Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to rifle reloading. Looking to get setup.

mrpredictable

I currently have a XL650 that is only short automation that I am reloading 9mm for USPSA on and I am getting into rifle reloading. I plan on reloading .300 winmag for hunting on a single stage and eventually loading .223 for 3 gun on the Dillon. 

I am running into difficulties in what I should purchase to set this up. I am in need of a rifle primer, trimmer and swager. 

I am envisioning my processes will look like this

.300wm

clean

lube

fl size/deprime

trim if oversized

prime

hand fill powder

seat bullet

clean

lube

first pass through Dillon Resize/deprime

swage if necessary

trim if necessary

2nd pass though Dillon prime/powder/bullet/seat

Any issues with these processes?

I am planning on buying a Lee bench mounted auto prime as I sold the hand primer that came with the rock chucker. 

For trimming i am looking at the Worlds finest trimmer or something like this https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Platinum-Center-System/dp/B00HS7JEB4

The frankford would potentially eliminate the need for a separate swager, otherwise I was looking at the Dillon super swager. 

Also is a lube die worth it?

Thoughts?

I bought the frank ford arsenal four station machine you listed, and I really like it. I resize and deprime on a single stage, then brass goes to that machine. I finish everything up on my 550. 

I shoot mixed range brass so everything gets trimmed and all the primer pockets get cut. I had a lot better luck with the rcbs small primer pocket decrimping cutter than I did with the Lyman. The rcbs removes less material, does not over cut, and has a better success rate when I go to prime. (The Frankford machine doesn’t come with a primer pocket cutter, but everything seems to have common thread sizes)

Setting up the trimmer involves some trial and error if you are switching from 223 to 300 wm, but it’s not that bad. You probably won’t be switching that often.

If you are going to be trimming in bulk I would defiantly look at getting the Dillon case trimmer and having a specific tool head set up to de-prime, size and trim the cases. I sized and trimmed 2700 .223 cases in about 4 hours. I swage with a Hornady single stage swager set up on a single stage press.