Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at gun (vs target) during draw stroke

wrx04

I’m new to USPSA.....just shot my first match two weeks ago and had a blast.  I didn’t do too bad for my first one, but obviously have a lot of room for improvement.

Ive been practicing dryfire, and feel like the initial grip on the pistol is crucial.  I figure it may benefit me to look at the gun during the draw rather than target.  I feel this lets me nail the grip immediately and it takes only a split second to snap my eyes back onto the target.  Any opinions on this?

I noticed a lot of experienced shooters keep their eye on target through the draw stroke, but I assume that’s because their muscle memory is on point.  Thanks .

Edited by wrx04

The gun will always be in the same spot, right where you left it. I don't think there is any advantage to looking down at it when its in the holster.

If you want to look at it if you have to pick it up off a table that makes sense. 

Learn to find the gun without looking. Learn it slow and speed up when you are consistent. Keep your eyes on where you need the gun to appear (if Written Stage Briefing allows).

Obviously, with table or briefcase starts, etc.  look at where the pistol is.

90% of my dry fire drills incorporate a draw and reload. You will develop a natural index point where the sights align with your eyes. This can be developed/checked by drawing with your eyes closed and then opening them to check sight alignment.

Keep practicing and it becomes natural. 

3 hours ago, Goodonpaper said:

90% of my dry fire drills incorporate a draw and reload. You will develop a natural index point where the sights align with your eyes. This can be developed/checked by drawing with your eyes closed and then opening them to check sight alignment.

Never thought to do some draws with my eyes closed, great idea thanks!

There are certain situations where it is best to look at the gun on the draw.  
Unorthodox start positions such as hands on a wall  or some place that you don't normally practice.
Normal hands at sides or even surrender, you will just know where the gun is eventually.  

2 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Never thought to do some draws with my eyes closed, great idea thanks!

Brian has it in his book. It is a development of Draw to an empty wall until you get the sights aligned without looking for them -> Draw to a target and the aligned sights appear on the target. -> draw with your eyes closed and verify that the sights are aligned -> draw with your eyes closed and verify that the aligned sights are on the target.

... or something like that.

Ok, the consensus is overwhelming....I just need to get more reps to know exactly where the gun is.  I get a good grip 90% of the time, but I still have plenty where I miss.

I do have the Stoeger and Anderson dryfire books, and I’ve read Brian’s “Fundamentals of Shooting”.....just gotta put some time in.

20 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I keep my eye on the target, and I'm only a low B shooter.    :) 

Is that another bash on the Facebook post?

Anyway, The gun will be in the same spot every time.  If you focus on the gun and not the target, after you draw you will need to acquire the target and align the sights which takes longer.  Longer is slower in USPSA.

Keep practicing your dry fire and your draw will become second nature. 

10 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

No.    Not aware of "the FB post" ?

You'll get a kick out of this one.  Read it from the beginning!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PISTOLCALIBERCARBINEUNIVERSE/permalink/1944057205650464/?comment_id=1944793052243546&notif_id=1535555449082602&notif_t=group_comment_reply

Edited by stick

The way I draw is always looking at the first target, while bringing the sights up to your line of vision.  When you bring the gun up, keep it pointed parallel to your line of vision, imagine a line coming out if your barrel, moving up til it meets your vision.

If, at the initial draw the 1st target is over 15 yds away I will look 6 feet in front of the target at the ground, this helps me pick up the sights quicker at longer distance targets, otherwise at the A zone. 

• 4 months later...

When using binos you look at object and then raise them into your line of sight.
Same thing with your sights
If you’re not looking at the target you will have to search for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 7:32 AM, Goodonpaper said:

This.  And lots of it. Dry fire practice any and every time you get. Drill it til you can't stand doing anymore and then keep doing it. Eventually the pistol will come out of the holster with a perfect and consistent grip and will rise up as your left hand comes into contact and stop with the sights aligned the exact point your eyes are focused on. But understand it takes a LOT of practice to get there and good enough ain't good enough. Everything should be as automatic as walking.

like all things in this sport, these actions look natural and effortless because people spend countless hours and thousands of reps practicing simple movements like reloading and draws at home.  Try to spend 10 minutes a day on your draw. You will build the muscle memory and eventually will not even have to look at the pistol.

Edited by beta1759

I had a GM advise me to let my thumb drag up the side of the gun as I started my draw. It insures that your hand is in the same position every time as you grab the gun.  Seems to work fairly well for a "hands relaxed at sides" start.  

26 minutes ago, mvmojo said:

I had a GM advise me to let my thumb drag up the side of the gun as I started my draw. It insures that your hand is in the same position every time as you grab the gun.  Seems to work fairly well for a "hands relaxed at sides" start.  

I rest my forearm in the same position on the grip and kind of slide up that way...same idea, starting in the same position each and every time...