Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What kind of bullets are you feeding your PCC?

I’m curious, it seems like most are shooting TMJ or FMJ. The open guys seem to be shooting JHP for more accuracy. What are you shooting? How many people are shooting JHP? Are there any disadvantages such as comp getting filthy from the exposed lead, feeding issues, cost? Are the PCCs accurate enough and USPSA targets too close anyway that any increased accuracy with a JHP is a wash anyway? Let’s hear your thoughts!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using 147gr plated bullets, I used xtremes for the last year and have been trying others like Berry’s and Everglades recently. I always use round nose profiles, I feel that they feed better. I’ve never noticed a decrease in accuracy by not using a jacketed or bullets, my velocity is under 1000fps so the plated bullets have worked well for me.

@ak_tech same here. 25 yd with plated 124 everglades:

Initially my gun got 2,000 rounds of coated. Until I cleaned the comp for the first time. Which required a grinding bit in a dremel. Never doing that again.

Had to chisel and then grind all of this out of the comp’s ports. It’s not an “oh, just hit it with a wire brush” kind of cleaning. It’s like chipping epoxy off the steel.

Hello: I am using plated, coated and metal jacketed bullets. I like the 121-125 grain bullets the best for all around use in my AR9mm. I shot some 115's yesterday in a USPSA match and noticed the difference in recoil, even though both are in the 131-134PF range. Going to try different powder next week and see how that goes. I have been using Tite Group for years and it works great. Accuracy is very good with it and so are the bullets out to 50 yards off hand for me. You could use plated or coated for practice and JHP's for the match if you feel they give you better results. Thanks, Eric

Shot a host of bullets. 147 Zero RN. Blue 115, 124/125, 135, & 147 RN. IWI 95 gr. TCFP, 95 Zero, 115, 124/125 RN & HP X-treme, 147 RN Zero, 124 Precision Delta JHP. Just started load dev for PD 115 JHP. All ran in my PCC. All had acceptable accuracy. Some were tack drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I've noticed is that when I load plated or coated, I get a lot of leading at the comp. On an open gun, this is not the issue. So the hypothesis would be that in 5 inches the plating or coating is still good, but in a 16" barrel, the plating and coating wears off before leaving the comp, hence leading. I don't shoot PCC much, but all loads would be CMJ just because removing lead out of a comp is a PITA.

9 hours ago, ak_tech said:

I did some accuracy testing and my MPX liked the Everglades way more than the Extreme (.25 vs 6" at 25 yards). So for me its not worth the savings. I would run some tests.

I question that statement.

I load Xtreme bullets and can destroy a 1" orange target dot at 25yds.( with a Bushnell dot )

6" at 25yds seems a bit of a stretch, unless you possess the one barrel in the free world that pukes out plated bullets ?

Edited by SJMPCC022
content
1 minute ago, SJMPCC022 said:

I question that statement.

I load Xtreme bullets and can destroy a 1" orange target dot at 25yds.( with a Bushnell dot )

6" at 25yds seems a bit of a stretch, unless you possess the one barrel in the free world that pukes out plated bullets ?

I only own one barrel that shoots extreme bullets well. The rest shoot from 4 to 18" groups.

So all of my info is crammed  into a couple weeks time.  Using N320, there is virtually no difference in FPS/velocity between by GMR-15 and CKARMS IDPA gun.  5" pistol, vs. 14.5" carbine.  I initially tried my pistol round which was a 147 grain BBI at 930 FPS.  No real change for the carbine.  Now shooting a 124 grain Montana Gold FMJ at 1077 FPS.  Feels nice, shoots through the same hole at 15 yards and will hopefully be cleaner.