Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 light strikes

OdinIII

5 hours ago, Southpaw said:

Just use a 4.5lb. striker spring and you won't have any problems with Winchester primers. 

I have one, the guy who built my trigger sent it with both the 4 and the 4.5. How much different will it make with the trigger pull? I can’t imagine much being just 1/2 pound heavier. He said the same thing though, if you go up to the 4.5 i could use wins. Next time there’s a shortage I’ll give it a shot. But I think I have enough federal for 8 months or so. 

6 minutes ago, Jfitz427 said:

I have one, the guy who built my trigger sent it with both the 4 and the 4.5. How much different will it make with the trigger pull? I can’t imagine much being just 1/2 pound heavier. He said the same thing though, if you go up to the 4.5 i could use wins. Next time there’s a shortage I’ll give it a shot. But I think I have enough federal for 8 months or so. 

If I remember correctly last time I compared them on a trigger pull gauge it was a bit under half a pound difference from those striker springs.  I use the 4.5# with factory striker and have no problems with Win primers, no need for extended striker.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2018 at 1:32 PM, Jfitz427 said:

Honestly I’ve never had very good luck with lWinchester primers. 3/10 light strikes with my 4lb striker spring. So I buy federal exclusively for my comp gun. Just bought another 10k yesterday. My smith said get a extended jager striker and they will light off even the hardest primers. Problem is o can’t fjnd any extended ones, just the lightened ones, and he said those are no good. Not heavy enough to carry enough momentum to light harder primers,

id really like to find one though so I don’t have to always buy fed primers. Theyrd really hard to get. Win are plentiful. 

The lightened strikers are indeed extended and confirmed during a recent phone conversation with the nice folks at Jager. It’s simply not called out in the description is all...

5 hours ago, Shorty4087 said:

The lightened strikers are indeed extended and confirmed during a recent phone conversation with the nice folks at Jager. It’s simply not called out in the description is all...

Thanks for the info. I’m gonna pick one up asap. Just to see the pull weight with the 4.5lb striker spring I changed it out today. Definitely not sub 3lbs. Mine was coming in over 3.5. The reset is definitely better though, like Johnny said it would. I’ll have to try it out with some non federal primers and see if I get good reliability. 

On 9/17/2018 at 10:12 AM, JBP55 said:

Average about 5oz. difference between the 4# and 4.5# FPS.

I’m my case it looks to be closer to a pound. But it’s possible my firing pin channel sleeve is out of spec and worn. Johnny Glock said that could add up to a pound itself to the trigger pull. I got a new one coming, then I’ll re test. Although I really like the reset with the 4.5lb spring. It’s much much faster. 

10 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

Thanks for the info. I’m gonna pick one up asap. Just to see the pull weight with the 4.5lb striker spring I changed it out today. Definitely not sub 3lbs. Mine was coming in over 3.5. The reset is definitely better though, like Johnny said it would. I’ll have to try it out with some non federal primers and see if I get good reliability. 

I have about 10k CCI primers to test the Jager striker out for myself as I’m currently experiencing 2-4 light primer strikes per match currently with the factory striker. I’ll share my results within this post.

I bought one of the jager strikers the other day. Should be here this week. It would be nice to be able to use primers other then federal. I hate having to buy 15-20k every time they come back in stock. Then they’re gone the next day. And hazmat fees suck.  My local place always has cases of Winchester in stock. 

Om another note Johnny Glock, this guy who build my trigger was telling me how important the striker is in a good trigger pull. The lug bring smooth and all. So I might send it out to him when I get it. He stones it, sands, polishes it and then heat treats it. I did that myself with my factory  one and it looks pretty damn smooth. Minor finish. But just the polishing part. It might have slightly smoothed it out, but idk. 

I run a 4.5 and I think they are way more likely to go bad but are also muchore sensitive to oils or other stuff in the channel.  Had a few light strikes yesterday only different was temp in the low 40 from the summer. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 7:57 AM, Shorty4087 said:

I have about 10k CCI primers to test the Jager striker out for myself as I’m currently experiencing 2-4 light primer strikes per match currently with the factory striker. I’ll share my results within this post.

Just an update for this thread that I promised...two matches with ~300 rounds with zero light primer strikes!!!

I had the same problem and just went back to the stock striker spring. You would probably be safe with a 5lb but for me the extra weight is worth knowing every round will go off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have 20,000 on a 4.5 pound striker spring and never have a problem with light strikes and I reload all cci primers. Clean the striker channel out ever now and agent and that's about it. You could also put a lone wolf striker liner and some ghost spring cups in and polish the striker and spring to help. I've never shanked my striker spring after i put the 4.5 in. If you do reload make sure your primers are seated as deal as possible.

5 hours ago, Tnbb33 said:

Run a 5lb spring and you won’t have any issues, with 4.5 lb you will likely need to change the spring every few thousand rounds. 

If you clean the everything and change the 4.5# FPS every 5,000 rounds you should be GTG using Federal ammunition or primers.

My Wolff 4.5# striker springs across multiple guns had light strikes with CCI, Remington, and Winchester primers. CCIs in my reloads, Rem and Win in factory ammo. The only thing my 4.5# springs will set off reliably are Feds. 

Edited by Helios

I started getting lite strikes when I switched to a reduced power striker spring and solved it by going to a lightened and extended striker. You can mess with primers and keeping the thing immaculate to make it run but if you really want the reliability back then your best bet is the striker. Or go back to the factory spring.

Edited by Jakobi