Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What kind of bullets are you feeding your PCC?

I liked the Extreme 124gr right up until our PCC match this weekend where I had to shoot targets at 75 yards. They grouped fine out of my Taccom ULW barrel at 20 yards, but at 75 yards they shot a 5’, that’s foot with a capital F, group. After the stage I shot from a rest to make sure it wasn’t me. It wasn’t. I then had a buddy shoot them in his ULW and he had roughly the same group size at about 4’. I guess I won’t be shooting these again in this barrel, unless distance is limited to pistol ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: Maybe try them in a different barrel. My MPX and my KAW Valley will both group about 8" offhand at 75 yards. I don't use a bench since I never shoot that way. Thanks, Eric

I only shoot these in my PCC for spinners, so it’s no big loss. I normally shoot a 100gr coated RN @100pf for Steel
Challenge, and my 115gr plated @130pf for USPSA. I just got some RMR 115 FMJ to try since they were actually cheaper than the Extreme plated during their last sale.

1 hour ago, 1911luvr said:

I liked the Extreme 124gr right up until our PCC match this weekend where I had to shoot targets at 75 yards. They grouped fine out of my Taccom ULW barrel at 20 yards, but at 75 yards they shot a 5’, that’s foot with a capital F, group. After the stage I shot from a rest to make sure it wasn’t me. It wasn’t. I then had a buddy shoot them in his ULW and he had roughly the same group size at about 4’. I guess I won’t be shooting these again in this barrel, unless distance is limited to pistol ranges.

I just bought 4000 115gr Xtreme bullets, 3000 left to load. I have never had an issue with them, maybe I got lucky so far ? I am thinking next time around Everglades or something else mentioned by others here.

But......................... to shoot at a target 75yds away with basically a 5" pistol barrel and complain about not holding a 1"group is a bit unfair I would say.

I have never bench rested my M&P, but I bet at 75yds it would be quite the different story than at 20yds .

I would have no problem throwing a Ben Franklin on the table and betting you I could hold a respectable group at 75yds with my gun fitted with a 16" barrel.  The definition of respectable would have to be agreed upon before hand. If time allows Saturday, I will give it a try, then post a pic of my Ben Franklin and issue a formal challenge!?

Edited by SJMPCC022
personal
1 minute ago, 1911luvr said:

I only shoot these in my PCC for spinners, so it’s no big loss. I normally shoot a 100gr coated RN @100pf for Steel
Challenge, and my 115gr plated @130pf for USPSA. I just got some RMR 115 FMJ to try since they were actually cheaper than the Extreme plated during their last sale.

Hello: Sometimes you just have to find what your gun likes. Thanks, Eric

But......................... to shoot at a target 75yds away with basically a 5" pistol barrel and complain about not holding a 1"group is a bit unfair I would say.

Please show me where I complained about it not holding a 1” group? My M&P Pro will absolutely shoot a tighter than 5 feet group at 75 yards, and I know this because I shot it at 100 yards just for fun. Also, my 100gr loads WILL shoot tighter than a 4” group at 75 yards, with a red dot, so to complain about a freaking 5 foot group is completely fair.

3 hours ago, 1911luvr said:

Please show me where I complained about it not holding a 1” group? My M&P Pro will absolutely shoot a tighter than 5 feet group at 75 yards, and I know this because I shot it at 100 yards just for fun. Also, my 100gr loads WILL shoot tighter than a 4” group at 75 yards, with a red dot, so to complain about a freaking 5 foot group is completely fair.

5' group at 75 yards = 80 MOA
crazy

what load specs are you running?
have you checked the bullet diameter consistency?

I've been loading xtreme exclusively in 9mm & .40 this year.
recent shipment of .40, about 10-20% are slightly undersized(0.002-0.003")
caught it, because they were double feeding out of my bullet feeder.

Hello: It seems that your barrel doesn't like those 124's or the load you have with them. I would try a different bullet in that weight range and see what it does. Maybe the barrel twist is not enough to stabilize that bullet. Something to try and play with when you are at the range. Thanks, Eric

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:47 AM, stick said:

I've been shooting Everglades for years.  Always free shipping!

http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/y-9mm-124gr-fmj-bullets.html

I got some of these Everglade 124's. I don't know how often these defects happen since I didn't sort through the box yet, just grabbed a batch to load a few and try them out and found that some of the jackets have been crumpled up in the back. I'll have to sort through some to see how often it happens.

kfUGNVF.jpgD7q0Jca.jpg

Well I got curious so I grabbed a random batch of 500 and sorted through them checking the jackets and found 8 more. Not very scientific but that comes out to 1.6%

If I get time and it quits raining I'll try to shoot some from a bench just to see if it makes much difference. For jacketed bullets they are fairly cheap so probably not a bad deal, may want to sort for a match  and shoot the culls in practice.

36 minutes ago, Gregg K said:

Well I got curious so I grabbed a random batch of 500 and sorted through them checking the jackets and found 8 more. Not very scientific but that comes out to 1.6%

If I get time and it quits raining I'll try to shoot some from a bench just to see if it makes much difference. For jacketed bullets they are fairly cheap so probably not a bad deal, may want to sort for a match  and shoot the culls in practice.

I have loaded thousands from Everglades.  I have never seen that before.  I would call them.

I have been running the Ibejihead 124 gr in my AR9 and MPX with no problems at all. I have been shooting Ibejihead bullets in my revolvers for years and have gotten better accuracy from them than shooting MG bullets. I haven't bench tested my MPX yet for accuracy but I have had very good groups in my revolvers. The Ibejihead 124 feeds flawlessly in my AR9 and MPX.

https://www.ibejiheads.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=36&osCsid=dcf674e849fd016cee405ef22cf6fc14

I have done a lot of comparisons and measuring of a lot of different bullets and brands over the years and found that the only thing that matters is how they shoot out of your gun. Sure the jacketed bullets usually have slightly less weight variance but when I have shot for groups I have found that those slight variances didn't keep them from shooting some great groups. Plus with the Ibejihead I can specify .356, .357 or .358. in the 9mm bullets. In the past when trying to get the most out of some revolvers I asked Alex with Ibejihead if he could make a special size that he didn't have listed and he quickly sent me some of the custom diameter that I had asked for. I have been very happy with the service and the products.

1 hour ago, hiker88 said:

I’m using 135 gr RN Ibejiheads loaded to a OAL of 1.10 on my PSA AR9 upper. Shoots clean and feeds reliably.

I am also loading the 124 Ibejihead bullets I mentioned above to 1.10" OAL as well. Since my AR9 is a PSA as well with the really short throated chamber I went to the CN FB 124 bullet which helps with the PSA short throat chamber. When I got my MPX I just feed it the same ammo to see and since it ran flawlessly in it as well I saw no reason to monkey around with a different load. The power factor is just a few points higher in the PSA with the little bit longer barrel. It runs clean and feeds reliably.

I just went plunking around on the Everglades web site, because I am going to need more bullets ! I will be switching from Xtreme to something else, in a while. I still have 3000 to load and about 500 to shoot, I just got them a week or so ago. My luck so far has been great, but I see some on here would disagree. Not to mention the facebook says they are going out of business, could be BS, Zuckerberg hates guns and gun related stuff.( But, if you ever saw the Phil Robertson clean a catfish  video he thinks the same of Zuckerberg !)

Has anyone ever tried the plated variety ?

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, stick said:

I have loaded thousands from Everglades.  I have never seen that before.  I would call them.

1 hour ago, SJMPCC022 said:

I just went plunking around on the Everglades web site, because I am going to need more bullets ! I will be switching from Xtreme to something else, in a while. I still have 3000 to load and about 500 to shoot, I just got them a week or so ago. My luck so far has been great, but I see some on here would disagree. Not to mention the facebook says they are going out of business, could be BS, Zuckerberg hates guns and gun related stuff.( But, if you ever saw the Phil Robertson clean a catfish  video he thinks the same of Zuckerberg !)

I ordered some of the Everglades plated 147’s to replace my xtreme 147’s, so far they have been great, the load is the same I was using and no issues with the plating.

7 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

I think you'll like the everglades bullets.  Extremely fast shipping. I've sent a few e-mails and they were answered quickly.  My problem lies with fed-ex and not everglades.  Everglades is located in Tampa, FL. I live in Port Saint Lucie, FL it's about a 4 hour drive.  Last time I ordered bullets, Everglades sent them Fed-ex.  The bullets went from Tampa to Memphis TN, back to Florida.  I sent Dave an e-mail asking if I could have the bullets shipped USPS mail instead.  He said no problem!  Just sent him a note on the order.

Loading Rainer 115gr. RN in front of 4.0gr N320 with a 138 PF.  No leading problems and a 1" group at 25 yards off a rest and I can't see things that well due to some crappy floaters in my right eye.  All through a JP GMR13.

Edited by pbc44