Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats the new hotness for the 9mm AR Bolt Carrier?

1 hour ago, jkrispies said:

When I’ve taken my bolt apart they look like standard AR cotter keys to me, but I’ve never actually compared them side-by-side.

It looks like there may be different versions of the Extreme bolt. Mine has a split pin (roll pin) with a head on it.  Something I've not seen before.  The diameter of the head is roughly 3/16" in diameter and is recessed into the bolt on the side opposite of the extractor.

Edited by Flatland Shooter
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

It looks like there may be different versions of the Extreme bolt. Mine has a split pin (roll pin) with a head on it.  Something I've not seen before.  The diameter of the head is roughly 3/16" in diameter and is recessed into the bolt on the side opposite of the extractor.

That's the same as mine.  I probably used the wrong term when I said cotter key.  I think it's the same as an AR?

On 9/5/2018 at 10:28 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

Looks like the Taccom Extreme bolt uses a proprietary pin to hold in the firing pin

Probably never needs to be replaced unless lost but are they available?

That would have been our first 50 bolts.......I used a roll pin instead of an AR15 cotter pin. Caught hell for it, went to the cotter pin unless the roll pin is requested......like for FI and leadstar uppers.

33 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

That would have been our first 50 bolts.......I used a roll pin instead of an AR15 cotter pin. Caught hell for it, went to the cotter pin unless the roll pin is requested......like for FI and leadstar uppers.

The best part about this response is that Tim says I named it correctly when I said it was cotter key!  LOL  But Flatland Shooter re-reading your response, it sounds like we might have two different pins.  Mine is a standard split pin like in an AR.

On 9/5/2018 at 10:28 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

Looks like the Taccom Extreme bolt uses a proprietary pin to hold in the firing pin

Probably never needs to be replaced unless lost but are they available?

If he has a solid pin with a head.......thats not anything we did......ever. Only 2 ways they ever came out of our shop......roll pin or std AR cotter pin

Tim

51 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

If he has a solid pin with a head.......thats not anything we did......ever. Only 2 ways they ever came out of our shop......roll pin or std AR cotter pin

Tim

I've not taken it apart but it appears to be a roll pin with a head.  On the extractor side I can see the pin and on the other side is the head that appears to be about 3/16" in diameter.

Will a standard AR cotter pin work as a replacement or do I need the "special" roll pin?

Thanks.

genimage.jpg

Edited by Flatland Shooter
5 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I've not taken it apart but it appears to be a roll pin with a head.  On the extractor side I can see the pin and on the other side is the head that appears to be about 3/16" in diameter.

Will a standard AR cotter pin work as a replacement or do I need the "special" roll pin?

Thanks.

genimage.jpg

Yeah, definitely not mine!

On 9/16/2018 at 11:58 AM, sasquatch981 said:

Thanks guys,  ended up going with the Faxon with the AR extractor.  Now to work on the recoil system.  I want to test the JP scs,  versus the Hudraulic buffer, JP AR308 springs, and the waffle spring!!!

i have used the JP and Taccom, both work great.. 

Hi folks.  I joined after I spotted a thread on the Endomag on the forum.  I will be testing the CMMG Banshee (RDB bolt system) with the Endomags when they ship end of this month.  I think CMMG has a hit on their hands with their bolt system.

We are about to be in new territory with the CMMG Radial Delayed Blowback bcg along with the Mean Arms Endomag.  The RDB system is not straight blowback and eliminates a lot of the beating a 9mm build gets.  The Endomag (if it proves to be reliable) will supersede mag blocks unless you have a drum magazine.  Buffers and springs may also be simplified.  I am hopeful I will be able to swap uppers on my Spike's Cal Multi lower and slap in the 9mm  Endomag equipped Pmag M2 or M3 and get back on target.   The Banshee and Guard both utilize a standard carbine buffer and .308 spring so I may not have to even swap buffer/spring to get it running right.  

This is my first foray into PCC and I'm glad I waited to learn a bit before jumping in to the earlier technology around blow back systems.  Testing will tell the tale.  Can't wait to get started.

CMMG Banshee upper Spike's Tactical Cal Multi lower

ps.  If you decide to order Endomags for a Guard/Banshee upper ask for that version when you order.  The Guard/Banshee Endomags are not shipped with an ejector tab on the mag.

Edited by HDSledge
Removed political content
3 hours ago, HDSledge said:

Hi folks.  I joined after I spotted a thread on the Endomag on the forum.  I will be testing the CMMG Banshee (RDB bolt system) with the Endomags when they ship end of this month.  I think CMMG has a hit on their hands with their bolt system.

We are about to be in new territory with the CMMG radial Delayed blowback bcg along with the Mean Arms Endomag.  The RDB system is not straight blowback and eliminates a lot of the beating a 9mm build gets.  The Endomag (if it proves to be reliable) will supersede mag blocks unless you have a drum magazine.  Buffers and springs may also be simplified.  I am hopeful I will be able to swap uppers on my Spike's Cal Multi lower and slap in the 9mm  Endomag equipped Pmag M2 or M3 and get back on target.   The Banshee and Guard both utilize a standard carbine buffer and .308 spring so I may not have to even swap buffer/spring to get it running right.  

This is my first foray into PCC and I'm glad I waited to learn a bit before jumping in to the earlier technology around blow back systems.  Testing will tell the tale.  Can't wait to get started.

CMMG Banshee upper Spike's Tactical Cal Multi lower

ps.  If you decide to order Endomags for a Guard/Banshee upper ask for that version when you order.  The Guard/Banshee Endomags are not shipped with an ejector tab on the mag.

Amen to that !!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 11:21 AM, TRUBL said:

Tim

Tim, will the new Extreme bolt work with Shooting Innovations ramped 16" barrel? Thank you.

Edited by hessy2000

9 hours ago, hessy2000 said:

Tim, will the new Extreme bolt work with Shooting Innovations ramped 16" barrel? Thank you.

As long as it followed the design of our old ramped barrels it will. FYI.....our new Extreme Feed Ramped barrels will work with ANY 9mm bolt.

https://taccom3g.com/product/taccom-ar15-ulw-9mm-pcc-ramped-barrel/

taccom-ULW-9mm-ramped-barrel-pic3.thumb.jpg.27dc34573314a2931e4b92f075467d65.jpg

Edited by TRUBL