the time to do a good walk through and tanked the stage.  Lesson learned.

25 minutes ago, pjb45 said:

Seriously, how many of you have notice that not just the on deck shooter but others are walking the stage between shooters.  

Yeah, I avoid doing this at all cost....Being on deck I'll look at and refresh my plan from outside the shooting area but 'walking the stage' is for the next shooter.

I've seen it done frequently though. 

1 hour ago, CTJer said:

My first ever match I was the first shooter.

Probably wouldnt have mattered if I shot 10th.  

That's rough. We usually shuffle new shooters down in the order their first match to make sure they get to see someone shoot the COF at each stage.

For the past 4 years I have been shooting first in most of my local matches and national sanctioned matches.  This is mostly because my last name starts with an A or my shooter number is a low number.  I will say it was a little nerve racking at first, but I got used to it and now I like shooting first.  Sometimes I am still a little nerves but once I have finished the stage it is over and I can sit back and watch the other shooters shoot and get great ideas on how to work through a stage better.  Once you get that first one in you can relax a little.

On 9/6/2018 at 6:58 PM, pjb45 said:

In major matches that I have attended, after the squad walk through, the RO/CRO usually gives the first shooter a chance to walk the stage alone.  Same in most of the local matches.  Sometimes, RO/CROs need to be reminded it about the shooter getting a fair chance.

this.  And if they don't, just tell them you are going to do 1 clean walk-thru without 15 shooters in your way(quick walk-thru, not total stage planning).  I have never been told no and the RO has always been cool with it.  

6 hours ago, echotango said:

this.  And if they don't, just tell them you are going to do 1 clean walk-thru without 15 shooters in your way(quick walk-thru, not total stage planning).  I have never been told no and the RO has always been cool with it.  

Never heard of that. Once the time is up and the stage is clear it’s time to move to the start location.

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

Never heard of that. Once the time is up and the stage is clear it’s time to move to the start location.

When I took the r.o. course the instructor said that if the shooter says he is not is not ready, then he is not ready. The remedy he gave as an example was to drop the shooter down in the shooting order, I haven't done that but I have given the shooter the time he needs to find the lost target in his head or permission take another look at something on the course (as prescribed in 8.3.1.1) . 

Does not happen often but has happened & last time was with a shooter of a high skill level. He is left handed, likely coincidental but you wonder if those folks might be at a slight disadvantage in general.