Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 - weird issue when new safety installed

IHAVEGAS

Have an old frame stock 2 that seems to be a Monday morning frame.

Put a new safety in - single action does not work 70% of the time if you cock the hammer by racking the slide, hammer stays cocked when you pull the trigger - if you bring the hammer to fully back with your thumb and then pull the trigger again the hammer will drop as normal - the bar on the safety that stops the sear when the safety is engaged is not stopping the sear except when it is supposed to & double action works fine - with old safety reinstalled everything works fine also - the shaft of the old safety measures very slightly larger in diameter than the new safety but I suspect that this in normal production tolerance and everything feels right (no detectable slop) when the new safety is installed.

Not in a bind because the gun works fine with the old safety and the new safety works fine in a different gun but it seems like something has to be on the edge of not working so I figured I'd see if the brain trust had ever run into something similar. My guess is that when the hammer is in the failed state and then I roll it back the rest of the way with my thumb I'm creating needed motion of either sear to hammer hook interface or bottom leg of sear to trigger bar interface. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

6 hours ago, yigal said:

trigger bar touch safety .

47 minutes ago, leemoe83 said:

Trigger bar must not be coming up far enough after the slide pushes it down.  Can you rack the slide and insert something in the magwell to see if trigger bar can be pushed upwards?

I think you folks have probably got me pointed in the right direction.

Thank you!

Life is going to get in the way of working on the gun for the next few days. Will explore as you have noted & come back with what I see.