Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 degree offset optic

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I run a DPP 2.5 MOA on my gun in carry optics, and like it.

However, like the others said? I’d run a laser on my PCC if needed before I’d put a second dot on it.

I went as far as pulling out my credit card today to buy a Crimson Trace green laser for $100.  The Marine/friend behind the counter talked me out of it.......something like master the tactics and laser might fail......

I have used my lasers about 15 times in the last year:

• several times on hard left leans
  • once on a 4 target laydown array ( sucked the stock up over the top of my shoulder) a traditional sight picture would have been problematic with the bore offset and hardcover + No- Shoot placement with this array)
  • several times on tight to the wall through a window targets
  • I had one where I was able to stay back out of a window and shoot the first target from the stock on belt start with the laser and eliminate a position entry and exit 
  • several times on 3 yard or closer tight head shots ( only upper A and above exposed) as a secondary POI reference through my primary sight
  • a window driveby, never stopped for a sight picture just picked up the green on target and let 2 go
Edited by 2011BLDR

I have a green Crimson Trace laser on my MPX and I like it. But I agree that practicing a physical solution (plus laser) is something I would far rather do, and did versus running a 45 optic.

One thing I did was shoot a bunch of idpa matches with my pcc. They normally have tighter shots and more forced leans. The first three matches I shot almost every barrel on every stage.

So I had to adapt and really learn to understand the adage "The sight sees it, but does the barrel see it?"

Guess, check and refine for a few hours in a bay will give you all the empirical evidence you need to figure out what works for you, your eyes, your body and your gun.

23 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It’s a GAME.

Use the easy thing that lets you win. ;) 

Agree 100%. Lasers? Multiple optics? Whatever works... ESPECIALLY on a PCC. It's a hot-rod, not a HMMWV.

5 hours ago, JWil said:

I dont run a 45* optic, but saw that PA has the Warne 45's, that were mentioned earlier in the thread, on sale for $32.49 and figured it was worth posting in case anyone wants one.

Warne Scope Mounts Picatinny Side Mount Adapter - 45-degree

Also have the 5 other colors on sale too

I actually just did exactly that. They also have a decent price on some old Burris FastFire 2's that I assume they're trying to clear out - figure that's a good enough setup for playing around with to see if it works.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:22 PM, Neomet said:

If you can actually see the laser.  Bright desert sun, old eyes.....   not so much.  ?

The green lasers are supposed to be much better than the red lasers - I can't see

my red laser in direct sunlight past 5 yards, but I hear the green ones are visible

a lot further    :) 

I love my laser. I too resisted thinking it was too 'gamey'.... well, guess what, this IS a game. I use my laser FREQUENTLY. 

Examples from last weekend (outdoors, sunny):

- Start next to port. 2 targets inside hip level port. On start I shimmied over, looked at targets w/ stock still on belt, 4 A's. Transition to shoulder on the way to next array. 

- Classifier 99-48: Start stock on belt, laser on, pointed at closest target. Buzzer *pop pop* from hip, then transition to shoulder AS I'm swinging to 2nd target.

That said, I'm only (currently) a 'B' class shooter, so eh. I turn the laser on and whatever I pick up first, I go with. Green dot = laser, red dot = sight. It's highly visible. If you're a natural pointer (I come from a shotgun background) then you're generally going to be 'on paper' and not have to hunt for it. 

On 8/29/2018 at 4:46 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: learn to use a laser. You can even shoot it from the hip on low ports. Thanks, Eric

I added a laser to my USPSA PCC for hard leans and off hand shots.  I have even shot if from the hip at the start signal pointing the laser at the first target.  You can reach the PCC around a wall or barricade and clearly see the laser faster than trying to get to the optic on a 45 mount.

I run a Venom on a Warne offset mount. At locals I might use it once but at majors its def saved me a little time instead of switching shoulders. Generally though the same hard leans I use it for I could probably just use my primary optic and fall out of fault lines. The offset dot just helps to get those alphas!  Took me a day of practice to feel confident when I turned the gun the dot would be there. I zeroed the same as my primary so I don't have to think about different hold overs. Good luck  

f1pcc2.thumb.jpg.59c9b4ebde51a96c9544f38dde399ce8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Funny this topic came up..... I have a Truglo 45* offset mount being delivered tomorrow.

I bought a Vortex Viper for a carry optics gun for next year, but for now it will be the 45* dot on the PCC gun, we will evaluate after the season is over.

I was a switch to weak side guy up until now. It was TOO SLOW !

The other problem is as someone who shoots everything two eyes open, I had to close my right eye ( dominant) to see the damn dot on the left side. No clue why, but it really sucks when you forget to close the one eye, waste time looking for the dot, then remember.

The Truglo mount is 25$ and I had the dot, why not !

If anyone is wondering why the Truglo it's because the other ones I found mounted the dot higher, like the Warne in this thread. I was afraid it would interfere with my other optic.

16 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

If anyone is wondering why the Truglo it's because the other ones I found mounted the dot higher, like the Warne in this thread. I was afraid it would interfere with my other optic.

I think you'll find the TruGlo will be very similar to the Warne.  It's the GG&G mount shown in this thread holds the rail section much higher.

9 hours ago, JAFO said:

I think you'll find the TruGlo will be very similar to the Warne.  It's the GG&G mount shown in this thread holds the rail section much higher.

Got it ! The Truglo looked like it was pretty decently made and it was about half the cost of some of the other name ones you have heard of.

One question, I was going to mount the offset dot behind the other optic. I see from the picture posted on here that fellow did his the other way. Is there any right/wrong way, better way or it doesn't really matter as long as you can hit something with it ?

Edited by SJMPCC022
punctuation
20 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

Got it ! The Truglo looked like it was pretty decently made and it was about half the cost of some of the other name ones you have heard of.

One question, I was going to mount the offset dot behind the other optic. I see from the picture posted on here that fellow did his the other way. Is there any right/wrong way, better way or it doesn't really matter as long as you can hit something with it ?

I mounted mine ahead of my primary dot because I like the primary towards the rear.  It ended up out on the handguard in order to avoid the ejection port.  Grady's picture above shows he has his primary over the ejection port and his offset behind it.  It's mainly just personal preference as long as you avoid interfering with ejection.

7 hours ago, edwin garcia said:

Lefty setup on my MPX. HS 503 primary with HS - 507 offset(left).

I haven't shot it yet but I like the 507 35moa circle already compared to the 65 in moa in 503.

I also like the 510 but 503 seems to meet my needs. Hoping to get results from 507 in coming weeks, weather permitting

Nice, and great info, much appreciated.

One question to you........................... My primary optic right now is a Bushnell TR25, the offset is( will be when I put it on this weekend) a Vortex Viper. I will be replacing the Bushnell this winter, with either a C More Railway or a Holosun 510C.

How do you like the Holosun, weight wise? The 510C is 13oz, almost a pound. The C More is 5 or 6 oz's. I purposely built this gun as light as possible, no tactical reason, I just wanted to see how light I could build it.

Mounting a just shy of a pound dot on it would go against everything I did when I built it, so I am leaning toward the C More, unless you un convince me .

Edited by SJMPCC022
content
21 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

Nice, and great info, much appreciated.

One question to you........................... My primary optic right now is a Bushnell TR25, the offset is( will be when I put it on this weekend) a Vortex Viper. I will be replacing the Bushnell this winter, with either a C More Railway or a Holosun 510C.

How do you like the Holosun, weight wise? The 510C is 13oz, almost a pound. The C More is 5 or 6 oz's. I purposely built this gun as light as possible, no tactical reason, I just wanted to see how light I could build it.

Mounting a just shy of a pound dot on it would go against everything I did when I built it, so I am leaning toward the C More, unless you un convince me .

510 does weigh heavy (8.3 oz per website specs), especially if you are leaning towards lighter setup. 503 is at 4.3 oz. Some would argue weight distribution and balance is more important. Nonetheless, it's easier to tweak your setup when you have lesser weight to mess with. C-more is tried and tested, reliable and familiar. I would switch to a smaller dot (4-6 moa) if possible. 

One consideration is if you go to matches where you expect to shoot in a low sun angle, you are at risk of sun burst effect. Over the years, I had to deal with it with c-more (slideride, rts,rts3). I've also encountered it in 510c. The 503 doesn't seem to have this issue, probably because of the tube(?). 

For now 503 is the primary for me, my 510 is mounted in my backup. Just like everyone else, I will still be on the hunt for the 'optimum' optic.

Hope this helps..