Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P CORE

Drillbit

I realize the whole idea of the CORE is the optic, but does anyone shoot it without the optic?  

And, does the ability to co-witness make finding the dot faster?

I have had a hell of a time finding the dot again after moving. 

I've had my 9L Pro Core for years, and never mounted an optic.  I've replaced virtually all of the parts possible on it, but I love it (now).  I got the core for the option for adding an optic later if I felt like it.  If I were to do it again, I would've just bought a regular 9L and saved the $$.  But, whatever.

The only downside to the core is if you want to replace the sights on it.  The rear sight is different than the rest of the M&P line, and you have to find a company who makes a rear sight that fits.  Dawson Precision makes them, and if I remember right, there was 1 other company...  Also, last I checked, Trijicon was making some, but they weren't released yet - they might be out now.  I bought the dawson fiber optic ones for mine - love them.

Edited by Snausages32

I have the Performance center 9L and it has the Shield mini sight on it ( 8moa)

that sight co witnesses really easily with the suppressor sights on there.

Initially when I first switched to CO I used to use the front sight to find the dot but now

several thousand rounds later, I've trained my self to focus on the target...and the dot just appears,

I don't even look for the front sight anymore unless I can't find the dot which is becoming less and less 

frequent the more I practice drawing and finding that first shot.

I've found co-witnessing sights are a distraction.  If you want speed and are having a difficult time finding the dot the only way to solve the problem is to draw and dry fire until you don't have to search for the dot.  It will take a while, but anything else is a crutch and nobody wins a race with a crutch.

I've had a Core since they came out in 2013 (I think, maybe 2014) I've had a Deltapoint on it the whole time, I don't even see the sights anymore (and the dot has never quit working, so having co-witnessed sights is overrated in my opinion)

On 8/30/2018 at 9:09 AM, kmanick said:

I have the Performance center 9L and it has the Shield mini sight on it ( 8moa)

that sight co witnesses really easily with the suppressor sights on there.

Initially when I first switched to CO I used to use the front sight to find the dot but now

several thousand rounds later, I've trained my self to focus on the target...and the dot just appears,

I don't even look for the front sight anymore unless I can't find the dot which is becoming less and less 

frequent the more I practice drawing and finding that first shot.

How does it qualify for CO?  Don't the holes in the barrel disqualify it?

42 minutes ago, Andyk said:

How does it qualify for CO?  Don't the holes in the barrel disqualify it?

If its the core ported then yes.. it moves you to open .  no ports = CO 

On mine, i run the optic and no irons.. i feel they are distraction to me.

I have 2 barrels.. fitted APEX quad ported for steel challenge and open minor

and a non ported barrel for CO.. also have to remove magwell

I have also since swapped from RMR to Vortex Viper red dot. 

openM&P.jpg

I have also since swapped from RMR to Vortex Viper red dot. 

Why did you change to the Vortex? I took my RMR off because I just could not get used to the RMR’s red dot and the size of the glass.

Is the Vortex an improvement over the RMR?

2 hours ago, ramnj said:

Why did you change to the Vortex? I took my RMR off because I just could not get used to the RMR’s red dot and the size of the glass.

Is the Vortex an improvement over the RMR?

The sight window is better for me. The rmr seemed to some slight magnification to my eyes.. and the vortex just looks better 

Got mine with the Shield RMS 8 MOA dot. It looks like it belongs in the gun, though the small glass takes some practice to get used to.

I have Dawson's low sights which will co-witness at the bottom of the glass, but not anywhere the middle. Works for me cause co-witness on a game gun is a waste of time. 

I have a Delta point Pro I was going to install on the gun, but I like the RMS so I haven't bothered changing it.

I only wish Shield used better glass. 

When I fired a 4.25" CORE against a 5" M&P 2.0 FDE in indoor conditions, I got better results with the core. Must be to do with the height of the iron sights, with less distraction from the slide.

That said, the triggers of the two guns felt identical. Am still working out which one to buy.

On 9/14/2018 at 8:00 PM, robertg5322 said:

Got mine with the Shield RMS 8 MOA dot. It looks like it belongs in the gun, though the small glass takes some practice to get used to.

I have Dawson's low sights which will co-witness at the bottom of the glass, but not anywhere the middle. Works for me cause co-witness on a game gun is a waste of time. 

I have a Delta point Pro I was going to install on the gun, but I like the RMS so I haven't bothered changing it.

I only wish Shield used better glass. 

shield uses plastic not glass :( I have an 8MOA on my PC 9L. Holds zero great and is easy to find , but the lens is getting "foggy"

I don't really notice it when I'm shooting , but if I hold it up to a light? wow............looks terrible. unclean able at this point (cleaning makes no difference)

7 minutes ago, kmanick said:

shield uses plastic not glass :( I have an 8MOA on my PC 9L. Holds zero great and is easy to find , but the lens is getting "foggy"

I don't really notice it when I'm shooting , but if I hold it up to a light? wow............looks terrible. unclean able at this point (cleaning makes no difference)

I was using the term "glass" in the general sense. I wish it was glass, it's probably stay clear longer.

All of what you said, it's foggy, not noticed when shooting and dot is nice, round, bright ball. Not so bright that it starburst, but bright enough that it is clearly visible to my color-blind eyes in all conditions. Good battery life and sits nice and low in the gun.