Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chip in slide locking lug, should I be concerned?

SV650Squid

I was cleaning my 2011 today and noticed this chip in the rearmost locking lug in the slide.

The gun has 5-6k rounds through it.  My load is 172 pf (4.9 gr N320 180gr coated lead is typical).

Pic below, there's more here: https://imgur.com/a/Hmg8RJL

2127059792_20180901_095414(2).thumb.jpg.89f6f2d0bb78ef74cf3c79843f093da9.jpg

Should I be concerned about my barrel fitment, and should I send it back to the builder?

On 9/1/2018 at 4:07 PM, Dranoel said:

The barrel hood and lugs should have some light scratches. That looks like a dog chewed it.

I agree. doesn't look good at all. As said I would get in touch with the manufacturer or builder. Not only to ask about the chip but the barrel as well.

I don't know that I'd jump to the issue being insufficient clearance.  Some marks on the barrel chamber area and lugs are common.  A gun doesn't run 5-6K rounds and all of a sudden have clearance issues.  My guess is something got in the action and created that burr.  I'd get rid of the burr before shooting it anymore, but wouldn't be too worried once it was gone.  Shoot it some more and keep an eye on it.

I also see very little evidence of second lug engagement. Maybe a smidge at 10oclock. With that many rounds at that power factor, you should see evidence of second lug engagement. 

Also does look like most of first lug engagement is concentrated In the 10-11 range. Fit does not look square.

First lug is doing all the work. That can lead to shearing off the edge of the first lug . Google Schueman barrel timing article.

Edited by Broncman