Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TG vs Sport Pistol vs CFE-P, Vs Clean shot smoke test

evild

8 hours ago, evild said:

All the same in my opinion.

Til you run them through a comp. Coated bullets make a mess of a compensator with any powder, but the leading does build up noticeably faster with Titegroup than with other powders.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 8/30/2018 at 7:28 PM, armedmoose said:

Thanks for posting this .. it squashed my thoughts of switching powders around, but now just going to finish my 8lb jug of CFE-P.

Try for your self tho, this was just 1 aspect of it, you may like thecway the others feel or meter or consistancy...

I find Sport Pistol and CleanShot to be virtually interchangeable. Loads, felt recoil and smoke nearly identical. 

Will take either of them over TG any day (feels nicer, shoots cleaner). 

I've only loaded about 500 rounds of CFE (impulse buy). It's ok. Like it better than TG. Would certainly load CFE in a pinch. 

On 9/1/2018 at 8:08 AM, evild said:

Try for your self tho, this was just 1 aspect of it, you may like thecway the others feel or meter or consistancy...

100%. but I have too many lbs of different powders..  I should get thru this 8 LBS of CFE-P during this winters reloading session...

I'll try sport pistol in the near future for "feeling"...

On 8/30/2018 at 6:28 PM, armedmoose said:

Thanks for posting this .. it squashed my thoughts of switching powders around, but now just going to finish my 8lb jug of CFE-P.

Do that. When guys talk about improved feeling it’s just that. Sensation. The sights aren’t magically tracking better, and you’re not missing out on a bump to ____ class just because you aren’t using the powder of the week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2018 at 12:46 PM, mauk517 said:

Do you guys prefer SP vs TG? They say its less smokey

I found SP runs much cooler and quiet a bit cleaner than TG.  With coated I definitely prefer it but now that I've started using FMJ/plated again I will go back to TG just because it's easy to find locally.

On 9/20/2018 at 2:46 PM, mauk517 said:

Do you guys prefer SP vs TG? They say its less smokey

SNS 147 coated, 3.0 TG versus 3.2 SP , Tanfoglio stock 2 & 3.

Have run maybe 20-30 k ish rounds with titegroup & 2k ish rounds with SP.

SP is probably cleaner but it really does not make any difference as I lube the top end before either gets dirty enough to cause a problem & wipe things down while I'm at it. Possibly with SP I will not need to clean around the extractor every 5K rounds or so? Unknown yet. 

Smoke, no issues for me either way.

Metering, great versus great. 

Accuracy, do not have a ransom rest, do not see that one is better than the other within the limits of my group shooting ability.

Recoil, can not see any difference on the timer, think I prefer TG by feel but that is likely because I have shot so many more of them. 

Conclusion, for me & for my particular load recipe and gun either one seems fine. Not sure which one I will buy when I next run low on powder.

I only shot about 1K of Titegroup behind coated bullets before I switched to SportPistol.  I switched because of the positive reports I read on this forum.  One of the major factors is Alliant's claim that SP doesn't melt the coating on bullets.  I haven't tested TG to see if it actually does.  I agree w/NWfront.  I think it runs cooler and lower pressure.  I think it shoots softer than TG for the same power factor.  I just bought 4# from Graf's as they had it at 10% off.

14 hours ago, mauk517 said:

sounds lie a pretty equal powder but how much cheaper is SP?

Without doing a long haired calculation, not enough to be a deciding factor. Both are priced fair, you will use just a smidge less TG to get the same power factor. 

14 hours ago, LaPoint said:

One of the major factors is Alliant's claim that SP doesn't melt the coating on bullets.  I haven't tested TG to see if it actually does.  I agree w/NWfront.  I think it runs cooler and lower pressure.  I think it shoots softer than TG for the same power factor. 

I agree with all of the above, but like everything I think it depends on the details. For my use (9mm 130 pf in Tanfo stock 2) , melting is not an issue, temperature is not an issue, pressure is not an issue and the recoil is a personal preference thing sort of like comparing shooting a 135 to a 147. For revolver where I need to push a bit harder I think I would choose SP, else I will go back to TG I think, just prefer the way it feels. 

Unscientific clean burning test - just had a ftf after about 600 rounds of SP, pretty much the same as I got with TG, will stay with the same cleaning schedule (300 rounds or when the mood strikes me) for either.