Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What kind of bullets are you feeding your PCC?

14 minutes ago, mike4045 said:

I only own one barrel that shoots extreme bullets well. The rest shoot from 4 to 18" groups.

Maybe I am missing something here??????????????????????

I have loaded Xtreme bullets for years, as has one friend of mine. Neither of us has ever had an issue with accuracy when using these bullets.

Even though this is my first year shooting PCC, I do have a pretty good point of reference with these bullets.

Myself and the above mentioned friend each bought 1000  110gr .30M1 bullets from Xtreme a few years back and came up with our own deal and went shooting. Mine were a bit faster, 1900fps or so, and performed flawlessly, as far as accuracy and feeding/not breaking up. The rumor is no more than 1600fps with platred bullets.

If others are having that much trouble with Xtreme bullets, I just don't see it.

Edited by SJMPCC022
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, mmlook said:

at 25 yards?

something must be wrong, even pistols do better than that.

I agree.

I have tried bullets in the past ( JHP bullets, not plated) that had the lead core so far off center the bullet could not fly straight.

This was a one time deal with a bullet I was not familiar with. I was actually installing a fiber optic front sight on a hand gun and the ammo was provided for sighting in purposes.

Needless to say the sighting in with this ammo was not successful !

If this problem with Xtreme bullets was that common and widespread they would be out of business !

Edited by SJMPCC022
add content
1 hour ago, SJMPCC022 said:

If this problem with Xtreme bullets was that common and widespread they would be out of business !

There is actually a thread from several years ago that discussed the problems people were having with Xtreme bullets.

I purchased several thousand 9mm 147 gr Xtreme RN bullets that would not group well in a Glock 17 or a Glock 34.  Others were having similar problems.

Good news is after sitting on a shelf for several years I decided to shoot them up when I got my first PCC.  Turns out that gun loves 'em out to about 40 yards.  Past that and things go downhill.  

Last Black Friday I bought enough to last me through the 2018 and 2019 shooting season.

20 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

I agree.

I have tried bullets in the past ( JHP bullets, not plated) that had the lead core so far off center the bullet could not fly straight.

This was a one time deal with a bullet I was not familiar with. I was actually installing a fiber optic front sight on a hand gun and the ammo was provided for sighting in purposes.

Their .40 plated bullets won’t even group in my limited guns except for the heavy plate version.    I know at least 4 other people who had issues with their bullets as well.

I have no experience with the 9mm, but I won’t even waste my time figuring out if they work.

21 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

I question that statement.

I load Xtreme bullets and can destroy a 1" orange target dot at 25yds.( with a Bushnell dot )

6" at 25yds seems a bit of a stretch, unless you possess the one barrel in the free world that pukes out plated bullets ?

I shot Xtreme exclusively for years and have had several bad batches as well as others in our club who did group buys. Multiple guns and multiple shooters with the same issues. Bellow pics are the same gun, same day, same shooter (me), same ammo components (except bullets). The only thing that changed was Xtreme bullets and Everglades Bullets. Not sure what else to tell you.

file1.jpg

file.jpg

Edited by ak_tech
Pistols and rifles. Change nothing but brands and get good accuracy. The bullets are not well made.

The problem probably isn’t the bullets. If one guns shoots a given bullet well and another gun (different make/model or the same) shots it poorly, it probably isn’t bullet quality. Every gun is different including consecutive s/n guns. Unless a bullet always shoots poorly in every gun. It’s not the bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12 minutes ago, GeneBray said:

The problem probably isn’t the bullets. If one guns shoots a given bullet well and another gun (different make/model or the same) shots it poorly, it probably isn’t bullet quality. Every gun is different including consecutive s/n guns. Unless a bullet always shoots poorly in every gun. It’s not the bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess everyone has a different story to tell ?

They have worked for me for years so I'm in !

If they aren't working for you, buy Montana Gold, it's pretty hard to get a better bullet !

On September 3, 2018 at 11:37 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Initially my gun got 2,000 rounds of coated. Until I cleaned the comp for the first time. Which required a grinding bit in a dremel. Never doing that again.

Had to chisel and then grind all of this out of the comp’s ports. It’s not an “oh, just hit it with a wire brush” kind of cleaning. It’s like chipping epoxy off the steel.

And how did the bore look? 

Everyone claims the poly coated bullets don't lead the bore, but my experience through many barrels has been different. 

I thought maybe it was because I was using a surplus SMG barrel that could have been a bit rough. But it's done this on commercial barrels as well. 

So I took a new, unfired Ruger PC Carbine and cleaned the barrel. Then I borescopes the new barrel. Afterward, I shot 300+ rounds of Berry's plated bullets and re-scoped. Then I cleaned it and shot 245 rounds of coated bullets. Results are shown below. 

Axejlb6.png

Then I scrubbed for around 45 minutes using a bronze brush as well as copper mesh wrapped around a cleaning jag. There are still some chunks that refuse to dislodge. 

MhX6WJP.png

And if anyone is really interested, video of all the borescoping can be seen here:

These were commercial bullets coated with Hi Tec poly coating, sized to .356". They were not over-crimped. Crimp is set to rust take out the bell in the case mouth, as seen below on the pulled bullets. 

MELN8gb.jpg

On 9/3/2018 at 10:34 PM, SJMPCC022 said:

I agree.

FYI     

On 9/3/2018 at 10:43 AM, Silverscooby27 said:

I’m curious, it seems like most are shooting TMJ or FMJ. The open guys seem to be shooting JHP for more accuracy. What are you shooting? How many people are shooting JHP? Are there any disadvantages such as comp getting filthy from the exposed lead, feeding issues, cost? Are the PCCs accurate enough and USPSA targets too close anyway that any increased accuracy with a JHP is a wash anyway? Let’s hear your thoughts!

I've run RN, RNFP and HAP. HAP by far were the most accurate out of my 16" barrel. The RN were plated and the RNFP were jacketed. 

I've run RN, RNFP and HAP. HAP by far were the most accurate out of my 16" barrel. The RN were plated and the RNFP were jacketed. 

HAP noticeably more accurate. Precision Delta also very good. All the 115 to 124/125 gr. Hornady bullets I’ve shot seem very accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, AHI said:

FYI     

I just bought 4000 115gr RN bullets from Xtreme, 1000 in and still all good.

If they do go belly up, I will probably go to Berry's or maybe check out the Everglades ? A few here seem to like them and talk them up.

If cost wasn't an issue, I would load FMJ exclusively ! Problem is, to punch holes in paper up close , it is hard to justify the cost of most FMJ bullets.

If someone has an inside line on FMJ 9mm bullets that compare to plated price wise, I am all ears !

just checked xtreme are $82+ a 1000 .  precision delta is $83 a 1000 if you order 2 and free shipping. so how is xtreme less expensive? 

You get real jacked bullets .Ill pay the dollar.

Edited by AHI
was not finished.
6 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

I just bought 4000 115gr RN bullets from Xtreme, 1000 in and still all good.

If they do go belly up, I will probably go to Berry's or maybe check out the Everglades ? A few here seem to like them and talk them up.

If cost wasn't an issue, I would load FMJ exclusively ! Problem is, to punch holes in paper up close , it is hard to justify the cost of most FMJ bullets.

If someone has an inside line on FMJ 9mm bullets that compare to plated price wise, I am all ears !

I've been shooting Everglades for years.  Always free shipping!

http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/y-9mm-124gr-fmj-bullets.html

9 hours ago, AHI said:

just checked xtreme are $82+ a 1000 .  precision delta is $83 a 1000 if you order 2 and free shipping. so how is xtreme less expensive? 

You get real jacked bullets .Ill pay the dollar.

I’ve run plenty of precision delta 124s through my PCC. They still result in lead buildup in the comp. The entire surface in contact with the powder while it burns is bare lead, so you might actually be worse off than with coated.

I tried and liked everglades because you have to compare their cleanliness-performance to a JHP or CMJ bullet. Suddenly they’re a good deal - especially since they fly straight. Better than my past experience with a different brand in my old 34.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I've been running 147gr RN Copper Plated Xtreme and 3.2gr Titegroup through my JP 16" and also a Warsport 14.5"

I literally just use my same exact load for my Carry Optics gun (G34 MOS) and typical 9mm loads.

When I first built my PCC I was running 3.3gr titegroup and my groups were actually garbage and all over the place to be honest, 3 would touch then a flyer here and there with maybe a 5" spread. Given the JP reputation and how picky I am with my rifle groups you could imagine I wasn't thrilled so I dialed my powder charge back that 0.1gr and my groups were just as you see in the photo below; massive difference!

After zeroing at 25 yards, I can get 10 rounds all touching in a whole about the size of a half dollar while bench resting. And yes, after this group I brought everything right into the bull.IMG_7003.thumb.jpg.f47c5f49e12fec0599e1666b6f70113a.jpg

I shoot 124 grain MG CMJ's in all my 9mm and .38 Super guns.  They are consistent in weight, shoot accurately and feed better than their JHP's in my PCC's and my Dan Wesson Guardian.  The consistent feed is as important to me as the accuracy.  I also like the jacketed bullets because cleaning is not a problem.

I too experimented with Extreme bullets for 500 rounds with several 9mm pistols and one PCC.  They were not nearly as accurate as the MG's in any of the guns.  in two of my pistols and the PCC, small pieces of the jacket came off in the chamber creating problems with the triggers.   YMMV.