Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 8 unclassified shooter - need advice

SweetToof

Link to a google album with all but 2 stages filmed. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8hE1yotrHfEaBbxL8

My 4th USPSA match, started shooting about 2 years ago and started matches last year, have done around 20 steel challenge matches but just I'd like to shift to USPSA. I admittedly have only really been practicing SC, so I think I'm at a good spot considering where my focus has been.

Shooting Production with a G34

My first impressions after reviewing the footage were;

Not moving fast enough between positions, reloading on the move needs work

target transitions too slow

too much shuffling, need to do more sprinting

getting too deep in positions when not necessary, don't stick your gun in windows

only 1 train wreck involving unloaded start, shot an extra round causing a standing reload :(

stage planning was mostly good but noticed a few places where I could have moved a reload to a better spot

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Looks like GREAT shooting to me, for someone who has 4 matches under their belt     :cheers:

One thought, is have the photographer turn the camera on AFTER you're all loaded and ready,

so we don't have to watch you airgun and make ready ten times.     ?

Keep on dry firing - you'll make B in no time, and A soon after     :) 

19 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Looks like GREAT shooting to me, for someone who has 4 matches under their belt     :cheers:

One thought, is have the photographer turn the camera on AFTER you're all loaded and ready,

so we don't have to watch you airgun and make ready ten times.     ?

Keep on dry firing - you'll make B in no time, and A soon after     :) 

Thanks, I probably could have edited some of that loading crap out ?

Yes, move your left hand much much faster when drawing and reloading.

Yes, understand that like playing the drums your different body parts will be doing different things at different speeds. We subconsciously time things to finish all at once when we're doing two or three things at once. Often that causes one or more of the processes to slow down. Feet can move independent of hands and at different speeds and vice versus.

Going deep into a port or window is fine if it A. lets you keep your feet planted making it one shooting position versus two or three muddled together shuffling ones. and B. if you're able to shoot your way into and/or out of it.

Find match video of the same match of people who were decent bit better than you to compare and contrast what you've done. Knowing both your hits and times from their and your run. This gives you an idea of a near or possible goal/standard to meet. Ttthhheeennn look at the very best people to see what the ultimate possibility is and to get a good visual model to copy.

ps-I was 10th overall in Prod for this match, lots of A's but crap times. So if you want to compare notes about any specific stage I'd be happy to.

1 hour ago, George16 said:

Great shooting! I wish I can move as quick as you ?.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

Yes, move your left hand much much faster when drawing and reloading.

Yes, understand that like playing the drums your different body parts will be doing different things at different speeds. We subconsciously time things to finish all at once when we're doing two or three things at once. Often that causes one or more of the processes to slow down. Feet can move independent of hands and at different speeds and vice versus.

Going deep into a port or window is fine if it A. lets you keep your feet planted making it one shooting position versus two or three muddled together shuffling ones. and B. if you're able to shoot your way into and/or out of it.

Find match video of the same match of people who were decent bit better than you to compare and contrast what you've done. Knowing both your hits and times from their and your run. This gives you an idea of a near or possible goal/standard to meet. Ttthhheeennn look at the very best people to see what the ultimate possibility is and to get a good visual model to copy.

ps-I was 10th overall in Prod for this match, lots of A's but crap times. So if you want to compare notes about any specific stage I'd be happy to.

Thanks for the advice and the top 10 finish, especially when you know there's room to improve times. Comparing videos has been super helpful, just difficult to identify exactly where the time is being lost. 

Gives me the idea to analyze both my and some one better's video in an editing program to really break down the time lost in every part. Draw, transitions, double taps, reloads, movement, etc.

On stage 6 you could have placed three magazines on the left table and one on the right table. This lets you start the reload sooner when running left to right.

On stage 8 you could shave off at least a second by using knee pads.

On stage 13 you would have a standing reload even without that extra round. It might have been better to engage two targets on the right first rather than just one, then reload while running left.

If you were not bumped to open (equipment issues?), you'd get a solid B score in Production (and classification).

Edited by malobukov
Looked up results

16 hours ago, malobukov said:

On stage 6 you could have placed three magazines on the left table and one on the right table. This lets you start the reload sooner when running left to right.

On stage 8 you could shave off at least a second by using knee pads.

On stage 13 you would have a standing reload even without that extra round. It might have been better to engage two targets on the right first rather than just one, then reload while running left.

If you were not bumped to open (equipment issues?), you'd get a solid B score in Production (and classification).

Yes I did get bumped to Open, mag extensions too long, wouldn't fit the box. Still learning the rules, but not a big deal to me since I wasn't in the running for any division or class wins. 

Thank you for the planning tips, knee pads definitely would have helped sliding into that position and earlier on stage 2.

Stage 6 I didn't need to drop that mag when I ran from the left target array to get over to start the right set of targets. Still had 2 in my mag so I should have just shot those 2 and reloaded at the right table to get the last 10 targets. I put an exra mag on the table so I had some safety buffer, which turned out to be necessary.

First video - Stage planning - you want to shoot the two on the right and 3 through the port all on one mag. Reloading while standing in the port costs you 2+ seconds. 

Second video (well all of them, but you already mention this)- Your shooting of each array sounds like one two, one two, one two....instead of one two three four five fix. You are giving up probably 2 to 3 tenths transitioning between each target on this stage. Other than that your trigger speed seems fine. Solution is Blake drills

Stage 13 your plan was fine, you just have to realize in certain situations when you have no makeup shots to work with and plan ahead accordingly. 

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

First video - Stage planning - you want to shoot the two on the right and 3 through the port all on one mag. Reloading while standing in the port costs you 2+ seconds. 

Second video (well all of them, but you already mention this)- Your shooting of each array sounds like one two, one two, one two....instead of one two three four five fix. You are giving up probably 2 to 3 tenths transitioning between each target on this stage. Other than that your trigger speed seems fine. Solution is Blake drills

Stage 13 your plan was fine, you just have to realize in certain situations when you have no makeup shots to work with and plan ahead accordingly. 

Yeah, on Stage 1 I saw later that at the final position you could see 4 targets, allowing you to only shoot at 3 through the window. Need to think that when doing a standing(ish) reload is it ABSOLUTELY necessary with no good way to avoid it. 

Definitely agree I need transition work and had a brain fart on 13, thanks a lot for the tips!