Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cases sticking on powder funnel - new problem

I switched to DAA powder funnel in 9mm and it resolved my sticking issues. Loading .355 instead of .356 allows less flare and consequently less sticking. Wet tumbling with wash and wax combo helps as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/7/2018 at 9:13 AM, GBertolet said:

I had a similar problem. I called Dillon, and their rep told me that brass builds up on the expander, and that I should use some steel wool or scotchbrite to polish it off. After doing so, it made things a lot better.

Thx! My new 40 brass was sticking and smoothing the expander fixed it. 

First I tried adding some liquid wax to wet tumbling solution. No improvement. 

Then I bought the Lyman case prep machine, which is great at deburring cases. No improvement. Still happy to own the machine though as it will probably keep expander working well longer.

Lastly, I took the expander off and worked it over with Dremmel tool, buffing wheel attachment and some mother’s car compound. That was the ticket!!! Expander is now slick as ice and the hang up is completely gone. 

I recommend using the low setting and putting the expander and demel inside a gallon zip lock bag while you work, as the compound flings off and it’s messy. 

Edited by Paulie

On 2/11/2019 at 7:33 AM, Paulie said:

Thx! My new 40 brass was sticking and smoothing the expander fixed it. 

First I tried adding some liquid wax to wet tumbling solution. No improvement. 

Then I bought the Lyman case prep machine, which is great at deburring cases. No improvement. Still happy to own the machine though as it will probably keep expander working well longer.

Lastly, I took the expander off and worked it over with Dremmel tool, buffing wheel attachment and some mother’s car compound. That was the ticket!!! Expander is now slick as ice and the hang up is completely gone. 

I recommend using the low setting and putting the expander and demel inside a gallon zip lock bag while you work, as the compound flings off and it’s messy. 

Update- sticking again after a few dozen rounds. And it seems to be sticking below the taper...so along the case wall and not at edge. 

Will either take some material off the expander or wait until warmer weather for next run. Could be moisture in this cold. 

I’m really pissed because I bought 4K rounds of this new brass on sale. Now I may end up dumping it in trash!

I had shooters elbow for a long time and I will NOT wreck my elbows over this brass. 

Edited by Paulie

4 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Update- sticking again after a few dozen rounds. And it seems to be sticking below the taper...so along the case wall and not at edge. 

Will either take some material off the expander or wait until warmer weather for next run. Could be moisture in this cold. 

I’m really pissed because I bought 4K rounds of this new brass on sale. Now I may end up dumping it in trash!

I had shooters elbow for a long time and I will NOT wreck my elbows over this brass. 

When I had the problem a long time ago I broke a pencil off and chucked it in a drill then jammed the funnel down on the end of the pencil as straight as possible. Hit the trigger while holding some 800 or 1000 grit wet sandpaper and just let it run a little at a time and checking as I went. You don't want to over do it because if it doesn't expand much the bullets will seat off center.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Update: 

Moved the 650 back inside (long negotiation with wife) and I am smoking through processed 9mm (cleaned, roller sized, de-primed) like a 1050 (almost).  

I was using processed bras (along with my standard range pick up, my brass, mostly same head stamp from the majors) before in the garage and had the same sticking problem on both a 650 and 550.  Didn't change anything, other than to moving the 650 press inside. 

So, my conclusion is temperature and humidity (I know someone said I contradicted myself, where I live mean humidity is like 40%.).  As I originally posted have loaded tons inside, moved to a garage, started to have major problems, them moved back inside and problems stopped.  Early days still, but with at lest 50k ahead of me for the season will report back as to how things are running.  

• 1 year later...