Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel grips!?! Are they really worth it!?

IDAHOAASHOOTER

weeks ago I purchased an Eddie Garcia 6" in 40s&w. I've put about 1500 rounds through it. Gun is absolutely phenomenal, but im struggling tracking the 6" slide.

I've only shot 5" guns the last few years, from Cz TSB, so polymer canik tp9sfx, to my RIA 40 double stack. All the heavier guns I feel more comfortable shooting fast and I have an easier time tracking the sight. 

Just going out and shooting the RIA I instantly feel at home, tighter double taps, better sight picture, etc. I understand it's gonna take some time to get used to the sight picture and I have no interest in changing guns because I truly love this EMG. 

A local shooter is selling a cheely grip, used but barely. Says he never had to fit the grip to the frame. Which is awesome, hard to wrap my head around a bolt on grip. How can it not require fitting? Luck if the draw?

Regardless, im strongly considering added this grip to my Eddie 6" but I just don't know if it's worth the difference when it comes down to the brass tacks. I don't really care about the the cool factor. Maybe a little.... But I have giant hands (size 13/xxxl gloves) the wider the grip like my RIA the more comfortable it feels. 

Has anyone gone to the steel grip and just found a night and day difference on recoil, tracking sights, and honestly can say it's worth the 600$ ish? In true performance.

Best thing would be someone with one at a match and ask to run and Meg through their gun if possible. I was skeptical, but bought one. Now I have two. Others have gone back to plastic, so obviously no perfect answer. There is quite a difference between the various brands of grips as well.

I wouldn't go chasing the next best recipe just yet. I know a lot of folks love steel grips, they absolutely have merits and a ton of positive attributes to them. 

27 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

6" guns move different than 5"guns, may be just that

This could very much be at play here. A 6 inch gun just moves different, it cycles a little different. 

I would keep the gun as it is for a bit and play around with some new loads specifically for that gun. You might be finding that you don't like how 180s are cycling. With a 6 inch gun you can try 165s if you want to get the slide cycling a little faster etc. 

Also 1500 rounds seems like a solid sample size. However, how many rounds have you shot with 5 inch guns? It may just take some more time behind the wheel so to speak to get the feel for that gun and how it handles.

I could take of leave them. I like the texture don't care for the weight. If I was building two more new guns this year they would have plastic grips. I much prefer lighter bullets in the new guns with Steel grips;

A better question would be at your level will you get more from 600 dollars worth of shooting or from a heavier gun?

Given the fact your hands are so large I’d consider having a plastic grip built up to increase the overall size. I had one done with the carbide stuff and it provided great grip, but I had it made a little too large.  Wasn’t terribly expensive to experiment with. 

I have a carbide coated grip now and it's a great texture. Easy to grip in a hurry, I probably have shot 50-60k through 5 inch guns. So I know that I will get used to this sight radius as time goes along and I get more rounds down range.

I didn't realize how much different the timing was until I shot the 6" gun in a match. I have ran 180's and 200's if I didn't load the mags from the ammo boxes I couldn't tell you 

Which one was softer.Feel identical, group the same at 10yrds. But 180's are a touch cheaper since in shooting lead.

Which was weird because I could always tell with the 5" guns. Time will tell and I will keep shooting and practicing, I think k im gonna hold off on the steel grip and shoot the rest of the season with what I have. 

That's a good idea trying the lighter projectiles in the longer barrel. I will grab a sample pack and see what happens. Thanks for all the insight. 

Honestly, I think it is personal preference.  I’ve tried to like steel grips and have wound up with empty bank accounts and tennis elbow because of them. I keep coming back to the dvc grip as the perfect grip for me. 

I am running a 6" .40 bushing bbl with the slide lightened back down to a 5" weight. While I can shoot 180's in it I prefer/shoot 165's in it.  Cycles fast and you are right back on the sights.  I recently put a full sized PT grips on it.  I have large hands and like to use the BAM magwell so getting the "older" full sized PT grip is great because it fills up my grip and fits any magwell. 

I really like the PT grip on my 6" gun and feel it is worth it. With the plastic grip the 180's were OK to shoot but I tried a 5" 180 load in it with the metal grip and it actually shoots decent now.  Still prefer the 165's but I could shoot the 180's if needed. 

I also put a full sized PT grip with BAM magwell on my Edge also and it is great.  It is a brick but it is super stable when shooting, tracks great and being big in stature I have no problems with moving it around. 

I shot a RIA Pro match 40 for a season, and it was honestly a lot of gun for the money.  Eventually I got a CK Arms with a plastic grip.  It shot great and was definitely more accurate at longer distances, but after about a season of shooting it, I just couldn't shake how much I liked the extra weight from the RIA.  Ended up selling the RIA to fund a metal grip to fit to the CK.  I only got to shoot a few matches before I had to focus on PCC for a bit because the Lucas Oil match was coming up, but I was definitely getting more alphas overall after the change.  Seemed like a lot of doubles that were previously alphas with a close charlie were now more likely to be two alphas.  I'm more of a medium grip-strength shooter when I'm going as fast as I can, and I usually bear down more for harder targets.  If you always do a death-grip, I suspect it may not be as helpful...

Edited by fbzero

• 2 weeks later...

Most people will be able to shoot a steel gripped gun better. They are not for everyone however. Shooters that have the right amount of grip pressure won't notice much of a difference besides the gun being heavier and maybe a little softer shooting. 

Edited by lacivilian