Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video from Area 8 sectionals

UpYoursPal

Hey all.  I just did my first major match - the Area 8 championships.  It was a ton of fun, but it revealed some stuff that I really needed to work on.  I captured only a few stages from the match and I'd like to know what you all think.

Edited by UpYoursPal

Work on your transitions. even on the close targets it looked like you slammed the trigger twice, slowly moved to the next target aimed for a while and did it again.

Plan your reloads standing reloads waste a lot of time

You don't look comfortable at moving with a gun in and hand and look like your hunting for where to go next

Also work on your draw and moving reloads you lost a lot of time on both.

You're rushing a lot of shots. Not sure if it was nerves, but you would shoot from extremely unbalanced positions. I noticed it a lot more on the first stage in the video, but you had a tendency to shoot then settle your feet.

As others mentioned, the reloads were taken at a casual pace. You definitely could go a lot faster. Your accuracy seemed to be quite good (on steel anyways). While some draws were slow, it was a small drop in the whole thing. The standing reloads would be the easiest way to improve your score.

What's with all the standing reloads? Was it a failure to stick to the stage plan or was it just not planned?

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on your first Major.  I know how nerve racking it can be.  Just to echo some ideas here.  Really focus on your walk through and your visualization.  The standing reloads were a big time sink.  Make sure you are walking the stage in your head over and over until your time to shoot.  Know where your going, know where your feet are going to be and where your planning your reloads.  If your not shooting you should be moving. 

There were a few times were you ended up shooting from an awkward exaggerated foot forward position.  If you need to post up to shoot get a good solid base.  There was a time or two where you made up a shot at the last minute, with a big time gap between your last and next to last shot.  Sometimes its better, score wise, to let those go.  

@ 2:47 you took a second shot on the target blind.  You had already transitioned your head to the next target.  Work on that shot calling.  When doing target transitions snap your eyes to the center of the available scoring zone and the gun will follow.  

Grip the gun hard with your support hand.  really hard. 

Get yourself a good dry fire program going and you will get a lot of the low hanging fruit out of the way fast.  Have fun!