Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated or FMJ for my new 9mm loads?

LowBoost

I have been loading Bayou Bullets 124 TCG for my CZs and I have been very happy with the results. Bayou no longer makes the 124 TCG, but 120 instead.

I recently bought a 2011 and an MPX. I tried shooting my CZ loads in both and they are too short for the 2011 to feed reliably and the MPX tapper gets clogged super quick with them.

Case in question is I would like to switch to a round nose bullet profile and start a new ladder/load for the CZ, STI and the MPX.

Candidates I had in mind are Precision Delta 124 FMJ and Extreme Bullets 124 Copper Plated (Heavy Plate Concave Base)

Just in case you ask: Propellant - Titegroup, Primer - CCI

Are there ANY benefits or cons between these? Difference in accuracy or other issues (like leading)?

I am aware of the cast, hardness and loading data /crimp differences, I just need more info on them to make the proper choice.

I am trying to use the same bullet if possible, and avoid several brands/profiles if at all possible. I know that shooting and testing will determine that after all.

Edited by LowBoost

To be honest, since Xtreme is reorganizing / bankrupt and I know friends who had bad luck with them...

... I'd recommend the Everglades plated 124s I have been running in my PCC. Plating is thick - nearly as thick as a jacket and much moreso than anything except for the Berry's thick plated bullets. I am happy with what I saw with my 500rd sample pack, and plan to buy more of them.

Just ordered a sample pack of the Everglades and Precision Delta JHP both in 124 to try them out.

I'll load a pretty large ladder and go spend a few hours at the range with the chrono testing these out.

I also have some samples of Bayou 120 TCG and Bayou 124 RN I will test just for the sake of having the load data in my records.

MemphisMechanic - That's a nice group. What distance you shot that from? Which propellant? My MPX is the K model (4.5" barrel) as I got a nice deal on it. I will add my can and order the 8" handguard and develop a round for it. As I read, I should be able to use it for local IDPA matches. :) 

On 9/2/2018 at 8:43 PM, CTJer said:

I just tried a sample pack of the Everglades 147g FMJ and I liked what I got. 

Going to try their 124’s now.  

On 9/2/2018 at 8:51 PM, LowBoost said:

Just ordered a sample pack of the Everglades and Precision Delta JHP both in 124 to try them out.

I'll load a pretty large ladder and go spend a few hours at the range with the chrono testing these out.

I also have some samples of Bayou 120 TCG and Bayou 124 RN I will test just for the sake of having the load data in my records.

MemphisMechanic - That's a nice group. What distance you shot that from? Which propellant? My MPX is the K model (4.5" barrel) as I got a nice deal on it. I will add my can and order the 8" handguard and develop a round for it. As I read, I should be able to use it for local IDPA matches. :) 

I've been using Everglades for a couple of years now.  I really like their products and super fast, free shipping.  I was using their 147gr RN for a while, but I switched to their 124gr recess base round nose.  I recommend them and their products.

On 9/2/2018 at 6:11 PM, LowBoost said:

Case in question is I would like to switch to a round nose bullet profile and start a new ladder/load for the CZ, STI and the MPX.

One of the advantages of reloading is tailoring your cartridges to the pistol.  If you set out to load cartridge for all pistols, you end up with a cartridge that is best for none.

Moreover, CZs typically require shorter OALs than standard 9mm, and 2011s can employ longer cartridges than standard 9mm.  You're trying to come up with a compromise between opposite ends of the spectrum, exacerbating the issue mentioned above.

On 9/2/2018 at 6:11 PM, LowBoost said:

Are there ANY benefits or cons between these? Difference in accuracy or other issues (like leading)?

Plated don't have leading issues.  Coated don't have leading issues if sized properly for your barrel.  FMJ, even with the exposed base, don't have leading issues.  None of these should create leading issues if chosen and used properly.  

Generally speaking, jacketed is more accurate than plated, which is not the same as saying plated can't be accurate, it's just not as easy a path.  And generally speaking, jacketed bullets where the jacket is swaged toward the base (JHP) are more accurate than those where the jacket is swaged into the nose (FMJ-RN and FMJ-FP).  How much more or less accurate is heavily dependent on distance.  There are reloading considerations that matter at 600 yards that don't matter much at 50, and reloading considerations that matter at 50 yards, that don't matter much at 25.  If you're having accuracy issues at 25, your bullet is fit poorly to your barrel, or you're over-crimping, or your pistol sucks, or you've tuned for recoil over what shoots most accurately in your pistol, or you're using plated.  ;)

Precision Delta offers JHP at 8.9 cents per bullet, including shipping, if you buy 2000 or more at a time.  It's incredibly difficult to beat  that if your are looking for a combination of price, performance, and ease of loading.  Same goes for RMR's in-house JHP -- RIGHT there in price and performance.  Zero's 124gr JHP are equally as good, maybe even better, though a penny more per bullet.  And if you're not on the "Heavy bullets feel so soft!" lingerie tour, Zero 121gr JHP are the proverbial bee's knees.

If you're looking for inexpensive and easy, those are your best options. 

Edited by IDescribe

IDescribe: I didn't say I wanted to have a single cartridge/load for all pistols. I said I want to use the same bullet/profile to load cartridges for each of my pistols. :)

I can get away with the same load for my CZs, but they are crap on my other pistols.

Thanks for the details on comparisons, I appreciate it. So, the recommendation is JHP over FMJ-RN, good to know. I am not in the heavy bullets feel so soft club... For some reason, it does not feel like that to me. I am not looking for inexpensive, I am looking for what works, reliability, accuracy, and repeatability. I have some PD 124 RN and Zero 38 Super 124s JHP. I ordered the sample packs of round nose, that I will test as well, but I can load the remaining for the MPX that will eat anything I feed it! LOL

Edited by LowBoost

Depends on the gun. If you have an MPX and hate cleaning the gas port, or a PCC of any sort which has a compensator installed? Don’t run FMJ.

The exposed lead base gunked the comp up on my gun pretty quickly. A JHP or plated bullet doesn’t have an exposed lead base like an FMJ.

It shoots ten times cleaner with Everglades plated than with FMJs or coated bullets.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Whoa!!! that's absolutely great to hear. Perhaps I misinterpreted what I read in some other threads about the FMJs.

That's good to know. I think I will end with Bayou coated RN or TheBlueBullets TC for my pistols and I have plenty of JHP from Precision Delta and Zero that I will then load for the MPX!

Really appreciate!

I shoot lots of bullets through guns with comps.  I absolutely WILL NOT shoot lead, poly coated or jacketed bullets in them, for the reasons mentioned above.  Since you are not trying to save a buck, Rainier plated bullets are the most accurate plated I've found.   I use them a lot, because one of the clubs I routinely shoot at will not allow jacketed for steel.

I'm in the light bullet camp, for both comp'd and non-comp'd guns.  Hornady HAP bullets are great.  So are Montana Gold.  I like 115s for Steel loads (about 155PF in a comp'd gun) and also for Open major (172FP).    In uncomp'd guns I prefer a 125 for no other reason that it knocks down sttel better than a 155, and it's also better for pin matches.  I've read very good things about PD bullets, and will eventually try them.  Right now I still have 3000 115 HAPs to use up.