Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel grips!?! Are they really worth it!?

IDAHOAASHOOTER

We have been selling a good number of the Cheely E2 grip in stell and aluminum.  Steel adds the weight and texture, while aluminum adds the texture, it may be a bit heavier.  

I have now put 3 on various 2011's for friends.  So far they have fit right onto every STI frame we have worked with.  The only part that needs fitting is the beavertail around the tangs on the back of the frame.  Technically you could go without fitting this, but I wouldn't.  

They have a great feeling to them, and the weight is pretty nice since it is right where you typically want it.  

13 minutes ago, Shooter212 said:

Does everyone think the steel grips are still the way to go shooting 9mm or does it not matter as much with minor ammo?

For 9mm, it's certainly not needed, but won't hurt anything either unless you have girly arms.  I made "A" class with a 6" SV with a steel grip.  Looking back at videos, it looks pretty flat, but not as flat as the 5.4" guns.  I see bunches of 6" guns that look extremely flippy.  I've gone back to "shorter is better"....at least when it comes to pistols.......

I run an Atlas Titan with the PT Evo grip. I REALLY like that gun. After about 5K rounds, during practice, I needed to tweak the sear spring so I went to my backup STI Edge with plastic grip. I did add the steel magwell and steel MSH to ‘try’ to add weight.

It took me a few practice ‘stages’ to get the feel of the lighter gun again. I noticed the recoil with the same rounds was a tad more ‘top heavy’ as it didn’t have quite the same balance as the steel grip Titan. HOWEVER, I did notice that transitions felt like lightning with the lighter STI! Seriously, That STI just swung like a feather. So there’s an advantage to the plastic.

Either way, I think it is personal preference. Although I will say it is probably best to have both guns set up identical if financially possible.

1 hour ago, rritchie82 said:

I’m also a big fan of the steel grip. I like the positive grip it gives and also the way it balances a front heavy gun. On drawback is the issue of mags jamming in the grip during a reload. 

I too have been victim of the steel grip/mag jam. Those plastic 2011 grips are really forgiving with a plastic magwell. For what it’s worth, I was watching a video of someone with the Steel insert LimCat magwell solving the problem of the steel grip/mag jam. I might have to give it a try but I hear it doesn’t work with the Dawson Basepads if you’re using them.