Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Pullers

I am going to pull some bullets out of Production rounds I no longer need and was wondering if anyone had any luck with the various pullers on the market vs a good old hammer puller. I'm looking at a thousand or more rounds eventually and wondered if the grip-n-pull or one of the various collet pullers would work on 9mm round nose bullets. All videos only show pulling long rifle bullets. Any experiences are appreciated.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarge, awhile back I ran into the same situation. I am not a huge fan of the old hammer type when it comes to quantity. Therefore I purchased a RCBS collet bullet puller and attached it to an old single stage press that I had laying around. It works really well for me, I just sit down and go to work. 

6 minutes ago, drivingit said:

Sarge, awhile back I ran into the same situation. I am not a huge fan of the old hammer type when it comes to quantity. Therefore I purchased a RCBS collet bullet puller and attached it to an old single stage press that I had laying around. It works really well for me, I just sit down and go to work. 

What type bullets? All I have read so far says they can be hard on bullets that are not jacketed. I will be trying to pull BBI's which are coated. I don't mind if they get a mark on them but I don't want to deform them. Thanks for the input.

57 minutes ago, drivingit said:

+1 but I have only used it on jacketed bullets. 

I used to use a hammer whack-a-mole type bullet puller, but those are best used as penance to remind us about the stupidity of maintaining bad reloading practices - or to severely punish disrespectful children.

I now use a Hornady CAM LOCK bullet puller.

I even dug up and repurposed an old Lee $20 cheap ass press exclusively for this, which makes me feel wonderful. : )

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/lock-n-load-accessories/bullet-pullers-bullet-collets#!/

Anyways I forget why I chose the Hornady over the RCBS, I think because I thought the lever action would be more ergonomic than the twisty.  I think the Hornady is one of heaven's greatest inventions next to the GPS and back up cameras : ) (all of which make it less painful to be an idiot).

The collet does leave 4 tooth marks on coated and jacketed bullets.  But does not deform.  I have reused salvaged projectiles.  You can adjust the grip by the depth of the die or by how much you pull down the lever.

The grip n pull is pretty cool.. thanks for sharing that.  The price aside, the grip n pull has the advantage of being able to handle multiple calibres at once and less chance to leave tooth marks on the bullet.  The Hornady is pretty brainless in operation but you usually set it in a way that it can typically handle only one bullet calibre and profile at a time.

Edited by Sniperboy

I've used the RCBS collet puller for 9mm and it seems to depend a lot on the bullet profile as to how effective it is.

FMJ profile works ok. Flat nose (truncated cone type) not so much.

I wouldn't buy it again if it broke. 

ANd I thought I was the only one...........Early in my reloading career, I volunteer to reload for a co-worker cop with his components.  He brought over bullets and primers I was familiar with,  but with a powder (Solo1000) I wasn't.  I researched for loading data and their website took me to another website without being totally obvious.  So I ended up overcharging about 500 rounds of ammo before I caught the mistake.  Those rounds moved with me to three different homes before I finally pulled them with the blue hammer last spring.  

On 8/30/2018 at 12:30 PM, caspian guy said:

I Iike the hornady, having to change collets is a pain but I like the fact that it uses a close fitting collet to grip the bullet.

This is what I used to pull 1,000 bullets from loads that were too hot (used different brass without testing). I couldn’t find a 9mm collet so I used one for rifle sized bullets. After adjusting, I was able to pull the JHP bullets without marking them up. Better than using the kinetic puller. I also have the Grip n Pull which is good for smaller amounts since you have to squeeze tight enough to keep the bullet from sliding through.

Hopefully your loads have enough of the bearing surface exposed to get a good grip for either method. 

11 hours ago, cecil said:

I use a RCBS collet bullet puller... works great on plated bullets & jacketed bullets... no spilled powder & quick

Same here, works like a charm, much better than the hammer thingies, never liked them. One can do quite a number with the collet puller. The collets come in all mind of sizes. Use mine with a simple lee single stage press.

On 8/30/2018 at 4:09 PM, RiggerJJ said:

Bought the grip-n-pull for some rifle rounds I loaded too hot, totally screwed/deformed the bullets, ended up using the hammer...

On 8/30/2018 at 5:59 PM, Sarge said:

Ordered a grip n pull to test first.

Should have asked Sarge, I would have sent you my g&p. Not at all happy with it, the rifle bullets I pulled are not reusable because of it...not sure about pistol bullets...

jj

2 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

Should have asked Sarge, I would have sent you my g&p. Not at all happy with it, the rifle bullets I pulled are not reusable because of it...not sure about pistol bullets...

jj

When I called g&p the guy was pretty honest and admitted he wasn’t sure how well it would do with coated bullets. But they will refund my money if it doesn’t work out.

I use the RCBS collet puller and really depends on the bullet as well as the profile if you’ll be able to reuse the bullet. I had to pull some blue bullet 147rn that could have been reused if needed, they looked good just a slight line from the collet. I’ve also pulled some Berry’s 147rd that pretty much we’re ruined, the collet really deformed those rounds.

7 hours ago, slavex said:

The Quinetics bullet puller is the shiznit when it comes to having to pull a lot of bullets, fastest way to do it. 

Not  even close. Trust me on this. 

If you have volume to pull, a hammer based puller like this is painfully slow compared to a collet bullet puller. I use the Hornady Cam lock on a  single stage press.