Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Conformation on 147 FMJ vs Coated load data please

CTJer

Just started loading over the winter and have only loaded coated lead.

Using Tite Group and a coated 147g bullet, I'm putting 3-3.2g to make PF.

Am I correct that FMJ need a bit more powder?    I was going to load at 3.4-3.5g under a 147g Everglades FMJ RN.

3 hours ago, CTJer said:

Using Tite Group and a coated 147g bullet, I'm putting 3-3.2g to make PF.

Am I correct that FMJ need a bit more powder?    I was going to load at 3.4-3.5g under a 147g Everglades FMJ RN.

Whatever you used to determine you were making power factor before, use that again.

That said, if for some reason that isn't an option, why not just make a ladder from 3.4 up to 3.7, test for accuracy, and choose the most accurate load.  I can assure you the difference in the recoil impulse isn't going to affect your splits.

I ended up loading 3.4g at an OAL of 1.145 (just happened to be what my die was set at for loading to 1.125 on the coated)

Ended up with 4” group at 25yds.  

Going to drop that OAL to see if I can tighten that up a bit. 

Also ran some 147g Blue Bullets to test out.  Group was about 9” with two different charges, 3.0g and 3.4g.  

Pretty terrible.  Don’t think my gun likes the .355. 

38 minutes ago, CTJer said:

I ended up loading 3.4g at an OAL of 1.145 (just happened to be what my die was set at for loading to 1.125 on the coated)

Ended up with 4” group at 25yds.  

Going to drop that OAL to see if I can tighten that up a bit. 

Also ran some 147g Blue Bullets to test out.  Group was about 9” with two different charges, 3.0g and 3.4g.  

Pretty terrible.  Don’t think my gun likes the .355. 

My guns HATED the BBI 147’s. I had to load them down to 1.110 for my CZ and the grouping was horrible, I really wanted to like them but I’ve settled on using plated bullets, I was using xtremes but since they are getting harder to get quickly I went with the Berry’s.