Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much does the 10x cajun bushing improve accuracy in the shadow 2?

kmam2010

The install on both my Shadow 2s was extremely easy.

Whether the upgrade for you is necessary is based on stock bushing in your gun.  If yours shoots accurately with the stock part, there’s no need. On the other hand, if you are confident that you are doing your part, and are still not happy with the results, then maybe think about swapping it out.  The amount of improvement, again, will be variable based on your guns current performance.

For me, whenever CGW comes out with a new component, it’s always a necessity. ?

Edited by MissionaryMike

In one gun it made a huge difference. In one gun none. In the gun where I saw no change I went back to the stock bushing. And like a lot of guns I had to spend a little time finding the right load it liked as well. I've seen huge differences in accuracy from different bullets, velocities and lengths.

Looks like they would be a way to take measurements to determine the clearance between the barrel and bushing.  Does anyone know what the clearance is suppose to be? 

Edited by Dwbsig

I can tell you that from a bench rest, the stock bushing on my S2 was about 1.5" at 10 yards which is what I zero my red dot at. With the 10x it was less than 1" at the same distance. It's worth every penny to me for having the peace of mind knowing that it's dead on and no way to blame the equipment.

Everyone who has used my S2 (only a few get to touch her) has said it's the most precise gun they've ever shot.

Disclaimers: I used fiocchi 115g factory ammo and I did it at 10 yards because all my matches are indoors so I never have to shoot further and because trying to zero for 25 yards is a fool's errand without a vice and binoculars. 

Kinda depends on the gun you put it on. On my compact the stock pattern was pretty bad, a bushing tightened everything up considerably. On my sp-01 the accuracy is already quite good and I haven't felt the need to put a bushing in.

16 hours ago, rowdyb said:

In one gun it made a huge difference. In one gun none. In the gun where I saw no change I went back to the stock bushing. And like a lot of guns I had to spend a little time finding the right load it liked as well. I've seen huge differences in accuracy from different bullets, velocities and lengths.

Like the man said.  It helps some and makes no difference in others.

If your gun shoots good groups then it's good to go.

If your gun doesn't shoot good groups and you KNOW it's the gun and not you, then try it to see.  I've got a couple/three CZ's with no need of the bushing and it's helped the two I have installed them in.

CZ bushings are soft and do wear.  One bushing wore to .008" over barrel diameter.  I had a custom tool steel bushing made to .001" over and accuracy was terrific.   Another TS got the CGW 10x bushing for no other reason than it was supposed to be harder and longer lasting than the CZ.  Accuracy did improve slightly, because the CZ bushing had worn a little by 16,000 rounds.

As others have said, if your accuracy sucks, get the 10x.  If not, wait until you need it.  IMO, the ideal clearance is .001".  Any tighter than that and you may not be able to get the barrel back in the slide.  If you have a custom bushing made, you have to allow clearance for the barrel to cam.  If you buy a 10x, it is already configured properly.

If you do not have measuring tools, try this.  If you barrel goes in and out of the slide easily, you bushing is looser than .001".  With the 10x in place, you have to get the barrel in just the right position to insert it.

I've installed them in three Shadows, one being an S2.  With the S2, the groups were slightly larger with the 10x.

The most notable difference was the Accu bushing (SP01, not S2).  Night and day.

mine shoots lights out straight out of the box. I’m not sure how it could be much better with me behind the trigger. Someone else could maybe do better. 

What bullets are you shooting?

You could maybe go up .001” and it could really help. 

• 1 year later...

Its better quality hardened steel that's tight and will likely need some fitting.  Its obvious once you knock the stock one out and compare.  Mine shot good stock, great with the bushing.  There was a slight noticeable play stock and the barrel dropped in super easy so I did the bushing with other CGW mods.  I had to fit mine, could not get the barrel installed in ANY position.  Lots of elbow grease with #600 paper and constant checks until the barrel could just be installed, then a final polish.  Loosed up a hair more with 1K rounds and settled in to where it wants to be and has stayed the same since.  I also use a very thin coat of light moly grease on the barrel end and lugs after a cleaning.  

Edited by GMP

20 hours ago, GMP said:

Its better quality hardened steel that's tight and will likely need some fitting.  Its obvious once you knock the stock one out and compare.  Mine shot good stock, great with the bushing.  There was a slight noticeable play stock and the barrel dropped in super easy so I did the bushing with other CGW mods.  I had to fit mine, could not get the barrel installed in ANY position.  Lots of elbow grease with #600 paper and constant checks until the barrel could just be installed, then a final polish.  Loosed up a hair more with 1K rounds and settled in to where it wants to be and has stayed the same since.  I also use a very thin coat of light moly grease on the barrel end and lugs after a cleaning.  

The only thing to check is the bushing itself, right?

Is it IDPA legal since it's not a modification out of the gun? I might consider picking one for my SP01 since I noticed it's not as accurate as my S2

On 8/30/2018 at 5:34 PM, Dwbsig said:

Looks like they would be a way to take measurements to determine the clearance between the barrel and bushing.  Does anyone know what the clearance is suppose to be? 

On my custom guns (2 Les Baers, 1 with the 50 yard 1.5" guarantee, and one TSS/Bennie Hill) it is very close to an interference fit.

1 hour ago, xdf3 said:

The only thing to check is the bushing itself, right?

Is it IDPA legal since it's not a modification out of the gun? I might consider picking one for my SP01 since I noticed it's not as accurate as my S2

What I mean by check when fitting is barrel fit.  Basically if the barrel goes in straight and easy the bushing fit will be less than optimum.  On my stock S2 I could detect play but did not measure and calc clearance.  With the fitted CGW bushing I have to wiggle the barrel to the side at an angle to install it.  Next time I break the gun down I'll measure the parts, but there has to be a minimum clearance to allow assembly.  I would fit it so its a slight PIA to install but with no force, then it will break in nicely.

Its USPSA legal as far as I know, doesn't change external appearance of the gun.  You can see it of course but it looks the same. 

58 minutes ago, GMP said:

What I mean by check when fitting is barrel fit.  Basically if the barrel goes in straight and easy the bushing fit will be less than optimum.  On my stock S2 I could detect play but did not measure and calc clearance.  With the fitted CGW bushing I have to wiggle the barrel to the side at an angle to install it.  Next time I break the gun down I'll measure the parts, but there has to be a minimum clearance to allow assembly.  I would fit it so its a slight PIA to install but with no force, then it will break in nicely.

Its USPSA legal as far as I know, doesn't change external appearance of the gun.  You can see it of course but it looks the same. 

"You can see it of course but it looks the same. " -> So it's clear that it's an aftermarket bushing but it's similar, right?

Seems like it might take some work, but that doesn't seem to be hard

2 minutes ago, xdf3 said:

"You can see it of course but it looks the same. " -> So it's clear that it's an aftermarket bushing but it's similar, right?

Seems like it might take some work, but that doesn't seem to be hard

No its not clear.  What I mean is that you can see the front of the bushing of course but it does not look different. 

Its not hard.  The pin holds both the front sight and bushing.  Drive out pin, use a socket dropped into slide as a driver to tap out old bushing.  Tap in CGW part, aligning pin groove with hole in slide, drive in new pin.   Check and fit as needed.  All I did was #600 paper on my pinky finger evenly around,  keep going until barrel installs,  finish with crocus cloth.  Took an hour.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the cajun guys would tell you that on a new shadow 2 probably not much, although some guns are better from factory than others. The intent with their bushing is more of the long term reliability of their part not wearing down like the inferior OEM bushing not being as hard. The bushings make a noticeable improvement on guns that might have 20k rounds through them, where the OEM bushing is worn bad. With that being said, I install them on all my CZs right out of the box because I am an upgrade junky lol.

Mine was a big difference in fit on a new gun.  You could see the end of the barrel move in the stock bushing.  That's what motivated me to install the CGW part with the other upgrades,  it would be half ass not too.

• 3 weeks later...

I constantly see threads that speak of accurate groups of 1 - 3 inches at 10 yards.  (people can throw rocks that accurately) if a gun won't hold at least a 5"  group at 50 yds from a rest then it's not worth shooting.  Get a ransom rest.  Work with bullet type, seating depth and powder as they are different for each gun and each  barrel.  A great ammo in one gun it not always a great ammo in another gun.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 1:39 PM, GHUTCH said:

I constantly see threads that speak of accurate groups of 1 - 3 inches at 10 yards.  (people can throw rocks that accurately) if a gun won't hold at least a 5"  group at 50 yds from a rest then it's not worth shooting.  Get a ransom rest.  Work with bullet type, seating depth and powder as they are different for each gun and each  barrel.  A great ammo in one gun it not always a great ammo in another gun.  

Wise man. 

If you can't get ahold of a RR, you could try sandbags at 25 yards. Take your time and try to make sure the gun is in the same spot for every shot. It's not perfect, but sometimes you have to go with what you've got.

You may want to start with a known load as a baseline, ( Atlanta Arms match ammo) for example. 

Tons of knowledge here, just have to ask.