Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major: Reloading vs Buying Ammo

blindmarksman

Given the high PF needed to run open guns how many of you reload versus buying ammo from a manufacturer (i.e. Atlanta Arms). When talking to people in local matches basically everyone reloads their own due to high costs. Just curious what you all do, especially fellow 9mm major guys.

I used the search but most of the threads were from before 2012 before a lot of companies even offered major power factor rounds.

37 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

A very small amount of people buy ammo in open. I would venture to guess 95%+ of all open shooters roll their own.

^^^^^^^^^^^   This     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was afraid of loading major pf 9mm at first (12 years ago) and started shooting

factory Remington green box 115 gr thru my TruBor.   Iff the gun was Very Clean

and Very Well Lubed, it worked okay, but the empty cases dribbled out.

Found local shooter who reloaded 9mm Major for other people and bought a

1,000 of them.   Tried them out, loved them, and started loading the same way

he did (HS6 and 115 gr JHP's). 

Worked so well, I stayed with it, but switched to WAC and 124 gr bullets because

they didn't overflow the case during the reloading phase and the bullets didn't

pop out as they chambered leaving a mess of powder all over the

inside of the gun.

:) 

Buying 9 major = >.$.4/round

Reloading with reprocessed brass = $.19/round on first reload, $.165/round on second reload... $.1575/round on third reload (don't make it past that usually)

I have shot 7500 rounds through my open gun this year, of which about 2000 has been factory minor, so 5500 rounds of major.  That's $1155 in savings over buying new just this year so far!

Oh, and even buying new brass, which I just did to make some loads for Nationals, it's still only $.27/round

Edited by bluedevil008

I originally bought 1k of 147grn 9 major ammo from AA just to get shooting as soon I as the gun came in but as soon as I could get my press setup I started loading my own that works a lot better in my gun. I actually still have like 300 rnds of that ammo sitting in a box somewhere. 

Load your own is the way to go. There are a couple of people actually loading some major ammo that is not crazy priced like it used to be. But as others say tuning the ammo to your gun makes it run better and is half the fun. I loaded over 600 rounds with 5 different powders before deciding on a load for mine.

I choose to buy my 9 major ammo from Everglades ammunition and black dot. Mainly cause of time and space for a reloading machine and I also do not shoot 10s of thousands of rounds a year. Really only shoot 1 or 2 matches a month. Which means I may go through 1500 rounds a year. If later on in life I do have more time to shoot more I would want to reload though

Dillon press and accessories was about ~$1,300 shipped - I load for about $0.16/per compared to $.028/per of Atlanta arms, so the break even point was ~4700 rounds.

Assume 2 matches and 2 practice sessions a month, let's call it 1k a month, you break even on the equipment in 5 months (basically one season). Do more matches or more practice sessions and you'll hit your break-even point faster.

Edited by sc68cal

Like said above, the most important thing is having reliable, consistent ammo that performs 100% in your gun and puts the lowest number on the timer. It's the easiest thing to tune to your pistol / shooter combo. The only way to find it is to experiment & tinker. Then you have to make a decision when you find a load you like and stop tinkering and start shooting. 

If you're not shooting regularly or don't have the time or equipment to load purchasing may be a viable option. But IMHO, using " one size fits all " ammo would be leaving a bit of performance on the table. Not brand bashing at all, just saying that every load will feel & act a bit different in every gun. 

Not saying cost isn't relevant, but for me it's way down on the list of criteria for ammo.