Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which comp for 9mm PCC ?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that has large, upward facing holes.  In retrospect, I should have gotten something more like the MBX comp than the Lantac that I have.  There's not a lot of gas with a 9mm, so it makes more sense to direct all of it upwards rather than a little bit up and most of it to the sides.

20 minutes ago, longbeard said:

I'd recommend you don't bother.  You'll get further with a soft charge than a comp.  I added a comp, and now I  just have more stuff to clean. 

If you are dead set on it.  I would look at coda evolution.  https://codaevolution.com/collections/compensators/products/fury-titanium-compensator-9mm-flame-anodised

nice... but a tad pricy … 

thanks,

Hello: Since you have a 14.5" barrel and I am guessing it has a pinned and welded comp on there now you will need to remove the old one first. I would use the lightest tube to make it 16" long. I have run a 16" with just a thread protector I made out of a piece of aluminum. Works great. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, scooterj said:

If you are looking for weight reduction, the aluminum MBX is the only one that makes sense. 

anyone know the weight of a MBX ???  no weight stated on their website.. 

3 hours ago, cecil said:

anyone know the weight of a MBX ???  no weight stated on their website.. 

The first comp on my PCC gun was an aluminum one I made, it weighs 338.2gr, in your hand or on the gun it feels like nothing.

I have since made one out of steel for the shiny factor and a little added weight out at the end of the barrel. That one also feels like nothing but it is heavier than the aluminum one.

The CODA evolution wouldn’t do jack for muzzle rise anyway. That design is 100% dedicated to mitigating rearward recoil, and does nothing to nudge the muzzle downward.

EDIT: and that’s all they’re good for. A nudge. 90% of your flatness comes from buffer & ammo & spring tuning. A properly tuned comp can just take the last little bit out of what’s left.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On the subject of comps... Taccom released their new CF sleeved barrel, but it's 13.5".  That's going to need a comp at least 3" long to pin and make it legal.  It's also 1/2x28 threaded instead of 1/2x36.  Anyone have an idea of what comps are long enough to work, with that threading available?

5 hours ago, mahamoti said:

On the subject of comps... Taccom released their new CF sleeved barrel, but it's 13.5".  That's going to need a comp at least 3" long to pin and make it legal.  It's also 1/2x28 threaded instead of 1/2x36.  Anyone have an idea of what comps are long enough to work, with that threading available?

Hhmmm...  Interesting barrel and question.

Hiperfire Hipercomp maybe:  https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/muzzle-devices/compensators-amp-muzzle-brakes/ar-15-hipercomp-compensator-9mm-prod117700.aspx 

Edited by jkrispies

Well I have an MBX comp on my Rock River 16" barrel. It does a pretty nice job of keeping the muzzle on target.

I have the MBX 14" barrel with the steel comp on it. It does keep it on target.

Both of these look more like pistol comps so they handle the 9mm well.

I am also using Wolff XP buffer springs and heavy buffers in both carbines. The MBX 14 has the Q buffer in it. I found this set up took all the climb and twist out. I can hit steel as fast as I can move from one target to the next.

18 hours ago, mahamoti said:

I think the mbx is that long 

1 hour ago, NoKimberDave said:

MBX is 3"

That looks like a very good design... just ugly as crap.  It has the proper thread pattern too. Aluminum should be lightweight.  I think the new TACCOM barrel with an MBX brake would make a good pairing, actually.  

I'm glad I just found this post because I was going to post something similar!

So I have two uppers; one is a JP 16" stainless barrel with a JP 3-port comp (http://www.makereadyproshop.com/jp-9mm-3-port-compensator/) and the other is a Warsport 14.5" black barrel with a Venom Defense and Design 9mm compensator (https://www.venomdd.com/products/ar9-9mm-compensators)

I brought both uppers to the range this weekend using both factory 115gr Winchester ammo and my reloads which are 147gr with 3.2g of Titegroup (used in my CO G34 as well). Now, of course both loads will produce various amounts of gas in each barrel based on the length. I absolutely noticed the Venom comp working better than the JP comp with both the factory ammo and reloads. The venom had less muzzle rise than the JP because of the port designs, the top 4 cuts in the Venom definitely help keep the muzzle from climbing and it's hard not to see the gas shoot straight up from them; that's another reason so many people recommend the MBX which I'd love to try but they don't make a stainless version for 1/2x36. A friend of mine has the MBX on his 7.5" SBR and it seems to work well.

The JP comp is about 3" long and fairly heavy compared to the Venom comp and I'm sure that weight plays a factor in keeping the barrel down however it seems to just vent gas to the sides which I would imagine is more beneficial on higher powered rifles; JP basically took their 5.56 and .308 3port comps and made it work for a 9mm in my opinion just based on looks although the ports are opened slightly more toward the top.

Basically, I like the Venom more than my $100 JP comp and ordered a second to go on my stainless 16" JP barrel and plan to update the post when I install it and get rounds down range. Another reason I want to ditch the JP comp is because it's 3" long and being on a 16" barrel it makes it a little more challenger to maneuver through some stages so I figure shaving an inch off with a different comp is better than another $200+ on a shorter barrel (yet I built a second upper...)

PWS, Patriot Defense, and SJC are three other PCC comp makers that I'd be interested in checking out.

I hope some of this experience helps!

American Precision Arms is supposed to be releasing new brakes for 3 gun and PCC soon. Max (Lucas Oil PCC winner... see thread on main page) is using prototypes of these. APA is known for their brakes for larger calibers for precision shooting (6.5 creedmoor, .338 Lapua, etc.).

Between the reputation they already have with larger calibers + Max using them, I'm pretty interested in checking them out when they come out.

I have an Odin Works Atlas 9 on my PCC right now. I got it because of the unique design. (Easy user install... no crush washers or shims needed... titanium outer sleeve that can be spun to time the brake, etc.) It works alright, but there's still a bit of dot climb. I might drill out the hole in the titanium sleeve to try to reduce that more.

Edited by avastcosmicarena