Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dedicated PCC load

On 8/27/2018 at 3:54 PM, mitommy said:

Whar’s your load for 115s?

i’m thinking of switching to 115 (Berry’s) . The recommendation I was given was 4.3gr of TiteGroup, Winchester SPP, 1.15 OAL 

I've been using 4.1 grains of Vectan Ba 9.5; 115 gr Precision Delta FMJ at about 1.125 oal.  Haven't chronoed yet but it should be about 135-138 pf.  This powder leaves sand like s#!t everywhere in the action.  Tired of the mess.  Bought this powder cause it was cheap at PV.  I've given up and going to work up a load with N320. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, blaster113 said:

I've given up and going to work up a load with N320. 

You can't go wrong with any of the VV powders, a bit pricey but great!

115gr.........3.0 Clays

3.5 Universal

4.2 Power Pistol

All run around 1100fps out of MY gun, I would chrono for yours. If it was for a major match, I would up all just a touch.

On 8/27/2018 at 9:58 PM, S&W686 said:

This is my load data for my GMR-15:  This has worked well for me.

124gr Precision Delta

4.1gr VV N320

C.O.L - 1.125

124gt MG HP

4.0 VVN32

COL 1.155

no problem making PF and very clean

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 9:45 PM, chevrofreak said:

You aren't going to find pressure issues with Power Pistol unless you go looking for it.  I have loaded 8.8gr under a 115gr JHP for 9major and barely saw anything on the primers.  That load was a completely full case.   I have had far more problems with HS6 and WAC.  I have blown primers using common 9major load levels with both of those powders.

I bet your 4.0gr load is a little on the weak side, around 1040fps, which would be fine for steel if reliable.   Using simple math a 4.3-4.4gr load with a 115 will make about 126.5 to 131.5 PF.  If you get some bad extreme spreads, try seating your bullet deeper to reduce combustion irregularities. 

My next bullet will b a 124 or 125 gr RN. Do you have any Power Pistol data? Default will be same as 115gr.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:19 AM, chevrofreak said:

If all you are changing is weight, 3.9gr should get you a nearly identical power factor as your 4.2/115 load.

My thoughts exactly, 9or 10gr in bullet weight shouldn't change much.

Thanks for the heads up on PP powder, I really like it!

I have a match today, going to try the 115gr load with Power Pistol.

Edited by SJMPCC022
content

For those shooting round nose and not getting the accuracy you might desire, try hollow point. I don't know what it is in PCC guns but more than one gun that I know shoots much more accurate with HP bullets than RN of the same bullet weight.

You aren't going to find pressure issues with Power Pistol unless you go looking for it.  I have loaded 8.8gr under a 115gr JHP for 9major and barely saw anything on the primers.  That load was a completely full case.   I have had far more problems with HS6 and WAC.  I have blown primers using common 9major load levels with both of those powders.

Not to derail the subject, but I’m looking for a 9major load for my M&P9 open gun. I ended up with a pound of Power Pistol, Winchester AutoComp and HS-6 to try. I tried 6.8gr WAC with a MG 124gr JHP and I was getting too much muzzle flip with a 16# spring. I went up to 7.2gr and a 19# spring and it worked the comp much better with the extra gas, but needs a little more to completely flatten out. The idea of going to 7.3 or more is a bit scary so I was interested in your recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
13 hours ago, 1911luvr said:

Not to derail the subject, but I’m looking for a 9major load for my M&P9 open gun. I ended up with a pound of Power Pistol, Winchester AutoComp and HS-6 to try. I tried 6.8gr WAC with a MG 124gr JHP and I was getting too much muzzle flip with a 16# spring. I went up to 7.2gr and a 19# spring and it worked the comp much better with the extra gas, but needs a little more to completely flatten out. The idea of going to 7.3 or more is a bit scary so I was interested in your recipe.

It worked, but is far from my favorite. 

With your powders listed, if 6.8 WAC made major (it did for me as well) then 7.8 of HS-6 under the same 124 should work.  If you can, get some Silhouette and try 7.6-7.7gr.  Silhouette is my favorite 9major powder, but I pretty much exclusively run 115's.  AA7 at 9.5-9.7 or 3N38 at 8.7-8.8 are also very nice. 

It worked, but is far from my favorite. 

With your powders listed, if 6.8 WAC made major (it did for me as well) then 7.8 of HS-6 under the same 124 should work.  If you can, get some Silhouette and try 7.6-7.7gr.  Silhouette is my favorite 9major powder, but I pretty much exclusively run 115's.  AA7 at 9.5-9.7 or 3N38 at 8.7-8.8 are also very nice. 

I have some Silhouette that was given to me, but never used it. I didn’t know it was good for 9 major. 6.8gr WAC makes 167 PF in my M&P open top end. I didn’t get to chrono the 7.2gr. I’m trying to find something that has enough gas to really work the comp this gun. The 7.2 WAC shot much flatter than a 6.8, which had me thinking if I could just get a little bit more in there it would be perfect. But I know that’s pushing WAC. I’m going to try that load with silhouette next and see how it does. Thank you very much!

2 hours ago, 1911luvr said:

I have some Silhouette that was given to me, but never used it. I didn’t know it was good for 9 major. 6.8gr WAC makes 167 PF in my M&P open top end. I didn’t get to chrono the 7.2gr. I’m trying to find something that has enough gas to really work the comp this gun. The 7.2 WAC shot much flatter than a 6.8, which had me thinking if I could just get a little bit more in there it would be perfect. But I know that’s pushing WAC. I’m going to try that load with silhouette next and see how it does. Thank you very much!

In a light gun like your M&P you will likely be better off switching to 115's and more powder to get the comp working.  My go-to load is 8.3gr of Silhouette under a 115jhp.  It shows less pressure than HS-6 or WAC do at the same PF. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/28/2018 at 3:49 PM, sschultz said:

I've been using 5grs of CFE pistol don't see many people using it am I not using the right powder.

cfe is great powder, keeps things nice and clean. It’s all I use for my USPSA loads. Just getting into the pcc game with a 16” barrel Ar setup, gonna run 124 grain extreme bullets with cfe. 

Edited by Ranricht2
On 10/23/2018 at 2:47 AM, joelpend said:

For those shooting round nose and not getting the accuracy you might desire, try hollow point. I don't know what it is in PCC guns but more than one gun that I know shoots much more accurate with HP bullets than RN of the same bullet weight.

This is my experience also, not only in PCC but with handguns also. I've yet to find a RN bullet that holds good accuracy in my 9x19 hand loads. HP, FP and TC type bullets all groups better for me. However, the Geco 124 gr factory load is generally very accurate for me, especially in my PCC. I don't know if RN bullets are harder to get straight for the bullet seater or what the problem might be.

Edited by mrd