Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What kind of bullets are you feeding your PCC?

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:28 PM, Fowlmouths said:

135grn Blue Bullets with 2.9grn of ClayDot @1.125 oal.  Soft shooting @ 137pf

Out of curiousity, how is the consistency in your rounds recoil wise ? Or better put, do you occasionally weight the powder charge as you go ?

The reason I ask is physics. My experience has been that flaky shotgun powders, ( Clays, Clay dot, Unique) load great in shotgun weights, 17-19gr. In small quantities they get hinky because of the lack of mass.

Clays is pretty decent, I have loaded it in handgun loads for years. I loaded some .40S&W with 700X once for someone and it sucked ass at best ! Never tried Clay Dot for handgun, only trap loads .

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

Out of curiousity, how is the consistency in your rounds recoil wise ? Or better put, do you occasionally weight the powder charge as you go ?

The reason I ask is physics. My experience has been that flaky shotgun powders, ( Clays, Clay dot, Unique) load great in shotgun weights, 17-19gr. In small quantities they get hinky because of the lack of mass.

Clays is pretty decent, I have loaded it in handgun loads for years. I loaded some .40S&W with 700X once for someone and it sucked ass at best ! Never tried Clay Dot for handgun, only trap loads .

Definitely not an easy powder to meter.  I have a Hornady LNL and their powder drop is one of the better designs on the market.  Actually chrono'ed today.  5 shots Avg. Vel was 1010 fps the extreme spread was 42 fps.  

1 hour ago, Fowlmouths said:

Definitely not an easy powder to meter.  I have a Hornady LNL and their powder drop is one of the better designs on the market.  Actually chrono'ed today.  5 shots Avg. Vel was 1010 fps the extreme spread was 42 fps.  

Amen to you for getting a shotgun powder to behave that well in a very small quantity !

The next time I buy some some 147gr bullets, I am going to try your recipe, ver batum !

It sounds like it will work just fine!

Speaking of powder, check out the latest issue of the American Rifleman, I assume everyone here gets it ?

There is a fantastic article about the Hodgden powder company, that traces the entire history of the company.

Pay special attention to the quantity of powder Mr. Hodgdon was able to buy from the government, what he paid for it and how it was shipped !

Can you say F**K hazmat fees ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Precision Delta 115gr FMJ with Vectan Ba 9.5 powder.  Powder Valley was all out of Prima SV at the time I ordered.  With BBI 115's I couldn't get the rifle to feed reliably into the chamber until I shortened the OAL to 1.090.  I'm paranoid about the gun puking at Area 2 with an OAL that short, so I'm sticking with FMJs until then.  Once I burn through my stash of FMJs I'm going back to the BBIs. 

As for the powder, recoil impulse is OK but it leaves this sand like s#!t all over the place like Silhouette does.  Using up the 3lbs I have of the Ba 9.5, then it's on to another powder. 

Interesting findings today.  I went through all of my various bullets and loaded up a bunch of each and shot for groups using my Ruger PCC.  I was shooting from the bench at a bullseye target on 8-1/2 x 11 paper placed at 50 yards. All groups were of 10 shots each.  As long as I was going to the trouble, I shot them over the chronograph while I was at it.  The Ruger is pretty new to me, and I didn't have any velocity data from this barrel.   All were loaded in mixed range brass.  I did not mess with my seating die, so OAL length varies a bit depending on bullet profile, with all between 1.070" and 1.125".  All fed and functioned just fine using a Glock 26 magazine.

Bullets include:

115 Rainier plated RN

115 ACME coated RN

124 ACME coated RN

124 Berrys plated RN

124 Zero JHP

147 Zero JHP

147 Berrys plated RN

147 Xtreme plated RN

147 FMJ (pull downs)

I loaded them with an appropriate charge of Win 231, with the exception of the 147 gr. Berrys and 124 ACME, which I had loaded previously using WSF.  

The worst performing load was with the 147 gr. pulled bullets.  Only 3 of 10 bullets hit the paper.  These were pretty inexpensive, and I bought them to blast through the machine guns.  Probably won't use them for USPSA.

Next worst was the 115 ACME, with 8 of 10 on paper giving an 8" group, plus whatever the two misses would have added up to.

Best groups were from the 124 ACME (2.3"), 115 Rainier (2.8"), and 147 Zero (2.9").  The 124 Zero also performed very well.  Overall group was 4.3", but with one flier.  Removing the flier gave a 9-shot group of 2.3".   The other bullets produced groups between 4.5" and 6.25".

So the gun did not seem to have a strong preference for any given bullet weight.  I suspect it was more a matter of quality of construction.  I was a little surprised that the best and second wrost groups were bullets from the same company (ACME).  It may be those bullets prefer WSF to 231.  

I had stopped buying Xtreme bullets a few years ago when they gave me some silencer baffle strikes.  I understand about not over-crimping plated bullets, and my dies are set the same for those as how I have them for Berrys and Rainier, which have never given me any issues.  The Xtremes performed in the middle of the pack with a 4.75" group. 

I've only got a few hundred Xtremes left, which I'm loading up to get rid of eventually.  Same with polymer coated bullets.  I've had enough issues with both style that I'm going to finish these and be done with them.  It will be jacketed and select brands of plated going forward, based on my past experiences.  Just not worth it to me messing with the others.  

Garrett - Any excessive smoke issues or unburned power with the 231?  I ask because I picked up two 8lb unopened jugs from a sportings good store that was going out of business for a heck of a price ( $150.00 for both ) and have been loading Titegroup for a long time and Plan on working up some loads for my PCC and pistols I shoot in local IDPA matches....Mark

I have been using 231 for a lot of years.  You sometimes get a bit of soot on the end of the slide with low pressured rounds like .45 ACP, but I haven't noticed it so much with 9mm or other higher pressure cartridges.  Or maybe I just haven't looked.  But that's literally just light "soot" that wipes right off.  

As far as smoke, not so much.  Any real smoking I've noticed comes from the bullet.  Lubed lead will obviously smoke a fair amount.  And despite what some will say, I tend to get a fair amount of smoke from poly coated bullets as well.  They may smoke a bit less than plain lead, but it's still noticeably more smoke than you get from jacketed or copper plated bullets.