Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Possible to rent a chamfering cutter?

FWSixgunner

1 hour ago, Shootingbeaver said:

I don’t know if I could make them even and look this clean with a dremel.  Any special trick you used?

Not really. I have the cylinder in some delrin vice jaws. Then I use a carbide cutter, a small stone, a sanding drum then I polish it. I let the cutter do the work, then just work the tool marks out of it. 

Looking at the dremel website I'd have to guess numbers 9903, 453 and 430. I don't see a little polishing drum on their site, but it's a basic little thing that I put some polish on. A few minutes starring at the right isle in the hardware store should do it. 

I don't touch the extractor. Just hold the bit at 45 degrees and work around the chamber. 

Like everyone said, you're just breaking the edge. No need for a huge hole to hit a solid reload. 

I know plenty of people here are not fans of a dremel, and most of the time I wouldn't 100% agree. I think people get either carried away with how much gets cut, or the tool gets away from the user. But it's also tough for me to argue with decent results. 

If you're worried about not holding the tool or cylinder properly, or thinking you can't do it safely, then do the common sense thing and mail that cylinder to TK or buy the chamfer tool. 

On 9/3/2018 at 1:35 PM, Bosshoss said:

Don't see any reason that wouldn't work but looks like crap. To each there own.

https://i.imgur.com/aknyt85.jpg[/img]

Here is a 627 cylinder(that hopefully shows up) that I did. Believe it or not it is NOT chamfered any deeper than the factory chamfer on the extractor. It still supports the moonclip and the bottom of the star and cylinder junction are still full width so the cylinder/star fit is the same as stock.

To be fair I guess there are a couple of downsides to this deep a chamfer.

1. MUST use moonclips can no longer shoot individual rounds and I inform the customer of this before I do the chamfer.

2. The legs on  the star are slightly weaker but I have never had any problem with any of them breaking.

Well not sure why image isn't showing up have to click link.

Any tips on getting images to show up? Never had any problems when I was using photobucket but imgur isn't working.

How's this?

aknyt85.jpg

I appreciate your passion and obvious level of expertise. That being said, when you said no one has ever been able to give you the downside of “big chamfers” I don’t think many people would have assumed you meant barely breaking the edges of the star as it should be done when chamfering correctly. I would define that as “normal chamfers” as opposed to the factory’s “no chamfers” and these being “big chamfers”. Lol. 
Lee
40E10ADD-49B0-4059-970E-1883A36D63EC.thumb.jpeg.aedc613f70b3b060e3ec1dd35aae6f0f.jpeg

That thing looks like you could toss the clip in the air and stick it without looking.

I just bought a second 627 for a backup.  Used but looks like new and shoots beautifully.  Moonclipped rounds that drop right into my 1st 627 get hung up dropping into this gun but with a wiggle, or two, I can get them to drop in.  The edge of the case at the crimp seems to be getting caught on the edge of the top of the chamber.  They drop in fine one by one.  Can there be a difference in the measurements of the chamber openings from the factory?  Both guns have only factory chamfering.  Seems like having it chamfered might solve my problem? 

Edited by kimmie
spelling

1 hour ago, kimmie said:

I just bought a second 627 for a backup.  Used but looks like new and shoots beautifully.  Moonclipped rounds that drop right into my 1st 627 get hung up dropping into this gun but with a wiggle, or two, I can get them to drop in.  The edge of the case at the crimp seems to be getting caught on the edge of the top of the chamber.  They drop in fine one by one.  Can there be a difference in the measurements of the chamber openings from the factory?  Both guns have only factor chamfering.  Seems like having it chamfered might solve my problem? 

I think so