Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Certain 223 brass keeps breaking decapping pins

leam

I have some 223 range brass and one certain set keeps breaking my decapping pin. The head stamp top looks like an upside down question mark sitting in a "U", the bottom says ".223", and there are lines from the top to the bottom. The primers seem to have a red residue around the edge. Inside the case it's a single hole. Maybe just smaller?

Tried to take a picture of the headstamp but my phone camera can't get a good focus.

I have some 223 range brass and one certain set keeps breaking my decapping pin. The head stamp top looks like an upside down question mark sitting in a "U", the bottom says ".223", and there are lines from the top to the bottom. The primers seem to have a red residue around the edge. Inside the case it's a single hole. Maybe just smaller?

Tried to take a picture of the headstamp but my phone camera can't get a good focus.

I have the same brass and have the same issues. Trashed them after broke two pins. No clue where they came from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked down the spout and it seems to be one hole. Date night tonight, so will have to wait till tomorrow to cut one open and see. Wife is getting a macro picture of it for me though.

On 8/25/2018 at 8:53 PM, leam said:

It's nice to have a wife who does macro photography. Here's the headstamp. The single primer hole seems to be smaller than normal.

I have never seen that before either...it does appear to have sealant and a very aggressive crimp. 

I break or bend a lot of decapping pins....the culprit is usually tumbling media that has gotten into the shellplate grooves and offcenters the case, berdan brass (rare in this caliber), brass with a small or slightly offcenter flash hole, and some that are just hard to decap. I've had brass that bulges the primer out and pushes the decap rod up into the die before decapping it. 

Good luck.