Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats the new hotness for the 9mm AR Bolt Carrier?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on the buffer 

if you're running a SCS style buffer, the JP is still the best option, due to the weight.
JP BCG weighs 13.5oz with no back weight
Taccom extreme weighs 14.4oz with a weight, about 11.5-12oz without a weight.

if you run a ramped barrel, you're pretty much forced to run the taccom extreme bolt

I’ve never had any issues with my JP Bolt and captured recoil spring setup. My only complaint, and one that I’ve heard from serval guys I shoot with regularly that run them, is they never look or feel clean, their coating is great, but it’s hard to make look clean. If that matters to you, they also have a chrome 9mm bolt I believe. 

14 hours ago, mmlook said:

depends on the buffer 

if you're running a SCS style buffer, the JP is still the best option, due to the weight.

if you run a ramped barrel, you're pretty much forced to run the taccom extreme bolt

Faxom bolt is 14 5/8 oz with weight in.  12 1/8 oz with weight removed.

9 minutes ago, jackson923 said:

Check out the Foxtrot Mike bolt at either Brownells or Primary Arms. It may be listed as FM Products.  Best value bolt on the market in my opinion.  I know they ran 8K rounds over the weekend of either Tula or Wolf 9mm at 3Gun Nation Nationals last November without a single malfunction 

I have the Colt pattern Foxtrot Mike, got thru DSG they're putting them on sale every other day it seems. Seems like a decent piece, but I only have 300 or so thru it. Also uses a standard AR extractor.

depends on the buffer 

I’ve been running a JPSCS buffer with my Taccom bolt since December, and I think the Taccom is a better option with the SCS. I like the lighter weight with my light loads, and it is super soft shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:01 PM, Beef15 said:

I have the Colt pattern Foxtrot Mike, got thru DSG they're putting them on sale every other day it seems. Seems like a decent piece, but I only have 300 or so thru it. Also uses a standard AR extractor.

I don't have the Colt pattern but I do have his Glock lower with not one single issue with mine.

Taccom extreme. I believe the Faxxon and Taccom are the same bolt. Taccom coats theirs and changes the gas key which is recommended.

The nickel boron coating is nice. I have well over 20k rounds on mine and it's not as slick as it was but I think that's expected. Still much easier to clean.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I don't have anything to compare to but the Taccom is stupid easy to clean up and has worked great.

I will say though I did kill a firing pin pretty quick in mine (600 or so rounds).  The replacement they have sent me has been flawless for about 2500 more.  I'm not sure if it was a bad pin or my Hyperfire trigger beating the hell out of it.

When I built my gun I bought a Spinta bolt/upper combo, blem of course. They both seem to be just fine so far.

If I ever need to replace the bolt I will review this thread and make my decision from there. I do have the awesome Taccom3 buffer, so a matching Nb bolt would probably be the way to go !

The one nice thing about the Spinta bolt was I was able to take the weight out of it when I put the Taccom3 buffer in, I don't think you can do that with all of them?

Edited by SJMPCC022
add content
22 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Looks like the Taccom Extreme bolt uses a proprietary pin to hold in the firing pin

Probably never needs to be replaced unless lost but are they available?

Hhmmmm....  When I’ve taken my bolt apart they look like standard AR cotter keys to me, but I’ve never actually compared them side-by-side.  I’m sure if you contact Tim, he’ll sell you some or advise otherwise.  I’d recommend buying a spare firing pin and extractor at the same time. Cheap insurance.  

Edited by jkrispies