Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO 9 recoil spring ?

igolfat8

I’m running 130Pf loads and the stock 16 lb spring chucked brass into the next county. I put in the 13 and it wasn’t any better then the 11# spring and it wasn’t any better either. What makes these things toss brass to kingdom come? I thought lighter springs would reduce the distance the brass is ejected. 

The 16# spring made the dot settle back to POA while the 11# made the do dip below POA and the13# made the dot settle above POA. Does this sound normal? 

That doesn’t sound normal to me. Typically the higher rate spring will return the slide to battery with more force and thus dip the muzzle when lockup occurs. Does the slide velocity seem slower with the 16lb spring vs the alternate ones?  I’m still getting used to my new TSO 9mm but all of my brass from my 130PF reloads ejects around 3-5 ft at my 3-4 o’clock position regardless of the recoil springs.  I did notice with mine that the slide seemed a tad sluggish with my reloads and the stock installed tapered end 16lb spring compared to either the 11 or 13. 

Edited by lksyotas

The lighter the spring the further the brass will fly. The lighter spring has less resistance and is allowing the slide to move rearward faster throwing the brass farther. The lighter spring should also cause the dot to settle in slower and cause less nose dive. Typical if a 13# spring cycles the gun and gets the slide to return to POA then a lighter spring would return the slide slower and usually cause the return to be slightly higher than POA. If you go with a heavier spring it will return the slide faster causing the gun to nose dive. 

My TSO tends to eject brass 12-15', regardless of recoil spring.  A while back I was at the range, had some extra time and a bag of recoil springs ranging from 10-18 pounds.  The primary reason for testing the different recoil springs was to see what impact they had on slide speed and follow-up shot, sight picture.

I fired 10 rounds with each recoil spring and afterwards while picking up my brass I didn't notice a dramatic shift in the ejection distance. Maybe a foot, max.  Which is typical for my gun, during practice, depending on the wind and how they bounce.

My TSO tends to eject brass 12-15', regardless of recoil spring.

Hi Muncie,

What causes your gun to throw brass 15 feet? Just seems a bit far.

Is your TSO a 9mm?

What ammo/power factor do you use?

Are your cases aluminum?

Your other CZs do the same?

Just curious, please don't take offense.

15 hours ago, robert.a.brewer. said:

Hi Muncie,

What causes your gun to throw brass 15 feet? Just seems a bit far.

I have two .40 TSOs and they both do this.  Matter of fact, just to be sure I wasn't misjudging distance, I used a tape measure the last time I was at the range.  Sure enough, most of the shell cases were in the 12-15' range from where I was standing. 

I load (brass and nickel plated brass) to major PF typically in the 168-172 range and normally run 11# recoil springs.  I have used heavier springs than these,16 for sure and maybe an 18, but it has been a while so I'm not certain, when I was doing load development.  The weight of the spring didn't seem to matter very much (maybe a few feet) where the cases landed.

Just noticed while responding that I posted in the 9mm thread.  I should have mentioned that in my original post.  I have a 9mm TSO, however don't shoot it that much, so not sure how far it tosses the brass, but I do know that it's further than 5-6'.

image.png.360977a0bf52c509f214dc2e2ce749e1.png

Edited by muncie21

The factory springs that come with the gun aren't my first choice for tuning.  

Spring packs are available from places like Wolff, Cajun, and CZC.

For 128-130 PF 9mm,  a 9 lb. spring was all I needed. 

For 168-170 PF .40, I use a 12 lb. spring.  

Each upper ejects rounds 6-8 feet to my 4:00, I've never broken a slide stop, and I don't run a buffer.

5 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

Do you 9 guys run the buffer? The manual says it’s a stock part for the 40 but not for the 9 TSO yet my 9 came with one installed?

No buffer for me. Either 9mm or .40 S&W.  11# spring in the .40 and #10 in the 9mm.

Edited by muncie21

29 minutes ago, igolfat8 said:

Looking on Wolff’s Site and they list:

CZ-75

CZ75-B

Compact and 

LSP, Long Side models.

They don’t list a recoil spring for a TS or TSO. Which recoil calibration pack do I need for a TSO?

53809 is the part# for the 9lb spring for the TSO and 53810 is the part# for the 10lb spring for the TSO. They are the ones I have. By looking at the description, you will be able to see the model numbers that the TSO needs since they don't list one for the TSO specifically. Hope this helps. 

Do you 9 guys run the buffer? The manual says it’s a stock part for the 40 but not for the 9 TSO yet my 9 came with one installed?
I run the buffer since one came installed in my 9mm TSO made in the summer of 2017. I was, however, surprised to see it.

My 9mm TS did not come with one.

I thought I would see how the TSO shot with the buffer and watch it for signs of wear. It seems to be doing fine. Got spare buffers, as well, so I thought I would use it.

Softens the recoil a tad, and helps decrease slide wear, I hear. I've never shot the TSO without it.

1 hour ago, igolfat8 said:

Looking on Wolff’s Site and they list:

CZ-75

CZ75-B

Compact and 

LSP, Long Side models.

They don’t list a recoil spring for a TS or TSO. Which recoil calibration pack do I need for a TSO?

"Long slide models" would include the TS and TSO.

18 hours ago, sixsixnine said:

"Long slide models" would include the TS and TSO.

Hmmmm, Totally different part numbers for the long slide springs vs the 75B strings that BLUEPSTU quoted above??? Wonder what the difference is. I ordered the ones that BLUEPSTU quoted here below:

https://www.gunsprings.com/CZ/75 Series/cID1/mID16/dID91#834

On 9/14/2018 at 2:48 PM, igolfat8 said:

Hmmmm, Totally different part numbers for the long slide springs vs the 75B strings that BLUEPSTU quoted above??? Wonder what the difference is. I ordered the ones that BLUEPSTU quoted here below:

https://www.gunsprings.com/CZ/75 Series/cID1/mID16/dID91#834

You won't regret it. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to rack the slide. NoKimberDave was the one who told me about the proper ones I showed you.

I go with a 12# in my Shadow long-sidle (Tac Sport slide) when shooting 9mm (conversion barrel), with a 'thick' buffer.  Seems to balance and time out the best in terms of impact on recoil and getting back into battery.  When shooting .40 (original caliber for the TS slide) I use a 14#, which brings the muzzle back down harder to compensate for a little more lift with .40 S&W.

On 9/8/2018 at 12:33 AM, sixsixnine said:

The factory springs that come with the gun aren't my first choice for tuning.  

Spring packs are available from places like Wolff, Cajun, and CZC.

For 128-130 PF 9mm,  a 9 lb. spring was all I needed. 

For 168-170 PF .40, I use a 12 lb. spring.  

Each upper ejects rounds 6-8 feet to my 4:00, I've never broken a slide stop, and I don't run a buffer.

Standard ammo from Magtech - 40B is doing 175 PF with standard 180gr bullet.

How many rounds did you run with your slide stop?  The reason  Iam interested because it triggered me - 

During my shooting over the year I have shot ~ 35K rounds

Broke about 9 slide -stops

I am using SPRINCO recoil reducer( special for CZ TS40 )  and CZcustom 15LB spring

Did you break any barrel LUG? Did you break Any barrel at the chamber?

On 9/1/2018 at 5:52 AM, igolfat8 said:

I’m running 130Pf loads and the stock 16 lb spring chucked brass into the next county. I put in the 13 and it wasn’t any better then the 11# spring and it wasn’t any better either. What makes these things toss brass to kingdom come? I thought lighter springs would reduce the distance the brass is ejected. 

The 16# spring made the dot settle back to POA while the 11# made the do dip below POA and the13# made the dot settle above POA. Does this sound normal? 

What I did is to buy the recoil reducer from DPM- it comes with 4 springs at the pack. each spring for different load.

Running it for 5 years. - about 20K of ammo, the original spring is still alive 

10 hours ago, asimonp79 said:

Standard ammo from Magtech - 40B is doing 175 PF with standard 180gr bullet.

How many rounds did you run with your slide stop?  The reason  Iam interested because it triggered me - 

During my shooting over the year I have shot ~ 35K rounds

Broke about 9 slide -stops

I am using SPRINCO recoil reducer( special for CZ TS40 )  and CZcustom 15LB spring

Did you break any barrel LUG? Did you break Any barrel at the chamber?

I don't run factory ammo, and I don't use any recoil reducing devices.  

Standard springs on a CZ Custom steel guide rod.

My .40 major load is a 200 grain bullet moving around 850 fps.

My 9mm minor load is a 165 grain bullet moving around 790 fps.  

Both of those are significantly lighter than 'standard ammo from Magtech.' 

I've got roughly 10k rounds on my current slide stop, and it still looks fine.  No broken lugs, no broken barrels.  Nothing like what you're describing.

I keep an extra slide stop in my range bag, just in case, but so far so good.