Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 degree offset optic

So, I went through about 5 pages and didn't find what I'm looking for.  With a whole 1.5 PCC matches under my belt, I can already see a need to address hard lean targets around barricades/walls on your weak hand side.  It would obviously be cheaper, and maybe all around better to master switching shoulders, but I have an eye injury that severely limits vertical movement in my right eye.  So, it is doable, but very awkward to use my right eye.

So, is an offset optic really needed?  How many of you use one?  Will folks setting up traditional pistol matches ever get over the PCC craze and set up carbine friendly stages?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

So, I went through about 5 pages and didn't find what I'm looking for.  With a whole 1.5 PCC matches under my belt, I can already see a need to address hard lean targets around barricades/walls on your weak hand side.  It would obviously be cheaper, and maybe all around better to master switching shoulders, but I have an eye injury that severely limits vertical movement in my right eye.  So, it is doable, but very awkward to use my right eye.

So, is an offset optic really needed?  How many of you use one?  Will folks setting up traditional pistol matches ever get over the PCC craze and set up carbine friendly stages?

I also use a Vortex Razor on an offset. Coming from open, I realized my holdover isn't as bad as my open gun (bad meaning not much). Honestly, I use it ten yards and in for spray and pray. 

23 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I've never seen the need for one in USPSA.  There are some tough weak side leans at times, but these can be negotiated with the following techniques. (eye problem not withstanding). 

1. Go weak hand, weak shoulder.  Sucks

2. Go weak shoulder, strong hand.  Pull your off hand to the magwell.  Less sucky

3. Stay strong shoulder, and pull your off hand to the magwell.  You will gain a few inches.  Preferred

4. Go sideways and just turn your head.

5. Try using a laser and practice holding the gun off your shoulder for the shot.  Hokey, but can be used on short distance leans.  I just shove my muzzle around the wall.

#2 and #3 and #4 will get you far.

Far be it from me to suggest not buying more toys though!  However, I don't think an offset optic will solve really tough leans.

1 minute ago, longbeard said:

I've never seen the need for one in USPSA.  There are some tough weak side leans at times, but these can be negotiated with the following techniques. (eye problem not withstanding). 

1. Go weak hand, weak shoulder.  Sucks

2. Go weak shoulder, strong hand.  Pull your off hand to the magwell.  Less sucky

3. Stay strong shoulder, and pull your off hand to the magwell.  You will gain a few inches.  Preferred

4. Go sideways and just turn your head.

5. Try using a laser and practice holding the gun off your shoulder for the shot.  Hokey, but can be used on short distance leans.  I just shove my muzzle around the wall.

#2 and #3 and #4 will get you far.

Far be it from me to suggest not buying more toys though!  However, I don't think an offset optic will solve really tough leans.

Nice response.  #4 is just what happened naturally last weekend.  

1 minute ago, RangerTrace said:

Nice response.  #4 is just what happened naturally last weekend.  

Leans are tough, and they will burn you if you don't plan for them.  Many is the time I thought.  "I can make it", only to find I in fact could not make it! OR to see wood flying as I shoot through a wall.  Now I walk leans on stages holding my strong arm extended with my offhand like it's a muzzle.  It's not a prop, so it's legal per USPSA.  Helps somewhat in gauging the situation.

Have fun!

I did hit one steel wall frame last weekend.  The bullet landed softly on the RO's shoulder thankfully!!  I just went and tried this in my hallway.  #2 will actually work for me, even with the jacked up eye, as long as the stock in set up short.   #3, as you stated, gives you a couple more inches......most would kill for a couple more, right?

I think Josh F pioneered the offset sight on PCC as a training tool for his 3-gun rifle. 

The beauty of PCC is you can have as many sights you want.  I have a C-more Railway on top and a Crimson Trace laser mounted just ahead of it.

I experimented with a Burris FF3 mounted in a 45 degree offset.  Initially I used an 8 MOA dot. For hard leans it just did not help me.  As long as the targets were close, the laser was a better choice.  But then that might just be me.

I also tried a 3 MOA dot sighted in at 30 yards.  The plan was to use the offset on targets further out that required tight shots and the C-more dot was a little too large.  This worked well but the local matches I shoot rarely required it.

I have had better luck with using the ecotec or UH-1 holographic  sights I can slide the retical off in to the edge or corner of the window  easier than using a 45 deg offset.. but I do have a CMR206 @12 O'clock  also 

K

I am in the process of adding a 45 degree sight to my pcc. For hard leans i have been just switching to weak side. Not really an issue so far. I can see that it could be useful from time to time. I am thinking a 25 yd zero on it. Running a razor as my main dot, but looking at a venom for the side. 

I have a 6MOA Venom on a Warne offset, set just in front of the ejection port.  I am not the "tall, lean, can easily around the left side wall" type.  Before I got the offset dot, I would transfer completely to the weak side if I had the movement space to do it (and transfer back) on the move.  Going weak shoulder, strong hand with my primary dot didn't work well for me, but the 45-degree offset makes it much easier.  I have also used the offset mount on a small, high port with low targets when my primary dot was too high to see because of my riser.  In retrospect on the last instance, I may have been able to point shoot it, but a no-shoot was involved.  I think a lot of it is your body dimensions.  Some guys have no problems just using the primary dot on those leans.  I borrowed an offset mount, slapped a cheap dot from a .22 on it, and tried corners at the house, and saw that there was a benefit for me.

ATR_1771.jpg

Edited by JAFO

You don’t need it until you need it Yogi-ism. 

Of of course you could transfer to weak side and shoot but that is usually slower. It definitely helps with the range you can see and for really hard leans you can keep strong hand on trigger and stock on weak shoulder, I usually go to weak eye for the toughest of leans. And it helps to shorten up the stock a bit. 

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

One (possibly minor) issue is that it's a bottom-load battery compartment, so you'd have to unmount it to change the battery, then check your zero when you remount it.

That would not be fun.  I'll have to research which one's don't......

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Deltapoint pro is also top load.

Yeah, I just looked at one in person.  Feels like a quality piece.  What would be a good mount to put it at 45 on the left side of the rifle?  And this assumes the knob on my Aimpoint PRO mount doesn't complete block my view.

4 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Yeah, I just looked at one in person.  Feels like a quality piece.  What would be a good mount to put it at 45 on the left side of the rifle?  And this assumes the knob on my Aimpoint PRO mount doesn't complete block my view.

Offset mounts should be ambidextrous, but some hold the sight higher in relation to the top rail than others.  The GG&G mount, for example, holds the sight higher than the Warne.  Which one you pick may be determined by what fits with your primary dot and how your eye lines up.

GG_G_offset_mount.jpg

Warne_offset_mount.jpg

27 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Yeah, I just looked at one in person.  Feels like a quality piece.  What would be a good mount to put it at 45 on the left side of the rifle? 

I run a DPP 2.5 MOA on my gun in carry optics, and like it.

However, like the others said? I’d run a laser on my PCC if needed before I’d put a second dot on it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
34 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: learn to use a laser. You can even shoot it from the hip on low ports. Thanks, Eric

If you can actually see the laser.  Bright desert sun, old eyes.....   not so much.  ?