Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Mag Coupler Options

I would look at the MBX Extreme Inter-loc system. It does require that you use the MBX base pads but the modularity of the system is great and with the stabilizers you can create a pretty effective base for shooting prone. 

1 hour ago, TonytheTiger said:

Taylor Freelance are the kitties titties.

+1

The TF coupled baseplates on a pair of 30-round magazines is a good height for prone shooting for most people, and is noticeably more stable than monopod-ing off of a single mag. In addition, a pair of coupled 20-rounders can be occasionally handy for shooting off of a rooftop prop or other weird position that a 30-rounder is too long to fit into - gives you the maneuverability benefit of the shorter mag while mitigating the capacity disadvantage. Problem is, a 20-rounder doesn't have enough magazine body for most couplers to work with without modification... since the TF couples at the baseplate, no issues there.

I think the MBX uses a similar system? Can't speak to them, since I have no direct experience with them, but the TF are great.

It's better than a single mag for monopoding but not as good as two coupled mags.
I don't really notice a huge difference in stability between coupled and D60, but I do notice not having to reload.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1) Get one that allows some flex between the magazines so as to prevent the top round in the spare mag walking forwards. I find a single Arredondo works well, though it is a bit wide. On some guns I use a piece of wood and some 100mph tape - works great.

2) I don't notice much of an advantage in terms of stability with one mag vs. 2 mags vs. D60... all seem about the same on the clock. However, some matches treat cinched mags as a bipod and bump you to open if both mag bases touch the ground at the same time.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My last match I needed two 20rds coupled for a long range stage where you were required to shoot off a roof. 30 rd mags are too long and two 20s would have been perfect! One person in my squad had the MBX but that TF coupler setup looks better and is better on the wallet as well!

On 10/15/2018 at 11:29 PM, DJD said:

Magpul makes one that is under the 20.00 mark.  It definitely helps when going prone.

Try the Magpul coupler with 2-30's or 2- 40  P-mags depending on what height you like and get 2 Magpul Ranger feet for the bottoms to replace the base plates. This will give you a very stable platform for prone and they will flex slightly and absorb any recoil. Really works well, been using them for years.

gerritm