Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IRC + Classifer Match How many rounds to bring

Howdy,

I registered for the IRC this weekend.  I've got flights, hotel etc.  I, however, am not sure how many rounds to bring.  I'm also going to shoot the classifier match on Thursday morning.  As a guestimate, 14 stages X 32 rounds is 448, so I'd add another 60 for cushion.  Then I'd add another 100 for the classifer match.  Does 625-650 rounds sound correct?  

Thanks!

Jason

1 hour ago, Makicjf said:

Howdy,

I registered for the IRC this weekend.  I've got flights, hotel etc.  I, however, am not sure how many rounds to bring.  I'm also going to shoot the classifier match on Thursday morning.  As a guestimate, 14 stages X 32 rounds is 448, so I'd add another 60 for cushion.  Then I'd add another 100 for the classifer match.  Does 625-650 rounds sound correct?  

Thanks!

Jason

Add another 100 just to be safe. I told the folks taking my class Monday to bring 1000 and I don't think they're shooting the classifiers. 

2 hours ago, Makicjf said:

I like the idea of shipping in, but what is the best system for shipping the unfired rounds home?

Jason

Fly with them in MTM boxes or ship via UPS/FedEx. Shipping ammo isn't hard, just some special requirements & stickers.

I found a container at Walmart that fits mooned up short colts perfectly. Each one holds 256 so I bought 3.  I may buy a fourth.  All my ammo, tools and revolver will fit in my locking long gun case..  

Should work well

Thanks, ya'll

Jason

1535419689187750924918.jpg

Whoa! Those boxes can’t be used to transport ammo on an airplane. Each round has to have an individual place separated from the other rounds in the box. Think factory ammo boxes, not bulk packed. Ammo can’t be shipped in the same locked case as the firearm is shipped in. Check with your airline’s baggage policies prior to showing up at the airport. I fly a lot to matches with guns and ammo and it’s easy, as long as you follow the rules.

Guns and ammo can be in the same case, the gun just needs to be locked up separate of the ammo. 

The best way to fly with ammo, with the least amount of hassle from TSA (I don't even tell the airline about the ammo) is to use see through, individually packed (think Berry's or Dillon) boxes. I stack mine nicely in a separate small pelican case, leave it unlocked and check it all by its lonesome in my range bag.  

I used to check it with my clothes, but it gets really old pulling rounds out of clean clothes. TSA isn't always the most gentle.

Thanks! I'm going to take pictures of my set up to the TSA at the local airport.  That will clear up any confusion I have directly from the horses mouth.

If this passes muster, I need to get a slightly larger locking hard case as all three don't quite fit.

Thanks ,

Jason

Our ammo is already at the match, per MWP’s instructions there are 2 1000 round boxes at the match.  I’m sure Mark is wondering why so much ammo! Lol

Best to check the airlines ammo limit, I’ve 11lbs on Air Canada that can’t be combined to 22lbs for 2 people.  Plus $55 cdn fee for the firearms -each way.  I might just have to donate any leftovers as it might cost more than it’s worth to ship back UPS to our PO box in Buffalo.  

For Canadians the only way to ship ammo is to cross the border with the ammo and head to a UPS depot with a customer care center.  Pretty easy but I can’t use my business UPS account #.  Paying retail rates hurts.

And for Air Canada ammo must be separate from firearms.

Edited by MikeyScuba

Up here things are not as easy....

The firearm and the ammunition must not be packed in the same container

And I can take 11lbs each but for both of us it must be 11lbs total in separate containers. Not 22lbs in one bag. At least I snagged biz seats on points so I might bring an extra bag just for ammo, I've 4 bags "free"

7 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Just a note....

Squad 13 is empty, are you all superstitious or what?  K. got lonely and decamped to squad 12 lol leaving 13 empty.

I am hoping that swordfish is coming and bringing a  lot of friends to fill the squad.

On 8/28/2018 at 1:29 PM, MikeyScuba said:

Up here things are not as easy....

And I can take 11lbs each but for both of us it must be 11lbs total in separate containers. Not 22lbs in one bag. At least I snagged biz seats on points so I might bring an extra bag just for ammo, I've 4 bags "free"

Most airlines only allow 11lbs per passenger not 11lbs per suitcase. You might want to check with your airline. 

On 8/27/2018 at 11:28 AM, MWP said:

Add another 100 just to be safe. I told the folks taking my class Monday to bring 1000 and I don't think they're shooting the classifiers. 

You did? Lol how much are we gonna be shooting?

On 8/29/2018 at 11:25 PM, mchapman said:

I am hoping that swordfish is coming and bringing a  lot of friends to fill the squad.

I have at least me! Still waiting to see if one friend is coming. Another friend just had to spend $1600 to get rid of bedbugs so he says he's out this year. What a wimp.

• 2 weeks later...