Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory .40 for Major

Rosswoodford

Have not gotten into reloading just yet, just picked up a new (to me) .40 single stack with the Iowa Sectional a week away and no ammunition just yet.  I'll be stuck with factory ammunition until I get a reloading rig set up this winter.  Can anyone point me in the direction of some factory ammo that doesn't have any problem making major? (I only ask because I've read that Remington UMC sometimes goes sub-major with .40 and sub-minor with 9mm)

Thanks in advance.
Ross

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:13 PM, phoenixsomd said:

Atlanta Arms and Freedom Munitions are two well used sources that chrono at Major PFs. Turn around is normally a week or more do check with them before you order.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Freedom 180gn is all I use currently. At a level 2 match last weekend I chronod 179 PF out of a 5" barrel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

American Eagle 165's was alot milder recoiling than most factory 180's or other brand 165's , Chrono'd 1020 out of my 5" Para Ordnance with the fairly worn factory barrel. That should be about 169pf

• 4 weeks later...

When I first started w/ my 5" Para I was in the same boat and bought a bunch of Blazer Brass (plated) 180's ... they were only 1.125 long (OAL) but worked OK.

For me they chronoed at 997 ... making  179pf.