Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dedicated PCC load

21 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

I love my all purpose load of 5.5gr Power Pistol under a plated 115 out of my PCC's. 

I tried your load with Power Pistol tonight. I dropped it down to 5.0gr though, I'm glad I did. Three rounds, break, three more rounds, average just a bit over 1300fps, a bit stout for my taste. I loaded 8 more with 4.0gr, next chance I get I will test again and report back.

Thanks for the heads up though, I couldn't find s**t for data loading that powder with a 9mm. The 5.0gr load showed no pressure issues, just too fast for me. I think the 4.0gr load may work quite well !

10 hours ago, gerritm said:

I have tried Blue Bullets and SNS Casting & both loaded up my comp with lead. Plated are accurate & clean, no leading.

9 hours ago, NateTSU said:

prefer the 124gr bullet. My current load is a 124 RN SNS coated bullet with 3.7gr of TG. I like the snappy recoil impulse lower charges make the gun feel sluggish. I will be switching to a plated bullet though because I am having a problem with leading

I use Xtreme plated bullets only! ( unless I were to get something else for free).

A good friend of mine has a plastic 35 gal barrel in his basement full of cut up pieces of tires. He uses it for testing loads out and being able to recapture the bullet for analysis. He says the plated bullets do real well in this environment but the SNS or other coated bullets always lose much of the coating.

FWIW

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, SJMPCC022 said:

I tried your load with Power Pistol tonight. I dropped it down to 5.0gr though, I'm glad I did. Three rounds, break, three more rounds, average just a bit over 1300fps, a bit stout for my taste. I loaded 8 more with 4.0gr, next chance I get I will test again and report back.

Thanks for the heads up though, I couldn't find s**t for data loading that powder with a 9mm. The 5.0gr load showed no pressure issues, just too fast for me. I think the 4.0gr load may work quite well !

I use Xtreme plated bullets only! ( unless I were to get something else for free).

A good friend of mine has a plastic 35 gal barrel in his basement full of cut up pieces of tires. He uses it for testing loads out and being able to recapture the bullet for analysis. He says the plated bullets do real well in this environment but the SNS or other coated bullets always lose much of the coating.

FWIW

You aren't going to find pressure issues with Power Pistol unless you go looking for it.  I have loaded 8.8gr under a 115gr JHP for 9major and barely saw anything on the primers.  That load was a completely full case.   I have had far more problems with HS6 and WAC.  I have blown primers using common 9major load levels with both of those powders.

I bet your 4.0gr load is a little on the weak side, around 1040fps, which would be fine for steel if reliable.   Using simple math a 4.3-4.4gr load with a 115 will make about 126.5 to 131.5 PF.  If you get some bad extreme spreads, try seating your bullet deeper to reduce combustion irregularities. 

9 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

bet your 4.0gr load is a little on the weak side, around 1040fps, which would be fine for steel if reliable.   Using simple math a 4.3-4.4gr load with a 115 will make about 126.5 to 131.5 PF.  If you get some bad extreme spreads, try seating your bullet deeper to reduce combustion irregularities. 

I was guessing at 4.0gr. What you say makes much sense and I will whip up a few at 4.4gr.

The bullet depth makes sense also...........I do find some spikes in different loads from time to time. The 115gr bullet is short and I have been loading to 1.125 OAL. I originally came up with that length loading 147gr bullets, and they fed real nice in a gun with no feed ramp, so I left it alone. Those may actually have been 1.150 OAL ?

Since then I added a feed ramp, ( courtesy of my Dremel and a pic that Max posted here of his barrel extension) so I wouldn't think a 1.100 OAL would bother the feeding at all. 

Edited by SJMPCC022
space

I tried the one load for all also and gave up

i settled on 4 gr of w231 for all my 9mm loads and just changed the bullet weights

115 blue bullets, 135 PF thru my pcc

124 blue bullets, barely minor thru my production gun

135 blue bullets, 135 PF thru my prod. and SS guns

I haven’t noticed any leading problems using the blue bullets in my pcc and use the same bullets for my open gun with no problem

19 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Having to change your powder drop when you switch between your pistol load and PCC load.

I see said the blind man.

Never thought it was that big a deal but I load in 6,000 to 10,000 round runs.

5 minutes ago, hitman said:

I see said the blind man.

Never thought it was that big a deal but I load in 6,000 to 10,000 round runs.

I'll be lucky if I shoot 10,000 total this year.   Heck, most I've ever shot is around 15k back when I was really trying.  I found a couple boxes of 124 grain Lawman at the office.  I'm going to give them a try at tonight match.  I know they are hotter than what I need, but it should give me an idea,

I shoot Berrys 147’s with 3.1 grains of titegroup, loaded to 1.130 and make 138pf with the MBX barrel, I also use the same load for my CZ TS and make 130pf in the CZ. I use these rounds for USPSA and 3 Gun, it’s great only having to load up 1 round that works very well in multiple firearms.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:45 PM, chevrofreak said:

I bet your 4.0gr load is a little on the weak side, around 1040fps, which would be fine for steel if reliable.   Using simple math a 4.3-4.4gr load with a 115 will make about 126.5 to 131.5 PF.  If you get some bad extreme spreads, try seating your bullet deeper to reduce combustion irregularities.

Nice job Svengali !

The 4.0gr load average( I only loaded 4 rds) was 1060fps !

The 4.4gr load average was 1150fps !

Nice work! When I get time I will make a few at 4.2gr  and tell you they averaged 1115 fps, which would be perfect !

I liked the Power Pistol, I could tell no difference between the three loads I mentioned in this thread and this one. I have 2# of IMR 4756 to use up then the Power Pistol is next, although once I get it dialed in I will load enough for one match to really try it out.

Even though it was only 4 rds, the 4.4 gr load didn't deviate any more than 15pfs or so, very impressive!

So, my first mag of the match was loaded with about 20 of the Factory Lawman 124 grain ammo, followed by my reloads.  I have no idea what the Lawman is running, but the dot was all over the place.  If I had to choose between Lawman and my 147 BBI load, I'd stick with what I have.

I would guess that the 124 loaded with N320 to 130ish PF would be pretty nice and hopefully better than my 147 load, because I'm getting enough dot movement, that I don't feel confident just seeing the dot and banging the trigger twice.  It's nothing like a widebody 9major open gun for sure, which is more like I was expecting.

52 minutes ago, SJMPCC022 said:

Nice job Svengali !

The 4.0gr load average( I only loaded 4 rds) was 1060fps !

The 4.4gr load average was 1150fps !

Nice work! When I get time I will make a few at 4.2gr  and tell you they averaged 1115 fps, which would be perfect !

I liked the Power Pistol, I could tell no difference between the three loads I mentioned in this thread and this one. I have 2# of IMR 4756 to use up then the Power Pistol is next, although once I get it dialed in I will load enough for one match to really try it out.

Even though it was only 4 rds, the 4.4 gr load didn't deviate any more than 15pfs or so, very impressive!

Power Pistol truly is one of my favorite powders.  It is fairly linear and easy to predict velocity until you start loading 9major with it, as you enter an area of diminishing returns. 

Hornady recommends it as their powder of choice for 9mm.

I fell into a great deal on a case of Montana Gold 124 grain FMJs today.  Went to the range with 3.3, 3.6, 3.8 and 4.0 grains of N320.  I didn't adjust my seating die, so the OAL is 1.161".  Even at 4.0 grains, the average velocity was just under 1000 with 2 of 10 squeaking over 1000.  They felt really nice though and I was able to knock out some doubles practice on steel while I was there.  Gotta figure out how to put the large safety lever on the right side of the gun.  in less than 200 rounds I got a nasty blood blister at the base of my trigger finger!!

The 3.3 grain was down in the mid 800s, felt great and cycled the bolt perfectly.  Might be a nice steel load.....

Chrono'd the 4.3 grain/ 124 grain MG FMJ load today and averaged 1077 FPS.  Felt pretty nice too.  I did a little bit of testing doubles at 12-13 yards.  If I put the dot in the A zone and hammer the trigger twice, both rounds will stay in the A zone, but they aren't as close together as I'd like.  Now it's time to load some bullets and practice.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, SJMPCC022 said:

Now that we are back from our Labor Day camping and trapshooting weekend, it is back to business !

I did chrono 5 rounds with 4.2 of Power Pistol and they were all plus or minus 15fps of 1100fps, just like we thought.( did you notice I hijacked your knowledge and made it ours ?)

Seriously, thanks for the heads up ! I like the Power Pistol load and will be buying more !

59 minutes ago, SJMPCC022 said:

Now that we are back from our Labor Day camping and trapshooting weekend, it is back to business !

I did chrono 5 rounds with 4.2 of Power Pistol and they were all plus or minus 15fps of 1100fps, just like we thought.( did you notice I hijacked your knowledge and made it ours ?)

Seriously, thanks for the heads up ! I like the Power Pistol load and will be buying more !

?

On 8/28/2018 at 8:40 PM, RangerTrace said:

Having to change your powder drop when you switch between your pistol load and PCC load.

My pcc loads an pistol loads are the same. I did have to shorten ovl to 1.115. But both work great. 148 pf in pcc an 130 pf in pistol. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've switched over to Sport Pistol from Titegroup. It's softer and much cleaner. Takes about .2 - .3 more to achieve similar pf as Titegroup.

2.5/147 blue bullet. Right at 130pf.
I bought the aftermarket Dillon powder bar with the micrometer. Well worth it. Very consistent drops.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

No Sir - Currently a PSA AR9 with a 16” barrel but plan on converting over to my JP GMR-15 that just arrived a couple of week ago....I have not yet put a round through the JP yet as I want to learn on my PSA before changing over to the JP...

I use this load currently because it is my IDPA pistol load.  Since I just recently (about 90 days ago) got into PCC I decided to use my pistol load for my PCC shooting for now espically since I have several thousand rounds already loaded of this recipe...  As I learn more about PCC shooting and shoot more, my plan will be to create a lighter load for my PCC rifles...

I welcome any guidance, comments, suggestions because my plan is to create a dedicated PCC load this winter as time allows.....Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226
5 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

No Sir - Currently a PSA AR9 with a 16” barrel but plan on converting over to my JP GMR-15 that just arrived a couple of week ago....I have not yet put a round through the JP yet as I want to learn on my PSA before changing over to the JP...

I use this load currently because it is my IDPA pistol load.  Since I just recently (about 90 days ago) got into PCC I decided to use my pistol load for my PCC shooting for now espically since I have several thousand rounds already loaded of this recipe...  As I learn more about PCC shooting and shoot more, my plan will be to create a lighter load for my PCC rifles...

I welcome any guidance, comments, suggestions because my plan is to create a dedicated PCC load this winter as time allows.....Mark

I get it, lots of rounds loaded, gotta use em" up !

Once you start loading for the rifle , go by your chronograph, not load data. I found the loads I started with checking out 250-300fps faster than published when fired through the PCC. Quite a stark difference in recoil!