Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Groups in practice.....ideas?

wrx04

I’m gonna head to the static range tomorrow since I missed USPSA range time today due to weather.  What can I practice at the static range (no draw/movement allowed)?

Im thinking groups at 25yds is the most beneficial.  That said, how should I practice?  Uspsa target?  Should I make dots with a sharpie or just shoot at the blank target?  How fast do I shoot?  Just take my time and shoot the best groups possible, or at least shoot 1s/shot?

Edited by wrx04

How much will you shoot? I don't like to spend 100 rounds on one single thing.

I'd do a variety of things, unless there's some specific thing that needs exercising. USPSA target with aiming dot, plain USPSA target, strong hand, weak hand, "head" shots as far as you feel like, etc.

My local range has USPSA metric targets in thin paper for use on their hangers. So it's cool I can use those for practice. I can also do double taps

One thing I do is start at 5 yards. From low ready I raise a do 2 shot strings. 4 strings per mag. I do one mag 2-hand, then 1 mag strong hand unsupported, then 1 mag weak hand unsupported.

I repeat this at 7, 10 and 15 yards (max at my range).

If I still feel like it I will set a target at 10 yards and do double tap head shots from low ready. 2 mags or so.

I try to always do some strong hand unsupported and weak hand work every trip.

It really doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you pay attention and make corrections that are improvements and become your new technique without thinking about it.

Are you shooting or are you improving? Big difference.

Edited by rowdyb

If and when I am forced to practice at a traditional lanes style range I will often so the following. 

Hang a target and shoot 4 round groups in the middle of the A zone at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 yards.  Really focusing on mechanics.  I will build the grip, apply proper grip pressure then present the pistol  to the target.  Then think through the process of grip, sights alignment, sight picture, trigger PRESSSSSSS.  I try to focus on having my conscience mind only thinking about the trigger press.  After shooting each distance 2 times I move to the next drill

On the same ipsc target, at 10 yard 

fire 4 rounds in the top left a zone corner, transition, 4 rounds bottom  right corner, 4 round top right corner, then 4 rounds bottom left corner.  Do this 2 times to create an aming point.  now

I number the box (mentally)  top left 1, top right 2, bottom left 3 bottom right 4

Now work accurate transition drills shooting 4 strings in the following order

string 1-1,2,,3,4

String 2-2.3.4.1

String 3-3,4,1,2

string 4-4,1,2,3

Repeat 2 times through shooting one round each, then 2 times through shooting 2 rounds each.  Focusing on mechanics!  hope this helps

Keith Tyler

Tyler Firearms Instruction 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd definitely hit some draws (some from different start positions) and table starts.  

As far as shooting goes, for just lanes I use 2 uspsa targets.  I usually use an open and tuxedo target.  I'd just draw and shoot them a bunch and do some strong and weak hand shooting.  Focus on tracking your dot or sights and getting more comfortable behind the gun.  Push your eye speed and have a good time

I would do some doubles drills like Stoeger does. No need for a draw on those and they are something that will improve the more you work on them. I would also focus on strong and weak hand as well since that may not be something you would normally do at a range you can move and draw. I would use tuxedo targets as stated above. 

Dot drills are always good for shooting groups. If I don't have a page of dots, a paster works just as well.

On 10/7/2018 at 4:41 PM, boudreux said:

I would do some doubles drills like Stoeger does. No need for a draw on those and they are something that will improve the more you work on them. I would also focus on strong and weak hand as well since that may not be something you would normally do at a range you can move and draw. I would use tuxedo targets as stated above. 

What is this doubles drill?  

Use the time to practice calling your shots. Take a shot and past where you think you hit on another target then compare to where you actually hit on the target down range. I know it sounds silly but everyone does that dance on the last shot before exiting a position because they don't have the confidence in where the round scored (or they wait to hear the round impact steel.

6) dot drills 5.0 par

3) 7 yard bill drill 2.30 par

3) 15 yard bill drill 3.30 par

3) 25 yard bill drill 4.30 

6) dot drills 5.0 par to get you back on sights

These are minimums in my opinion.  You can add more if time and round count permits

On 9/20/2018 at 3:03 PM, rowdyb said:

It really doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you pay attention and make corrections that are improvements and become your new technique without thinking about it.

Are you shooting or are you improving? Big difference.

This. ^

Doesn't really matter what drills you shoot, pay attention and learn something to make the session productive.  

• 3 weeks later...
Dot drills are always good for shooting groups. If I don't have a page of dots, a paster works just as well.

What is this doubles drill?  

Doubles Drill is shooting pairs of shots at various distances in strings. Set a target at 7 yards and practice shooting 2 at a time as you would on a standard target during a match. At 7 seven yards the timer should read .2 splits with probably about 1 second between to get reset. 15 yards should be around .25-.30 and 25 yards +- .35. Make yourself shoot at this pace and hopefully you will intuitively figure out how to improve you pairs. At 7 it should be all alpha and they should be in a smaller group like a bill drill. An occasional Charlie at 15 is ok and you probably want at least 75% alpha at 25 yards. You can burn up a lot of ammo fast doing this drill but it has helped me tremendously. It shows you what you can get away with at various distances. I have cut my split time in half at 25 and 15. It might not sound like a lot but .2 here and .3 there adds up over a match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk