Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can recoil buffer cause FTE?

Foxbat

Hello: Yes they can cause all sorts of problems. Feeding and extraction. I have never used them on my open pistols. Benny Hill told me long ago that they will cause you problems. Sure enough on a 45 single stack I had years ago it slowed the slide down and was causing feeding problems but not all the time. It only did it after about 12-14 shots when it warmed up. I have seen open pistols with over 100,000 rounds that still run great with no buffer ever installed. Thanks, Eric

The softer nylon ones tend to swell and break up often. 

I used to use the CP Buffs as they were the toughest then I switched to Dawson’s Aluma Buff and have been using them for years in my open guns without problems. I usually replace them every year and they still have life in them.

11 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Yes they can cause all sorts of problems. Feeding and extraction. I have never used them on my open pistols. Benny Hill told me long ago that they will cause you problems. Sure enough on a 45 single stack I had years ago it slowed the slide down and was causing feeding problems but not all the time. It only did it after about 12-14 shots when it warmed up. I have seen open pistols with over 100,000 rounds that still run great with no buffer ever installed. Thanks, Eric

I agree. ☝️ 

I've been using Wilson buffs in my Atlas but it usually won't last more than 300-400 rounds. It starts to really slow the slide down and I eventually get a failure to go into battery more than FTEs. 

1 hour ago, touji said:

I've been using Wilson buffs in my Atlas but it usually won't last more than 300-400 rounds. It starts to really slow the slide down and I eventually get a failure to go into battery more than FTEs. 

I have been running them in mine as well. 8600 rounds through it so far.  I replace every 1K with no issues.  One time I left one in there to see how long it would go till failure and it made it about 2500 rounds before it started to slow down the slide.  I would venture you may be running too light a spring if it's messing up after 300 rounds!

16 hours ago, bluedevil008 said:

I have been running them in mine as well. 8600 rounds through it so far.  I replace every 1K with no issues.  One time I left one in there to see how long it would go till failure and it made it about 2500 rounds before it started to slow down the slide.  I would venture you may be running too light a spring if it's messing up after 300 rounds!

It might definitely be a light spring. I'm running the setup the Atlas came with, but I am also shooting 9mm major so I'm probably sure that has a little to do with it as well. I've got friends shooting their limited guns and dont have any issues with the wilsons. I'm gonna be trying EGW's for the end of the season and see how they fare in lifespan in my open gun!

12 hours ago, alsipd said:

I have never used a buffer. Where is it installed? Can someone post a photo of where it sits in the gun please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It is installed between the recoil spring and the guide rod. 

This is what my Wilson Shock Buff looked like after ~250 rounds (relubing during lunch break at Area 8).

DGd6wjp.jpg

56 minutes ago, touji said:

It is installed between the recoil spring and the guide rod

This is what my Wilson Shock Buff looked like after ~250 rounds (relubing during lunch break at Area 8).

DGd6wjp.jpg

Woooow, even after 2600 rounds mine never got that disformed... I'm running 9 major as well. 8# wolff spring  autocomap pushing a 124 at about 172PF.  Weird

2 minutes ago, bluedevil008 said:

Woooow, even after 2600 rounds mine never got that disformed... I'm running 9 major as well. 8# wolff spring  autocomap pushing a 124 at about 172PF.  Weird

Yeah, it's super weird. I think the paperwork said my Atlas came with a 9# (will have to check) and I clocked my Autocomp load at 171.5pf at this match as well. Wonder if I should give Adam a call or send an email.

1 minute ago, touji said:

Yeah, it's super weird. I think the paperwork said my Atlas came with a 9# (will have to check) and I clocked my Autocomp load at 171.5pf at this match as well. Wonder if I should give Adam a call or send an email.

Can't hurt!  I would go on a limb and say a nice healthy gun probably shouldn't do that much damage to a buffer in 250 rounds, whether or not it's tuned to run one or not.  Got a video of you shooting the gun?  Preferably slo-mo?

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Some powders turn plastic into a mushy mess. It will also turn your powder measure black. That maybe what you are seeing there. Take it out and run it. Thanks, Eric

This makes me think that maybe Slip 2000 EWL is breaking down the plastic. Maybe it’s time to make the jump to Lucas Gun Oil

The major factor that determines the life of the buffer is the contact surface of the spring tunnel,  if it is thick and flat the buffer will last longer.

If your gun has a heavy barrel and uses the reverse spring plug, the back of the spring tunnel has to be milled out so the plug can slide in, that will make the contact surface thinner and that will chew up the buffer faster.

Thanks for the guidance. I have seen the buffer but couldn’t determine where it went. I originally thought it went behind the guide rod so it could cause a gun to not go into battery. The photo makes it very clear where it belongs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro