Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help with 40 S&W Precision Delta 180 gr. FMJ Load

jim6918

I hope I haven't committed a faux pas by posting the same information in two different posts, but here goes.  I have Googled this to death.

I was setting up first set of dies (40 S&W) in my brand new 550C and bought a package of PD 180 gr. FMJ bullets just to get the hang of decapping, sizing and seating depth and OAL and crimping.  I bought them without checking any load data first and am now having trouble finding a recipe.  I was hoping to be able to use Vit N320, but would settle for any decent soft recoil, clean burning powder, like W231 or HP-38.  Loading initially for plinking loads at this point; just punching holes.  No competition in my future.  LOL

PD website says to just use load data for any comparable bullet.  Viht load data doesn't list similar bullet.  Maybe I should just skip considering Vit until I do more research.

I hate to just put the PD 180's on the shelf to gather dust.

Any suggestions?  

They are 180grain FMJ bullets... any other 180gr FMJ bullet should be about the same. Find the starting load and back of 10%, then start working up in .2gr incriments.

Or search here, quite a few guys run N320 & FMJ's in 40.

33 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

N320 is one of the best possible choices under a 180gr FMJ. 

What length are you loading to?  If loading long, a good place to start is...

1.180" OAL

4.8gr N320

I have length currently setup to 1.125 OAL, but I am getting pretty good now at making fine tune changes.  Shooting in Gen 2 G22 and G23.  

Thanks

Edited by jim6918
additional date

What power factor are you trying to load?  When I started using P Delta 180 gr. RNFP I was loading 3.5 gr. of N320 @ 1.145 OAL and getting a soft shooting load at a Power Factor of 134.1. The barrel of you Glock and your magazine .will determine what length you need to load at.  I load my 1911 to 1.165 and my STI to 1.180. I load 4.1 gr. to get 130 PF with the STI. That is with a P. Delta 180 gr, JHP.