Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 9mm

Drillbit

There are no Pro 2.0's yet.  There are also no black 5" 2.0's yet - they're all FDE.  The only choice for 5" 2.0 is thumb safety or not.  If you get a thumb safety, it can be removed, and they'll send you the plugs for the frame if you ask.

2 hours ago, Drillbit said:

Ah, no wonder I could not find one.

Are there any advantages to the Pro over the 2.0? 

The pro gets you better sights and a slightly less worse trigger. It’s a range toy for casual shooters, but not up to snuff as a competitior’s gun.

A set of Warren or Dawson or whomever’s sights and some APEX goodies go into either gun right away. Paying extra for the PRO is a waste of money.

I’d hold out for a 5” 2.0 (non Pro) to become available if you have your heart set on the M&P platform.

15 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The pro gets you better sights and a slightly less worse trigger. It’s a range toy for casual shooters, but not up to snuff as a competitior’s gun.

A set of Warren or Dawson or whomever’s sights and some APEX goodies go into either gun right away. Paying extra for the PRO is a waste of money.

I’d hold out for a 5” 2.0 (non Pro) to become available if you have your heart set on the M&P platform.

Well, I went ahead and bought the 2.0 in FDE. The price was very good at $399.00 so if I don't like I won't be out a lot of money.

I will be shooting this mainly  in IDPA so where should I start on upgrades?    I don't know much at all about Apex so any suggestions will be appreciated. The sights I'm guessing  will be something in fiber optic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread....   I have the M&P 2.0 with the 4.25" and use it for both IDPA and USPSA.    I'm relatively new but hold my own.

I also have an XD(m) Competition with the 5.25" barrel.     I started using the M&P a few months back because it just felt "quicker" in my hands.   It almost feels like a sports car vs a truck.

I know the other option is for the M&P with the 5" barrel and honestly, i'm wanting one.   But, i'm concerned it will have that big truck feel compared to what I get with the 4.25" version.   As was noted by someone, i will probably just get one anyway based on the cost -- really reasonable.

I have been very happy with the performance and results, so hard to switch from something that is really working well.   I just wish they (S&W) would have made it a 1/4" shorter so that it would fit in the CCP box.

On 8/28/2018 at 3:23 PM, ramnj said:

Is your state a 10 round magazine? I've had nothing but problems with the full-size 10 round magazines in both my M&P's and PCC when I put 10 rounds in them.  Work fine with only 9 rounds. If your not restricted, get the bigger mags and only load them to 10 rounds.

What problems are you having with the 10 rounders? Will the 10th round not stay in the mag or is it something else?

• 2 weeks later...

Legal stuff. 

AWB required a neutered magazine absolutely would not accept an 11th round, resulting in tight 10th and even 9th. 

I have some thin bases for MP9 that get it to CCP 5.375". 

Or you can sand down the bottom of a Maryland clip. 

With respect to the "Burwell trigger job" ...

I'm not at all familiar with the 2.0 M&P but I was under the impression that there was a fairly significant redesign as far as the trigger bar/sear is concerned.

If that is true then it is possible that you could use the Burwell video to give you an idea of how you might do something similar to a 2.0 M&P but there is also a chance it is not applicable at all for the 2.0.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the inner design differences of 1.0 vs. 2.0 could comment on this?

Edited by ddc
typo

On 10/11/2018 at 9:14 AM, HookupAndGo said:

I have been very happy with the performance and results, so hard to switch from something that is really working well.   I just wish they (S&W) would have made it a 1/4" shorter so that it would fit in the CCP box.

Get an M&P 2.0 Compact w/ 4" barrel. The grip is still plenty long enough, and you are only putting 10 rounds in the mags anyway. Mine is my carry gun, but I also run it in IDPA on the rare occasion I shoot that discipline. BONUS: Available in black :roflol:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

On 10/11/2018 at 9:14 AM, HookupAndGo said:

I just wish they (S&W) would have made it a 1/4" shorter so that it would fit in the CCP box.

I've "heard" that the Massachusetts compliant 10 round mag base can be sanded down far enough so that a 4.5" M&P to fit into the CCP box.

Alternatively there are mag bases from "Toni System" that are supposed to fit CCP:  http://www.tonisystem.it/EN/accessories-smith-wesson.html

I have no idea if that is true; just passing along a possibility.

3 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

Get an M&P 2.0 Compact w/ 4" barrel. The grip is still plenty long enough, and you are only putting 10 rounds in the mags anyway. Mine is my carry gun, but I also run it in IDPA on the rare occasion I shoot that discipline. BONUS: Available in black :roflol:

When I saw that model advertised I was thinking maybe a decent CCP pistol.

Go with a 5” 2.0. You’re going to want the longer sight radius and the 2.0 has a great grip texture. It’s the only polymer gun I’ve ever felt that I don’t need to add anything to the grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:17 PM, ddc said:

I've "heard" that the Massachusetts compliant 10 round mag base can be sanded down far enough so that a 4.5" M&P to fit into the CCP box.

Alternatively there are mag bases from "Toni System" that are supposed to fit CCP:  http://www.tonisystem.it/EN/accessories-smith-wesson.html

I have no idea if that is true; just passing along a possibility.

Me, too.

I splurged on three Toni System bases to get my 4.25" Plastic M&P into CCP.  They do get the height down to 5.375" although I haven't had them in an official Box yet.  I also sanded down a spare plastic base, it cracked but hasn't popped off... yet.  If I want more, I will sand down some 10 shooters; shipping from Italy is expen$ive. 

I am also contemplating a 5", a friend's is definitely steadier for SSP/Prod. 

I thought about grabbing a Pro before they 2.0-ed everything but am now looking for a 5" CORE.  I figure I could shoot it with the iron sights.  I am not now interested in CO, but if I wanted to take it up, that would get me in with no fuss. 

There is now a 5" 2.0 without thumb safety or "tactile chamber indicator" for a good deal less money than the first run with those devices.  Still brown, though.  Somebody heard that it will be two years before they make them in black. 

If you like a rough grip, the 2.0 is fine, and I don't think you will miss the beavertail.

They have been set up to prevent auto-forward on the reload, which many IDPA shooters consider a feature, not a bug. 

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, ramnj said:

How has the 2.0 been working for you? Have you done any mods?

I really like it. The only thing that I have done to it was to install an Apex sear for a smoother trigger pull, I'm not sure I will change anything else. I bought the gun to shoot in IDPA and have done well with it.   

• 1 month later...