Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which comp for 9mm PCC ?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Startingover said:

Here is a pic off their FB page last night.

They have made the new one, and can pin and weld for you.

I may have to try one

FB_IMG_1536145415847.jpg

Very Cool!  That may be the new hot ticket...  If there's no ramped version now, I wouldn't be surprised if one shows up before long.  Don't see this completed version on their website as of this moment.

Edited by jkrispies
18 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Very Cool!  That may be the new hot ticket...  If there's no ramped version now, I wouldn't be surprised if one shows up before long.  Don't see this completed version on their website as of this moment.

I talked with Tim this morning.  I'm ordering one this afternoon.  The barrel along with a carbon fiber handguard should lighten up my 8lb USPSA PCC.

37 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Taccom said that they are not making a ramped version in their facebook post when I asked

2 hours ago, stick said:

I talked with Tim this morning.  I'm ordering one this afternoon.  The barrel along with a carbon fiber handguard should lighten up my 8lb USPSA PCC.

2 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

Taccom said that they are not making a ramped version in their facebook post when I asked

Stick, keep us filled in on how it goes.  I've got their ULW in my current setup and love it.  Looking at the number,s I think this barrel should weigh about the same (maybe you could provide a weight when it arrives?) but have the benefit of some extra velocity out of the round, which I think could be beneficial for USPSA (vs. SC) when the plates need to be knocked over.  Keep us posted, and maybe there will be a ramped version at some point in the future.

3 hours ago, jkrispies said:

The Taccom facebook page states that they are leaving out the barrel orientation pin...  so that you can clock the barrel after the comp is spot welded...  That would preclude adding a ramp.

3 hours ago, stick said:

8 pounds?! Damn that's almost milspec territory.

I got my PCC down to 6lb 7 oz with an Iron City rail, Venom DD comp, and MFT stock. The Venom titanium (their plain black comp is just as light it feels - I have two) comp weighs 1.2 oz versus the JP coming in 4.5 oz and the Venom is probably an inch or so shorter so it's nice on a 16" barrel with less OAL and less weight so far out. I'd attach pics but cant go over 0.5 mb ? could always get a file share though.

48 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

The Taccom facebook page states that they are leaving out the barrel orientation pin...  so that you can clock the barrel after the comp is spot welded...  That would preclude adding a ramp.

Yes, but if TACCOM is doing the pin job then they can clock it correctly to the pin, I would think.  

12 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Yes, but if TACCOM is doing the pin job then they can clock it correctly to the pin, I would think.  

Sure they could...  But that would make them custom barrels...  and more expensive.

First I've ever heard of people clocking their compensators based on the hand the shoot with...  Not sure what they are trying to improve/correct by doing that... 

14 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Sure they could...  But that would make them custom barrels...  and more expensive.

First I've ever heard of people clocking their compensators based on the hand the shoot with...  Not sure what they are trying to improve/correct by doing that... 

LOL.  Well, speaking for myself as a lefty, I stick with straight up and down... but maybe I'm missing out and don't even know it, ha!

6 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

There was something on her a week or so ago on a different thread. Someone mentioned timing a comp to minimize the up and right movement of the barrel when a right handed shooter shoots.

I guess it could work, providing there is enough gas going through the comp to make it work ? 

8 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Stick, keep us filled in on how it goes.  I've got their ULW in my current setup and love it.  Looking at the number,s I think this barrel should weigh about the same (maybe you could provide a weight when it arrives?) but have the benefit of some extra velocity out of the round, which I think could be beneficial for USPSA (vs. SC) when the plates need to be knocked over.  Keep us posted, and maybe there will be a ramped version at some point in the future.

I'l keep you posted.  I have the ramped ULW in my Steel Challenge PCC.  I bought one of his test barrels.  It has an aluminum shroud instead of carbon fiber.  Tim told me it weighed 18 ounces and the carbon fiber weighs 17.

8 hours ago, mellino19 said:

8 pounds?! Damn that's almost milspec territory.

I got my PCC down to 6lb 7 oz with an Iron City rail, Venom DD comp, and MFT stock. The Venom titanium (their plain black comp is just as light it feels - I have two) comp weighs 1.2 oz versus the JP coming in 4.5 oz and the Venom is probably an inch or so shorter so it's nice on a 16" barrel with less OAL and less weight so far out. I'd attach pics but cant go over 0.5 mb ? could always get a file share though.

My Steel Challenge PCC weighs just over 5lbs.  My daughter's PCC weighs just under 5lbs.  Seeing I just made GM in Steel Challenge with the gun, it's time to lighten up my USPSA PCC. 8lbs is pretty heavy

I have played around with several and settled on the Kaw Valley Precision linear comp available at Joebobs for under $40.00. This is a picture of the standard size on my 8.5" pcc. It is aluminum and quite light.

IMG_5050.jpg

Edited by mpeltier
19 minutes ago, mpeltier said:

I have played around with several and settled on the Kaw Valley Precision linear comp available at Joebobs for under $40.00. This is a picture of the standard size on my 8.5" pcc. It is aluminum and quite light.

IMG_5050.jpg

FWIW, the taccom ULW is basically just a 5.5” barrel with a really long linear comp on it. I like it a lot and don’t feel like I could ask for more out of the barrel.   

8 hours ago, jkrispies said:

FWIW, the taccom ULW is basically just a 5.5” barrel with a really long linear comp on it. I like it a lot and don’t feel like I could ask for more out of the barrel.   

Thats great, I am familiar with it. I'm sure the Taccom product is good, as I've used several of their products on this build, It doesn't really answer the OP's question though, as he was asking about a lightweight comp, not a barrel replacement.

On 8/27/2018 at 2:28 PM, cecil said:

thinking about changing the comp on my 9MM PCC 14-1/2" Fortis tapered  barrel  … any recommendations  (brands)  ?   looking for less weight up front.... 

MBX Extreme makes a nice one. I have it on my PCC.

On 9/5/2018 at 2:08 PM, jkrispies said:

I got to test fire the new feather weight barrel yesterday.  I had to sight in my C-more.  

Here's my take so far:

I clocked the comp at 1:30  The impulse of recoil is straight up.  The gun shots very flat and damn is it accurate!  The weight of my USPSA PCC went from 8lbs to 6lbs 6.9oz and the balance of the gun feels excellent.  I'm sure I could get it under 6lbs, but I really like the Bmiller Aluminum magwell.  I'm shooting it in a match Saturday, we'll see how it goes.

*Yes, I moved the laser behind my C-more

featherweight.jpg

10 minutes ago, Timido said:

Nice.  I clocked my taccom barrel straight up same way my 16" barrel was with the comp on it.   I don't think 900 fps 147s are moving a comp anyway in my case

No, but according to Tim at Taccom, the 1:30 clock makes sense seeing the gun recoils up and to the right for right handed shooters.  At least that's what I'm told.  I'll drink the Kool-aid  and try it.

2 hours ago, stick said:

No, but according to Tim at Taccom, the 1:30 clock makes sense seeing the gun recoils up and to the right for right handed shooters.  At least that's what I'm told.  I'll drink the Kool-aid  and try it.

I don't know.  All of the Open shooters I've seen run their comps straight up, and I'd expect a pistol to show more up & right impulse than a PCC.  But if nothing else, it might help a little in blowing smoke out of your line of sight.

2 hours ago, stick said:

I guess I will try a hair past noon, when I get mine on.

(I don't know if I will go clear to 130)

Glad to hear its working good so far.

Edited by Startingover

Up right for right handed shooter is probably due to the stock pushing against the right shoulder causing a twist right, and up from the typical muzzle rise.  Mirror effect for a lefty.  I’m assuming.  

Theoretically not as much for pistol if you’re using an isosceles stance.  I’m assuming.  

Edited by jkrispies