Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI slide

assaulter

More quality from “the new” STI. 

Do they even even look at stuff or does it come off a machine and land in a box with a shipping label? No way they want stuff like that leaving their shop... at least I think they wouldn’t. 

Not surprising considering the source.  Even if it's going to be cut down, I'd still be very concerned about the accuracy and quality of the internal machining, which is far more critical.  Personally, I stopped using STI parts a long time ago.  There are far better alternatives and any cost savings is far outweighed by the time, trouble and extra work it takes to try to correct poorly made parts.  Or replace them when they fail.

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Not surprising considering the source.  Even if it's going to be cut down, I'd still be very concerned about the accuracy and quality of the internal machining, which is far more critical.  Personally, I stopped using STI parts a long time ago.  There are far better alternatives and any cost savings is far outweighed by the time, trouble and extra work it takes to try to correct poorly made parts.  Or replace them when they fail.

maybe this is STI new secret finish pattern ,because u can't find it on any other guns.?

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I wonder if they just assume these will be worked over during the build.

That is what I was thinking. Before publicly ragging on any vendor they should get a chance to comment. Could be that the typical customer does not want to pay for more finish work that will be wasted anyway. 

46 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

That is what I was thinking. Before publicly ragging on any vendor they should get a chance to comment. Could be that the typical customer does not want to pay for more finish work that will be wasted anyway. 

I'm not ragging on anyone.  I'm merely posing a question as to whether this is the standard that STI cuts their slides to, in the experience of the gun builders on enos.  If it's a fluke that's good to know.  If this is just how it is,that's good to know also.  How would you remove those raised lines if it was your build? 

1 hour ago, assaulter said:

I'm not ragging on anyone.  I'm merely posing a question as to whether this is the standard that STI cuts their slides to, in the experience of the gun builders on enos. 

That is the way I read it also, fair question, was responding to some of the negative commentary which may or may not be warranted. 

Else, I do not pretend to know how to build a gun. 

2 hours ago, assaulter said:

I'm not ragging on anyone.  I'm merely posing a question as to whether this is the standard that STI cuts their slides to, in the experience of the gun builders on enos.  If it's a fluke that's good to know.  If this is just how it is,that's good to know also.  How would you remove those raised lines if it was your build? 

A smooth mill file to draw file the raised parts, the 1" abrasive cloth in probably 220 grit to "shoe shine the rest smooth.

I try to stay away from the STI stuff; not so much that the quality was poor, but that their frames needed extra work that CK stuff didn't (easing edges etc.), but nothing Aesthetically like that slide. As for slides I have had good luck with the Caspian slides as well.

I'm wondering if that slide was to be sold as a 'blemished' item or if it slipped by QC?