Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Pullers

Unless you have a ton of neck tension, a collet puller shouldn't deform bullets if it is properly adjusted. It will probably scratch coating, but the bullet is still usable. I still use a hammer for infrequent use, but if I'm pulling more than a couple.. the Hornady comes out.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, DWFAN said:

Unless you have a ton of neck tension, a collet puller shouldn't deform bullets if it is properly adjusted. It will probably scratch coating, but the bullet is still usable. I still use a hammer for infrequent use, but if I'm pulling more than a couple.. the Hornady comes out.

Speaking of the hornady. Everything I’m reading says “for rifle use only”. Is there a pistol version or just use the 35 cal collet in it?

Just now, DWFAN said:

I use the .35 collet. Never knew it said rifle only.

CAM LOCK™ BULLET PULLER

Item #050095

The fastest, easiest way to pull bullets with your press. Just clamp on the bullet, pull down on the handle and the bullet is removed. Intended for rifle cartridges only. Uses standard collets (sold separately, see chart below).

Thats cool. Im not here to debate what the marketing says. I use it for pistol and it is at least 2x as fast or faster as the hammer puller. With some pistol bullets, it may not work, but I havent found them yet.

7 minutes ago, DWFAN said:

Thats cool. Im not here to debate what the marketing says. I use it for pistol and it is at least 2x as fast or faster as the hammer puller. With some pistol bullets, it may not work, but I havent found them yet.

Don't get me wrong. That's not my point and I appreciate your help and will probably swing by Cabellas and get one if needed based on your recommendation. Then of course in reading reviews on amazon etc tons of people say it won't work for pistol. This is why I asked. Thanks for confirming it works.

I've got 2 collet pullers, RCBS and Hornady, and the Quinetics, they aren't even close to the speed I can smack them out with the inertial puller. Due to the Quinetics one having a split O'ring it's only a half turn to dump out the case and pulled bullet, insert new round and tighten again with a half turn and then smack. I had to pull just over 1500 rounds once due to a buddy not noticing the measure ran out of powder took me about 45 minutes at a nice easy pace. A little spilled powder from the odd case I had to hit twice on the floor, but not much. 

So, the grip n pull is a failure for me. I literally tried to pull 5 bullets and it wouldn't grip the coated round noses at all. It will be in the mail back to them for a refund tomorrow. The Hornady will pull them but there are quite a few adjustment tweaks to get it just right. In the long run I think the Hornady will be faster than a hammer but if it damages the bullet much I'll return it as well.

33 minutes ago, slavex said:

I've got 2 collet pullers, RCBS and Hornady, and the Quinetics, they aren't even close to the speed I can smack them out with the inertial puller. Due to the Quinetics one having a split O'ring it's only a half turn to dump out the case and pulled bullet, insert new round and tighten again with a half turn and then smack. I had to pull just over 1500 rounds once due to a buddy not noticing the measure ran out of powder took me about 45 minutes at a nice easy pace. A little spilled powder from the odd case I had to hit twice on the floor, but not much. 

I watched the video on Quinetics site and after he smacks to remove the bullet he completely unscrews the Bullet Puller Cap, then need to remove the oring off the brass, then pours out the bullet and powder, then places the oring on the puller, screws on the cap, insert another round, tighten the cap and snacks again. You said "it's only a half turn to dump out the case and pulled bullet, insert new round and tighten again with a half turn and then smack". Assuming you are doing or should I say undoing pistol rounds? Are you not removing the cap and oring each time? Just loosen and dumping all? I'm I missing something here? I like the one split oring...which is 1/2 the battle. Do you use the Uni-Chuck "Shim-Fit" Combo or just the oring and cap? Cheers, Alan

Edited by quiller

ugg, his videos need to be updated for sure. 

I do not need to remove the cap or the collet from the Quinetics puller when using it on pistol or even some rifle cartridges. His O'ring is crimped into place around the collet, and then cut in one spot. This allows the collet to self open/loosen when you undo the cap a half turn (maybe slightly more depending on the case in it), then dump out the contents, insert the new one and tighten again. 

I got the shim fit combo for my inertia pullers, I have one a Quinetics brand one, a Dillon, and an RCBS one (I bought a 3 pack when I replaced a broken puller a couple years ago). 

40 minutes ago, slavex said:

ugg, his videos need to be updated for sure. 

I do not need to remove the cap or the collet from the Quinetics puller when using it on pistol or even some rifle cartridges. His O'ring is crimped into place around the collet, and then cut in one spot. This allows the collet to self open/loosen when you undo the cap a half turn (maybe slightly more depending on the case in it), then dump out the contents, insert the new one and tighten again. 

I got the shim fit combo for my inertia pullers, I have one a Quinetics brand one, a Dillon, and an RCBS one (I bought a 3 pack when I replaced a broken puller a couple years ago). 

Does the shim fit combo make any puller work same as the kinetics puller. i.e. loosen cap and dump all contents out? I have a Dillon Hammer.

you need the split O'ring collet and the shim kit (well the shim kit is debatable, but he says it makes the collet last longer due to less flexing). He'll send you a new cap, collet and the shim plate and it should thread onto your Dillon hammer. Or you can just run the collet and shim plate with the original cap

• 7 months later...

Had to bring this up from the dead. Just had to take apart 2000 9 major rounds, and have always used a kinetic hammer style puller. I decided to get the RCBS Collet puller, and have to say it is the best piece of reloading kit I have gotten since I bought my 650. Was able to salvage all my powder, the bullets are JHP, and not a mark on them. The kinetic will be for just a handful or rounds or less. And I'm not exhausted.

On 5/2/2019 at 5:15 PM, OPENB said:

Had to bring this up from the dead. Just had to take apart 2000 9 major rounds, and have always used a kinetic hammer style puller. I decided to get the RCBS Collet puller, and have to say it is the best piece of reloading kit I have gotten since I bought my 650. Was able to salvage all my powder, the bullets are JHP, and not a mark on them. The kinetic will be for just a handful or rounds or less. And I'm not exhausted.

Yup, this is the best!! I used the grip-pull and also the kinetic hammer pullers. Both do not perform as well and as quick as the RCBS collet puller.

Last week I pulled some 150 rounds because one had probably a double charge, and it took me some 40 minutes. Could never do this fast with the kinetic puller. All parts were re-used without a problem and shot all fine.

2 hours ago, slavex said:

Using the Quinetics kinetic puller I could pull those in less than 10 minutes. Unless we're talking big rifle magnum rounds that won't fit into the quick collet

I just watched the videos on their website, and it looks for me very similar to the kinetic hammer I have. No way you pull 150 .45 ACP in 10 minutes.

you don't need to remove the cap, half a turn, insert the round, half turn to tighten, smack, half turn to loosen dump out components, continue. Not having to undo the cap completely, remove it, remove the collet, remove the case from the collet, and then reverse, is where you save the time. It only takes a few seconds to pull a round and a couple to swap in the new one. 

On 5/10/2019 at 2:03 AM, slavex said:

you don't need to remove the cap, half a turn, insert the round, half turn to tighten, smack, half turn to loosen dump out components, continue. Not having to undo the cap completely, remove it, remove the collet, remove the case from the collet, and then reverse, is where you save the time. It only takes a few seconds to pull a round and a couple to swap in the new one. 

Can confirm. I ordered the quinetics puller after reading through this thread. Been using my RCBS collet and it works great on FMJ and plated. Not as good with coated or moly bullets or SWC bullets. Quinetics made quick work of some 500 sw and some other random single calibers  I needed to pull. For large batches I prefer the RCBS. For small batches or just a few rounds the quinetics is much quicker. It’s also faster then other kinetic pullers I have used. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2019 at 4:03 AM, slavex said:

+1

I just got the Quinetics bullet puller, it is much , much faster than the other inertial bullet pullers. As said u don't have to take it apart between rounds, just loosen cap about a 1/4 turn and dump bullet, case and powder into a funnel over a cup. Powder goes into the cup, bullet and case else where. Put the next bullet in , 1/4 - 1/2 turn to tighten and repeat.